Gunboards Forums banner

Do all M95s have bad triggers?

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  insle 
#1 ·
I just took my M95 out of the safe to look at today and realized how bad the trigger is. Its hard to squeeze and doesnt have a very clean break either. I have to really pull it for it to fire. Do they all have this problem or is it just mine?

#2 ·
Not bad, just stiff military triggers.

#3 ·
The vast majority of military arms have triggers that range from sort of decent to terrrible. A smooth light trigger pull with a crisp let off is truely an exception and normally a sign that it has been tuned a bit. Rough trigger pulls with less than a crisp let off is in the nature of mass produced military arms, most of which are designed to have a much stiffer pull than is considered acceptable today. Any gunsmith can smooth things up a bit, but in general this isn't a job for a DIY, since it takes just a few wrong moves to make a trigger dangerous.

#6 ·
The vast majority of military arms have triggers that range from sort of decent to terrrible. A smooth light trigger pull with a crisp let off is truely an exception and normally a sign that it has been tuned a bit. Rough trigger pulls with less than a crisp let off is in the nature of mass produced military arms, most of which are designed to have a much stiffer pull than is considered acceptable today. Any gunsmith can smooth things up a bit, but in general this isn't a job for a DIY, since it takes just a few wrong moves to make a trigger dangerous.
Then there must just be something wierd with my trigger because my other military rifles, a Mosin Nagant, M48, and M1917 all have great triggers compared to this, and my M1917 has a trigger that rivals most unmodified hunting rifles.

#4 ·
I wouldn't say that any of my 95's pull very hard, a little on the soft side, relative to some other surps. But there's not a noticeable 'break', just a 'spongy' pull after it reaches the second stage. I do recall seeing a modification back on the old board where the trigger spring was replaced with ball point pen spring, supposedly to soften it up bit. Trigger mods can be done on your own if your'e mechanically inclined, and have an understanding of the mechanics involved. That said, you have to make sure there's enough engagement of the sear/release so that the rifle won't end firing if dropped or bumped. And it's always nice to have spare parts at hand just in case. If it's something you haven't done before or are unfamiliar with them of course I would avoid it. And I have never found the need to modify any of my 95 triggers.

#7 ·
If your MILSURP was fresh from factory wrappers, than that is an exception. However if you're the second, third, whatever civilian owner, a lot of them have been tuned a bit. The M1917 is particularly known for its indifferent pull as issued...you could feel the machining marks as you tried to squeeze it off.....but few of them in circulation now haven't been tweaked.

As John states, drop back to the BP cartridge era and many of the pulls required real finger strength and control.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.