Gunboards Forums banner

I'm pissed

1K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  richardwv 
#1 ·
Ok, I was going through my collection when I noticed this on my Bulgarian contract M95 short rifle.

I have had this rifle for about 8 months and never noticed it because the mark was lightly struck.

First question is there any way the mark is legitimate?

Second is there any way to easily remove the mark with hurting the finish or using sandpaper?

See less See more
#2 ·
you bet

First, take the gun apart, and scrub the wood with heavy sandpaper, then run it thru the dishwasher like the M-1 guys do. After that, wrap it in newspaper and set it in a black cars trunk in the sun for a few days. That will get'er dry pretty quick. When you get it out, you'll notice the grain is "a little" raised, but no problem. Hit it with 000 sandpaper, then work down to fine steel wool. When done, go to Lowe's, or your nearest boat shop and get the cheapest Polyurethane (I like the stuff you make paperweights out of), and layer it on. 5 -8 coats will make that puppy shine!
You can't imagine the looks you will get at the next gun show!!! ;)

#5 ·
Well after reading the previous two threads on this topic...no...not legit. So what? It's a silly novelty. The rifle isn't "ruined". It's a conversation piece. Leave it be.

#6 ·
The only thing I can think of is that if it is struck light enough steaming it out may at least partially work... or not.

#8 ·
That's definitely the buttstock landscape.

#12 ·
The Bulgarian contract guns are a lot more rare than the regular Steyr or Budapest made examples. There is a rampant lion in a shield on the top of the receiver and the date and factory stamped on the left side of the receiver rail.

#14 ·
Personally I’d be upset as well and would remove the fake stamp if for no other reason that it would serve to remind me of the con men and idiots in the firearms trade. Because of the light stamping, I would think a light rubbing with denatured alcohol in the area of the stamp, followed by steaming to raise the grain and then a LIGHT sanding with fine sandpaper would remove all traces of the stamp. Follow this with some dark BLO and given a few years of BLO oxidation I would think all signs of it (or anything for that matter) would be gone. Even if it did leave a slightly lighter spot on the stock I would far prefer that to a fake Nazi stamp.

#15 ·
^^^Really?^^^
Why not just grind it off with a dremel sanding drum? The damage is done. It's no worse than an import stamp.

#16 · (Edited)
I guess the difference to me is one is a mandated defacing (the import stamp) that is authentic albeit obnoxious, and the other is an attempt to defraud. Gov't regs bother me, frauds bother me a lot more. It is as easy to remove as a minor ding in a stock, so what's the harm in getting rid of someone's stupid (and frankly illegal if listed as Nazi marked) idea of "improving" the firearm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.