Gunboards Forums banner

Sarco 'C' Stock pictures

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  samamara 
#1 ·
Figured i would share some pictures of my 03 with the Sarco 'C' stock installed. This rifle came to me as a sporter, D/T for a Lyman 57 peep. I struggled to figure out what to do with it and ended with this configuration. The base rifle & barrel is a Remington 03, dated 6-43. A lot of the stock metal is repro stuff from Numrich (bought everything as repro, but half came as original Remington). The buttplate is a milled, heavy checkered NM type, i got off a memeber here a while back. I was suprised at the fit and finish with all the repro stuff, i was expecting to have to do some fitting...as it was everything went into place just about perfect. I did put a steel sleeve in the stock for the rear action screw.

I am not completely done yet. i still have to blend to match, the best i can, the stock and handguard and figure out a front globe set up for the front sight. I'm not really interested in finding (and especially paying for) a Lyman 17A XNA...so, i think i am going to take some A3 front sight bases and turn them into 03 style bases with the dovetail cut for the current production Lyman 17A series globe sights, and retro fit the band to my 03 barrel.

Anyway, the work is mostly done, so if you care to comment, i would like to hear it. enjoy the pictures.

DW

See less See more
#3 ·
Buttplate has no trap so it is for a M2 training rifle in .22. The real NM 03 buttplates have traps. You see the M2 buttplates advertised as NM all the time because other then the trap they are the same. Is that Sarco stock a real one or a repop? It look pretty good the whole rig looks nice.

#4 · (Edited)
"Buttplate has no trap so it is for a M2 training rifle in .22."

I have no doubt that you are correct in this. I wasn't really concerned about it, i just like the style and got a good deal on it.

The Sarco stock is a Reproduction, a pretty good one by all accounts, and from my personal experience with it.

Once i get everything done, mainly the front sight...i have a friend who is going to repark it for me. the finish on the receiver is quite worn. mechanically it's in great shape though. The muzzle gaged at a little over 2, but the rifling is very sharp, and shot very well in its sporter configuration, so i have high hopes for accuracy when i finally get out and shoot it in its new form.

at one point during this process, i was thinking of having it rebarreled, so i picked up a NIW RA A3 (7-44?) barrel, but its 2 groove, not that it's bad, but the barrel thats on it now is 4 grove and has plenty of life left in it, so i'll keep it on and sometime later on down the road part with the A3 barrel.

DW

#5 ·
Lyman made two target front sights for the Springfield. One is the XNA and the other was the XNB. If I remember right the one I had was a direct replacement for the issue front sight. Shaped like a figure 8, and you saved that key with the slot in it. Usually the lyman had the lower part of the figure 8 on the barrel with the key. Lined up the slot in the key and set the pin in the hole on the lower section and drove it in with a pin punch.. Had an A3 set up similar to what you are looking to do. Except for a Lyman 48 long slide at the rear and the XNB up front. Using a reduced load of IMR 4895 and a 125 grain Sierra spitzer that rifle would keep them in the 10 ring. Wish I could do that today. My current A3 is a rescue. Bubba tried to draw file the barrel to remove all the machining marks and a few other rather dumb moves on his part. NOS 43 Remington barrel,Redfield ramped front sight and a steel Lyman 57 rear. Then I did all the polishing work and the smith blued it. Was able to salvage the fajen sporter stock. Frank

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.