Gunboards Forums banner

Somehow I became a Carcano collector...

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Hambone 
#1 ·
So I went to the gunshow today with the GF, not expecting much; it being Sunday- all the good stuff was probably snagged yesterday... *Sigh* I hate working Saturdays...

Sure enough, I saw run-of-the-mill Mosins for $175, ho-hum mausers, and only a few other over-priced mil-surps. This came to me as a relief- considering I didn't have much to spend. But I figured I might settle on one that I had my eye on (I don't even remember what it was). But before I threw in the towel- I went into the last building where it was taking place- and one dealers table was the gunshows saving grace. Interesting guns at last! Romanian M44, Lee-Enfields, and a plethora of other mouth-watering mil-surps- ALL OVER PRICED! AUGH!

But as I was nearing the end of his table- I spotted something very elegant- YES! It was the look of an M91 Carcano (I actually got my first one a month or so before the show- but that doesn't mean I can't have 2 right!?). It looks in decent shape. Well used- but normal for a 1917 Terni. I look at the price- $175! Meh. Not really worth it... But THEN I notice a M38 carcano a few rifles down! It's in beautiful shape! And it's a Terni 7.35 [SA] to boot (something I've wanted for a long time). Price? 240! *Sigh* I can only afford one. But I figured I could at least talk him down a bit. The guy see's me eyeballing the M91 and right to the point he says "I'll let ya have it for $150". "hey" -I think to myself "now we're getting somewere." I say "hmm- not bad" and I move over to the M38- before I can even ask- he says "I'll let you have it for $200." Considering It's a really nice one- I'm highly tempted by it. By now the girlfriend obviously see's the dilemma I'm facing and knows how much I want both and states- "just get both." Yay! With the GF's approval- I'm about to say I'll take them- but before I could do so- he says I'll knock off another $10 from the M91. Yipeee! I said right then and there he's got a deal.

Yeah I Know, not the greatest deals- $200 for an M38 and $140 for an M91. And even though my bank account will suffer for a few weeks- It was totally worth it.

SO With the addition of these two beauties- I now have a M91 T.S., 1894 M91, 1917 M91, and 1939 M38.

What can I say- I love Carcano's. I guess you really can't have one.

Now the pics...

1917 M91 PICS

-Palimino

See less See more
#5 ·
Pal:

Welcome to the club! There aren't many of us that love the Carcano, but that's OK. It leaves more for those of us that do. Nice rifle and carbines at fair prices. Congrats!

PS: You need a turned down carbine bolt for your M1938.

#9 ·
Haha! yeah she is quite amazing. Took her shooting a few weeks ago (she's never been before)- and enjoy's it too! :D She won't shoot my M44 (yet ;)) but she likes the .22.

No sisters though- so this one is all mine :cool:

I hope to actually take a Carcano with me next time I go shooting :eek: I can't wait to see exatcly why I like 'em!

-Palimino

#10 ·
I did about the same thing. I saw a thread on carcanos and kind of laughed and thought to myself I didn't have as many as that. I went and counted and I had 9 with 8 different models. I just picked them up because they were always cheap. I doubt I paid more than 120 for any model. I'll try and get a picture up of the whole collection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.