Gunboards Forums banner

Mle M 16 with unusual stock...

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  vonmazur 
#1 ·
Guys: I have encountered a Mle 16 Musketon that has a very wierd stock.....I suspect that a Mle 90 was used for the stock, which, as we can see, was modified into a Mle M 16 configuration. The middle band spring slot has been filled and recut, and the butt swivel removed and filled, the sling slot cut, with the end of the stock plugged.....It could not be a Mle 1902 stock, as the rear sight relief cuts are un-altered, the Mle 1902 is longer, so it would have to be filled in and re-cut....What do you experts think???

Dale

#2 ·
Dale,
It definitely looks like this stock, in its first incarnation was a stock for a 1890 carbine.
However the modification of the 15 aout 1915 "toutes les carabines modele 1890 subiront une modification destinee a permettre de fixer a ces armes le sabre baionetteMle 1892" did not adress the repositioning of the middle barrel band "grenadiere" and all the officially modified cuirassier and cavalerie carbines kept their middle band in their original position.
The sling swivel hole looks to be in the same position of the hole in cavalry carbine, on the 1890 gendarmerie, 1892 and 1916 the sling swivel is much lower.
IT is interesting that it was fitted to a Mle 16.
Does the stock has trace or evidence of the channel for the rod?
Best regards

#3 ·
The Clearing rod channel

Channel is present, but nicely filled with walnut. Since this gun was a Century Import from the 1980's, I cannot prove it was made this way, just that this is how it showed up from Morocco or where ever they got them.

I suspect as usual, that when they were making all the guns uniform in the 20's, that was when this one was cut back and made like all the other Mle M 16's. I imagine that making a special hand guard for this one was too much trouble...

IT was cheap and in fairly good shape. Ets Continsuza Mle M 16 AD-XXXX serial 07/18 date. But the stock is G-2XXXX and not renumbered....For a cheapo gun it was worth it...

Dale

#4 ·
Hello

Here some pics
- of a Mle 1890 carbine (manufactured in 1891 and all matching) and a stock for a 1892 carbine - to compare the different features.

- the rear sling swivel was removed and the place filled with a piece of wood, a sling bar was placed on the left side of the stock.

Moblotaire

#5 ·
Mle 90 stocks

Nicholas: I think it is a Mle 90 stock that has been extensively modified, judging by your photos...Thanks for the pix. In the US we rarely see this carbine, I know of 5 so far that members have mentioned...

Dale

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.