Gunboards Forums banner

French Lebel Revolver 1892

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  vonmazur 
#1 ·
Hello...I am mostly a lurker on the gunboards forum and this is my first visit to the French arms forum. I have inherited a revolver which I have found a little info on and would like to know more about it and its sale value. I wish to find out it's sale value because I am not a collector and do not wish to start collecting.

The revolver as I have found out is a French Lebel mod. 1892 8mm x 27R made in 1899. Please understand that my desctiption in no way reflects and NRA standards of "condition" but only my observations as a long time gun owner. Once I find out more I will be glad to have someone tell me its level of "NRA condition".

The revolver has some surface rust but all-in-all is in very good shape. It functions without any flaws that I can detect is double and single action. The cylinder is tight and opens out fine and the shell ejector slide in the cylinder works fine also. The barrel seems to be in verry good shape with no pitting that I can detect with good rifling. I am not sure of what the original finish was supposed to be but it appears possible a deep bluing and it shows some bluing. I would asy the finish is "worn" but all serial, model, and armory markings are clearly visible and legible.

This revolver was inherited from an uncle which was a WWII European theater veteran and was said to have brought this revolver back when he returned home.

Please tell me all you can about this revolver and its possible value. I have some pictures that I can e-mail to anyone interested or willing to assist me.

Thank you very much,
DanL

See less See more
#2 ·
Mle 1892 Rev...

Dan: If you e mail me the pix, I can give you a definate answer as to value. Generally, in the condition you have described, they do not bring as much as minty guns, or those with no rust or not much wear. Of course, any gun dated 1898 or earlier brings more money in the US because it is an Antique and not subject to the GCA of 1968.

Technically this is not a "Lebel". Le Colonel Lebel did not have anything to do with this gun. Fiocchi has promulgated this legend with their labelling of their ammo. Such stories have a life of their own in the US.

For you revolver to have some value, other than for parts, the lanyard ring must be present on the gun, and the grips have to be generally in good shape. These are the two things that seem to be a problem with these fine guns...

The Frame and Crane, the Cylinder were rust blued, except on very early guns, which were temper blued, but this was only in 1892. The Hammer, Trigger, Loading Gate and other parts like Springs were "Straw Colored Temper", like you see on Luger Parts.

Dale

#3 ·
Hi Dale. Thanks for the reply. I have e-mailed you via this forum but do not know how to attach pics with this medium. by my contact you should have my e-mail addy. please reply and I will attach a pic or so via the medium which I am familiar.

The revolver stock slabs are in very good condition and the lanyard ring is also in excellent shape. Let me tell you... if the ammo was inexpensive and relatively availabe it would be a great gun. It has a great feel and I can actually operate it through double action without pulling off sight.

In the case of the rust bluing and other finish...this means that the existing finnish is not that worn after all.

Thanks again,
Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.