Gunboards Forums banner

M1 Carbine on auction in Sweden

5K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  whitehouse_2008 
#1 · (Edited)
What do you think about this one.

American, semiauto, General Motors, modell M1, kal. .30 Carbin, No. 5261995, barrell lenght 45 cm, bayonet mount on the barrel, dioptersight, wood stock with pistol grip and steel buttplate, buttstock dressed with leather and mag pouch, sling swivels, reciver stamped with "INLAND DIV", bayonet (US M8A1), two books about M1 and 4 extra mags (three 20round och one 30round), tools and extra barrel band, minor marks on the stock and blueing. Good/Very good condition

Estimated price: 3000-5000SEK ( $340-560US )

http://widforss.chiaro.mrfriday.com/?p=vapenauktion&auktion=&auktion=48&visa=Gev%E4r

Auction 377 at the top of the page.

See less See more
#2 ·
Judging by the rear sight and bayonet lug, it's a post World War II rebuild. There's nothing wrong with that as pretty much all of them went through a rebuild after the war.

The magazine pouches were made to go on a belt and were probably made in the very early 1950s. Interestingly they also will hold clips of M1 Garand ammo.

I would suggest the 20 round magazines you mention are more likely 15 round magazines. The original GI magazines are 15 rounds. I would suspect the 30 round magainze is not USGI. If it is, it would be worth $50 to $100 in the States.

I think if you can stay within the lot estimate you'll be just fine. In the US I can get a "rack grade" M1 Carbine from the same manufacturer (Inland) for $419 plus shipping. Figure about $40 for the bayonet, $5 each for the mag pouches and $10 each for the 15 round magazines and you'll see things add up fast.

I hope this helps,

Charlie

#3 ·
late war sight so its a late WW2 sight bayo lug was first fitted in 1944 so it could be orgianl stock hard to say i seen the 4 rivet so its a post war maybe trigger group i cant tell if it has rotary safety or push and cant even see if the mag release is first or second model try to get better ics out of the guy whats it make say if its got a flate or round bolt

#6 ·
for a carbine thats a steel i would go for it its a nice gun and if it comes with all them extras thats a deal

#9 · (Edited)
It went for about $1200....in Sweden that's a rather silly price to pay in my opinion. Especially for a post WW2 re-build.

A dealer buddy of mine in Sweden has brought in a batch (15+) 100% original unalterd ex-OSS drop weapons to the Danish resistance during WW2. Dropped by parachute in 1944 and then never used, stored until my buddy bought them.

All made in may 1944 and in stone mint condition.

I paid $600 for mine (incl. oiler, mag and proper "C-sling") and so did all of my buddies that got the rest of the carbines.

//Anders

Ps. I also bought a Winchester from the same dealer....also ex-Danish resistance but an earlier 1943 Winchester.....100% as it left the factory....L sight, high wood etc. etc....now sold however....paid $700 for that one......guess it would cost a BIT more in the US :)

Btw, the M1 Garand is a an ex-Danish issue gun from the same dealer.....refurbished in Denmark in the 70's...stored for X years and then it ended up in my gunsafe.....would rate it as new.....traded it for a 1939 P08 that I hade $200 in :)

#10 ·
A Beautiful Collection Anders!

I enjoyed your pictures of your M1s. I am fascinated by the Carbines. I spent $701 and some tax on this one below:

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr145/whitehouse_2008/015.jpg

It is a current repro by Kahr from Auto Ord Worcester.

If I had seen yours for sale I would have lept at the opportunity to get it.
How do your Carbines shoot and what brand ammo do you use?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.