Gunboards Forums banner

Carcano Single Load?

5K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  ireload2 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I have an opportunity to pick up a 38 Carcano, But the range I visit allows only single round loading.

I know little of carcanos but know the stripper clip is of importance, Can the 38 Carcano be loading with 1 round at a time only?.

Thanks

#2 ·
The easiest would be to use a clip with one round at a time, holding the round through both sides as you load. You can load one at a time without a clip by starting the front into the chamber while holding the case down against the mag spring, but it takes some practice. You have to let the case head ride up into the extactor. I don't know why they just didn't bevel the extractor so it could slip over the extractor groove of a chambered round. Suppose it was their idea of controlled feed.

#4 ·
That's what I do as well.

Place the bullet end into the chamber with the case touching the ramp tilted upward, move the bolt forward carefully to pick up the case head into the extractor. This works well on some Carcanos and less well on others.

Loading singly into the clip always works as far as smoother feeding but sometimes the clip doesn't seat as well (with only one round in it)and lock-into its retainer which means you have to fiddle-around with it. Sometimes the clip won't drop out and you will need to pull it out from below.

Good luck!

Tiledude

#6 ·
I didn't seem to have any problem with the method of putting the front of the cartridge in the chamber first, and pushing down the rear on top of the spring, and then slowly pushing the bolt closed. Chambered every time and the extractor took over without fail. Your rifle, however, may require a different technique.

#8 · (Edited)
You can simply tip the case head into the bolt face under the extractor hook and then swing down to align with the chamber and close the bolt.

Of course you could always ask the range manager to make an exception since the Carcano will not close on a single round.
Doe he require the same of revolvers?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.