Gunboards Forums banner

WW2 stuff

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  mike radford 
#1 ·
My grandmother has given me things over the years that were brought back from the army after my grandfather’s discharge 12/45. Unless something else is found in the attic, this should be it. I figured some of the ww2 buffs might like the pics. Everything pictured was his, not sure if any of it was issued; certainly not much was "given" to him by the army. He really had a heavy duffel bag! He enlisted as a private in 1941 and rose to captain by his discharge. He worked in the New York port of embarkation under General Homer Groninger, a close friend and neighbor, who no doubt helped him rise through the ranks. He brought 2 carbines home, one was given to a neighbor and I have been promised it's return upon his death. His neighbor was a Navy pilot during the war and always wanted a carbine.

I audio taped his service shortly before his passing, so I didn't know what questions to ask, I just listened. He never told me how he brought the firearms back, just his service. He oversaw the requests for supplies from the ETO and Africa, from beer (interesting story) to large equipment. He also oversaw the minute details (as in the president was to be picked up at 12:00, not 12:01 or 11:59 and so on) as the then president would travel along the east coast to increase moral amongst the public toward the war effort. Really neat stuff.

Anyway here are the pics. If you have any question or want close up pics of anything, let me know.

Enjoy
Steve

See less See more
#2 ·
Another few pics. Don't have any idea where this belt came from. It was with all his stuff and looks like something a soldier might wear, possibly as an officer?? Any help with this would be helpful. It is not stamped other than the one picture, everything else I have of his is labelled with a manufacturer and date.

Steve

#7 ·
Thanks for the replies, and thanks Jeff for your help on the belt ID. I am somewhat the family historian (no one else wants the job) and I really love history. I have 2 girls and a boy, so some day they will receive all my "treasures", I would never sell any of this stuff. All I can say is find out all you can from those who are getting up there in age, especially vets of any war.

Steve

#9 ·
The Legacy

The carbine appears to be a very early model with the high wood stock and flip sight. I see correct early ones sell easily for 1200- 15oo dollars. Post some pics of the .45 They are super valuable in about ANY condition.

You were very fortunate to receive this treasure, now you must catalog, research and preserve it. Regards

#10 · (Edited)
Carbine has low wood. If not refurbed (appears to be original), barrel and build date would be late 43-ish. Need to know maker and have a lot more photos to tell if visible external parts correct. Depending on the make of the 1911A1, it could be worth a boatload as well.

#11 · (Edited)
Here are the pics of the 1941 colt. It has the original finish, large and small parts. Slide is S/N'd to frame under the firing pin stop. Small G barrel with perfect bore.

Carbine is IBM with all IBM internals except possibly the trigger. Flip sight is wedge peened into the slot (original). When I tore it down 4 years ago, I tried to find all stamps. I need to tear it apart again to see what the trigger is stamped with. I can post pics of the carbine if wanted.

Steve

#17 ·
Great stuff. The Colt 1911A1 is very nice. RS inspected only about 27000 parkerized Colts and about 13000 blued. It is pretty hard to find. Grips appear correct and look to be hollow backed(no reinforcements on back). Slide should be numbered to the gun. Very nice pistol. Thanks for sharing all the neat stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.