PDA

View Full Version : Siamese/Thai Bayonets

albacore
03-14-2011, 01:51 AM
I'd like to share some of my Thai/Siamese bayonets here. I'll start off by posting Japanese Type-30 bayonets that have been refurbished or modified by Thailand. I will eventually get to the rest of them, and I will post those here as well.

I believe these first two are Thai modifications of Type-30 bayonets. Although johnson and LaBar labeled them as being Indonesian reworks, the grip replacements lead me to believe that they are Thai. The Nagoya Triangle still has the screws in the grips. The grips are quite dirty, but I believe they are replacements made from the same wood found on almost all Thai bayonets. The Toyada bayonet has had the grip fasteners replaced in addition to the wood. They've had thick crossguards added with 16mm muzzle rings. Jerry Price also came to the conclusion that these were Thai modifications, and reports that this modification fits perfectly on a Type-66 rifle.

albacore
03-14-2011, 02:33 AM
These next bayonets are Japanese Type-30 bayonets that have been modified by Thailand, and reclassified as Type-83 bayonets. They were for use with the Type-83 rifles, which were Type-38 rifles supplied to Thailand by Japan. These bayonets have replaced grips, very dark bluing, and Thai numerals on the pommel ends. From my observations, about 75% of Type-83 bayonets are from the Nagoya Triangle arsenal. The arsenal must have filled the majority of the contract with Thailand. The few remaining Type-83 bayonets that I've observed have all been the same variation of Kokura bayonet with flat bird's head pommels except for one Kaneshiro. I had been collecting data on these for three or four years, but unfortunately lost about a year's worth of data when my hard drive crashed a few months ago. I got this Thai Kaneshiro from Ray LaBar, and it's quite unique and one of my favorite bayonets. For whatever reason, standard bright Kaneshiro blades in good condition are quite elusive, so in a way this filled two holes in my bayonet collection.

albacore
03-14-2011, 03:03 AM
Here's one of the better known Siamese bayonets; the Siamese Type-62. These were ordered to go with the SMLE III* rifles that were used by the Wild Tiger Corps, a paramilitary corps formed by King Rama VI. It's a standard British 1907 bayonet that's had the original markings scrubbed and a tiger's head added with a serial number ๑๒๐๒ (1202) added in Thai numerals. Once in a while these bayonets may still show some of the original British proof marks on the blade. The leather of the scabbard has been replaced by steel that's been brazed into place. Leather scabbards, marked with the same tiger logo that's on the blade, are scarce but show up once in a while.

Stede
03-14-2011, 09:42 AM
Very informational, and very nice! Thanks, and keep 'em coming Albacore. Great to learn details on unusual pieces like this...

thedoowopkid
03-15-2011, 01:48 AM
Very cool collection. One tiger head on Ebay a few weeks ago. Interesting history.

Mike Rockhill
03-15-2011, 04:39 PM
Very cool collection, keep up the good work!

skim970
03-15-2011, 07:48 PM
Nice bayos and great information! :thumbsup:

mrbentwrench
03-15-2011, 08:07 PM
Nice stuff Albacore, I'm envious. Most of the Thai bays I've seen are not in nearly as good a condition as yours, and a scabbard unheard of.
Nice collection and thanks for the info. Very informative.

albacore
03-17-2011, 09:07 PM
I learned the proper designations for these and a lot of information from Frank Allen. I've also been observing them and recording serial numbers for the last few years.

Now it's time for some early bayonets. Here are two Romanian Model 1879 bayonets used by Siam. I know Frank Allan posted these when there was uncertainty over which rifle these bayonets went to. Janzen's book lists them as Model 1879 Romanians, but the rifle they fit was called the "Han-Ree" rifle in Thailand. I believe this is due to the action style being similar to that of a Henry rifle, and the Thai's liked the name, as it translates roughly to "Looks around with no confidence". A fitting name for a police force. I believe these bayonets were used before Thailand started designating their bayonets by the year of the Buddhist calendar.

I've seen these bayonets with Thai numbers on the blade and on the crossguard. I have numbers 44 (๔๔) and 66 (๖๖). One of these examples received new grips.

albacore
03-17-2011, 11:44 PM
Here's another early Siamese bayonet, an Austrian Model 1888; designated the Siamese Type-33. The locking button appears to have been modified. Most of these I've seen have Thai numbers on the pommel, but this one has numbers in both grips and on the crossguard. There are no numbers on the pommel. It also has the logo that came before Siam adopted the chakra, which depicts a Hindu creature that's half lion and half elephant. Both of the Peabody-Martini bayonets I posted also appear to have this logo, but it wasn't stamped too well on either of them. The NCO version of these bayonets can also be found with Thai numbers on the pommel end.

kablam
03-18-2011, 02:00 PM
Nice pics. I just lost a bid on a box lot with a few thai bayonets. I wish I had taken a few pictures. I would have atleast liked to have know what I missed.

