Gunboards Forums banner

Photos from Vienna 1938

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Devo 
#1 ·
One is of of the "new" Nazi police restraining demonstrators and the other is of some kind of honor guard. Note those fancy Stahlhelms. Plenty of Repetierkarabiner M.95/30s.

#2 ·
Great photos, thanks!

#3 ·
Stahlhelms and M95/30...

The M95/30 Karabiner and Stutzen are Shortened M95 Rifles (Long Rearsight)
and the Stahlhelm are the M1916 (big ventilation boss on sides). Austria adopted the M1916 late in WW I, and continued using it until after 1938. The Incorporated Austrian Army units then went over to the Modernised SH M1933/4.

IN late 1938, the Rifles Carbines etc in 8x56R were packed up and sent to Bulgaria...where according to a Bulgarian source, they gained the designation M938 and M939???>>>

Nick can you confirm this?( I saw your print-out of the Bulgarian manuals for the M95 and the "M95/34" (sic)...I know that Bulgaria adopted the 8x56R (M30) Cartridge in 1934-35, but when was the calibre conversion "Official"? Manufacture at Khazanlak seems to have started in 1936 for 8x56R, and large quantities of Czech 8x50R were contracted in 1934-35 to cover the Factory calibre conversion period.

Nice photographs...hope many more show up before getting Pulped or trashed, as most old Journals and newspapers do...

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

#4 · (Edited)
The 8x56R was adopted in Bulgaria in 1934. The shortening of the infantry M.95 to carbine length also began in 1934, hence the designation 95/34. It makes perfect sense to do both modifications at the same time.

In late 1938, the Rifles Carbines etc in 8x56R were packed up and sent to Bulgaria...where according to a Bulgarian source, they gained the designation M938 and M939???
Not a single Bulgarian source that I am aware of uses these designations, and I have seen several official army manuals, ordnance guides and other historic materials. What is your Bulgarian source?

#13 ·
After the Austrian Civil War of 1934, the new government replaced the First Republic's single-headed eagle with a new version of the Imperial doppeladler. The emblem on the helmets are two-headed eagles with a nimbus (halo) behind the eagle's heads.

-Devo

#7 ·
Nick:

The M.95/34 designation is one thought up by U.S. importers. According to my sources in Germany and Austria, the correct designations for the shortened and rechambered rifles were M.95/30 (Austria) or 31.M (Hungary).

#8 · (Edited)
Nick:

The M.95/34 designation is one thought up by U.S. importers....
Not true, 95/34 is an official Bulgarian army nomenclature of the gun. I have discussed this at length here.

See scans from not one, but two Bulgarian army manuals. The first is post-WWII, the second is before WWII.

(Note another nomenclature, the 1888/18 carbine; I've seen two of these in Bulgaria, very neat! What do your sources in Germany and Austria say about that? :eek: )

#9 · (Edited)
Very interesting. I have never seen those manuals before. But then that has nothing to do with the Austrian or Hungarian designations. According to my Bulgarian source the German supplied ex-Austrian Karabiner M.95/30 were also known as the Karabina Mannlicher obrazetz 1939.

Many thanks.

#10 · (Edited)
.. But then that has nothing to do with the Austrian or Hungarian designations...
It follows the same original year/conversion year structure; the conversion years are different for the three countries, hence the difference in the designations.
...According to my Bulgarian source the German supplied ex-Austrian Karabiner M.95/30 were also known as the Karabina Mannlicher obrazetz 1939.
I have never seen this designation and I have several Bulgarian manuals, books and monographs on Bulgarian weapons. By 1938 the conversion from 8x50R to 8x56R was complete, so the designation obr. 1939 wouldn't make much sense. What is your Bulgarian source?

Most 1895/34's were converted in Bulgaria. Reamers and "S" stamps still exist in army repair facilities. I tried to buy a set, but no luck. :mad:

More Bulgarian Mannlicher manuals, M.90 & M.95:

#11 ·
He is a Bulgarian gentleman who now lives in the USA and is a collector of militaria from his home country. He translated several manuals and other material for me when I did an article on Bulgarian military rifle cartridges for the SGN several years ago.

I'm not sure he wants his name post here. I'm sure you understand.

#12 ·
I understand, that's why I asked "what", not "who" is your source - as in what documents was "obr. 1939" quoted? I am very curious, because the "obr. 1939" designation directly contradicts the well established (and well documented) M.95 & M.95/34 nomenclature.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.