Gunboards Forums banner

Question on parts...

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  BARQS19 
#1 ·
I'm still in Iraq and have come across several 98ks of various makes/years.

Most are rebuilds from one country or another but there may or may not be rare or hard to get parts on them. I've already snagged the front sites and cleaning rods but is there any specific "rare/hard to get part" I should be looking for?

So far I've seen Persian long/short rifles, many different Nazi 98ks (Ce41, dou.45, BNZ 43 etc) a TGP1950 and a few Czech Vz24s.

#2 ·
If it's legal to do so, then I would snag/bring back EVERY K98 small part found,
period!
Handguards, trigger guards, floorplates, followers, upper and lower bands (any style, early, mid or late-stamped, milled or welded).
If you can't bring bolts, then snag bolt shrouds, safety levers, cocking pieces, extractors and firing pins.
How about the stocks themselves?
Bring it ALL man, as much as you can without putting yourself behind the 8-ball.
Every single piece, as long as the condition is not rusted junk, is valuable and can be traded or sold with little delay.
Send me an e-mail if you want help evaluating stuff when you get home...
Stay safe, and thank you for your sevice!

#3 ·
Well I'll be limited on space..so I wasa hoping there might be some specific things to look for. I think I saw an swp trigger guard.

I don't think the stocks are doable as they are intact but the years in the desert heat have not been kind. Almost all have the recoil lugs setback and most are splitting behind the tang due to the stocks being bone dry....

#4 ·
Jeremy,
If you can bring back bolts, they seem to bring a premium. Chasdev has forgotten more about K98's than I know but I'm learning. Get it all. Take care and come home.
With the utmost respect I thank you for your service.

#6 ·
Probably post war exporter marks?
Many nice bits in that ce waiting to help restore parts rifles over here....

#8 ·
#11 ·
You have to be VERY specific about your needs or they will send the wrong or substandard stuff.
Ask the customer service rep to have the guys in the back check for the proofs you want and that the serial numbers have not been ground off and that it has not been electro penciled.
You can also select good blue and no rust, etc...
They may resist going the extra mile but if you persist, you may be able to get a sweet bolt.

#12 ·
First, thanks for serving.

Second, extractors and firing pins are the parts that most often break or wear out from use, so there is always a demand for those.

Third, Russian Captures are always missing their capture screws, and they're TINY, so if space is your main concern, those may be a good choice.

Fourth, I could really use a spare bolt and operating rod for my MP44, so if you happen to run across any of those...

Jay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.