Don Schlickman
03-18-2011, 10:59 PM
Hi Albacore.
Here are the bayonets that I posted on the Japanese board that you requested I post here. I will post each separately so The pictures don't get mixed up.
There are two T-46 bayonets one with an original frog. I did not want to install it because it was so good I didn't want to damage it. Have you seen the booklet that Jerry Price published in 2004 on the" Japanese manufactured bayonets used by the Siamese/Thai Military"? If not I will send you his email address if you are interested. My email address is [email protected] Don

Don Schlickman
03-18-2011, 11:01 PM
The next bayonet is the T-47 carbine bayonet.

Don Schlickman
03-18-2011, 11:04 PM
The next is a T-66 bayonet.

Don Schlickman
03-18-2011, 11:06 PM
This one is a Siamese rework that fits the T-66 rifle.

Don Schlickman
03-18-2011, 11:17 PM
This one is for the T-83 Siamese rifle. Between 10,000 and 15,000 T-38 rifles were sold to the Thailand/Siamese govt. including accessories. For some reason the last 3 pictures did not load. I will post one more time.

Don Schlickman
03-18-2011, 11:21 PM
There are the pictures of the last two T-83 bayonet and the rifles my bayonets are mounted on. I had an error on one of the bayonet photos. so this is it.

albacore
03-25-2011, 10:27 PM
Don, thank you for posting these here. I will finish up with the Type-46 and Type-47 bayonets soon.

Groupie
04-17-2011, 08:44 PM
Commonly referred to as the "Pussy Cat" bayonet. Wonder if Ian Flemming named it? I know the Thias used Enfields, I know at least some No4 Mk1s came in ca '69 but I've Never seen one, anyone elas ??

FIVESHOT
04-18-2011, 03:12 AM
Really great post .

:)

fiveshot

albacore
04-30-2011, 04:03 PM
Commonly referred to as the "Pussy Cat" bayonet. Wonder if Ian Flemming named it? I know the Thias used Enfields, I know at least some No4 Mk1s came in ca '69 but I've Never seen one, anyone elas ??

Yes, Thailand did use No. 4 Mk. 1 Enfields. FIVESHOT has an extremely nice example. They also had some 03 Springfields.

albacore
04-30-2011, 04:09 PM
I've been very busy for the last 30 days moving, but I will eventually finish up this thread with the Type-46 and Type-47 examples. Here's an extremely rare one that my girlfriend just found for me. It's a Type-46 dress bayonet, and the inscription reads:

รัก = love
ชาติ = nation, land >> in this case, it probably means Thailand
ยิ่ง ชีพ = with life

I've only seen one other example, and it's owned by a collector in Thailand. The serial number on this one is 165, and the other one I saw was 70, so there can't be too many of these around.

amsfelder
05-01-2011, 02:31 AM
Wow! What a girlfriend!

Francis C. Allan
07-20-2012, 01:36 PM
Dear Albacore:

Great grouping and it is nice to see them properly identified.

Dear Don S;

The original information on the Type 83s (Japanese Type 38s) did indeed estimate between 10,000 & 15,000. This info came from Thai sources. Later we found a document in the Japanese National Archives which indicated the order was increased to 25,000 and that indeed that number were shipped.

Frank

old-smithy
05-05-2013, 07:56 AM
Hi Albacore.
Here are the bayonets that I posted on the Japanese board that you requested I post here. I will post each separately so The pictures don't get mixed up.
There are two T-46 bayonets one with an original frog. I did not want to install it because it was so good I didn't want to damage it. Have you seen the booklet that Jerry Price published in 2004 on the" Japanese manufactured bayonets used by the Siamese/Thai Military"? If not I will send you his email address if you are interested. My email address is [email protected] Don

I just aquired almost a full colelction of Siamese bayonets including Sockets and am interested in the booklet, anyone have a copy?

Lido
05-22-2013, 04:22 PM
- I suspect having only the bayonet bar of a Mauser bolt-action rifle used by Thailand (Siam), probably made in Japan (8 mm Mod.1902 - Type 45 or 8 mm Mod.1923 short rifle). The bayonet bar has an unusual shape and it is marked with "#", another unknown mark and the number "800". If somebody has the rifle(s) mentioned above, please post a close photo showing the bayonet bar. Many thanks in advance for any help, Lido 05/22/13 P.S. Unfortunately I cannot post any photos with my computer.

old-smithy
09-04-2013, 08:39 AM
I've recently added a large number of Thai bayonets to my site, including an unknown brass hilted yataghan and 9 sockets. The interesting thing with the sockets is that they are all reportedly used during the American Civil war, so I suspect they may have been sold on to Thailand during their wars against France in the 1880's, if so they had a busy life