Gunboards Forums banner

Norwegian Krag stock reproduction from Norway

69K views 109 replies 26 participants last post by  marielorge10 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Will a Repro U.S krag rilfe stock fit on a Norwegian Krag rifle :confused:

#3 ·
search for Norwegian Krag stocks.......

Long rifle stocks can be procured from time to time in Norway. carbine stocks are almost impossible to find, and reproductions cost $500.oo and you need an original to make a copy from.
richardmicrofitstocs lists a norwegian Krag as one of the stocks they will produce a stock for. They don't specify wether it is a carbine or long rifle that they inlet for.
http://www.rifle-stocks.com
they charge $49.00 to set up. If a group buy was organized perhaps they could cut a deal, but the LR stock sized blanks are impossible to find.
gil

#6 ·
As little as we can get away with! LOL

I just discovered a hairline crack in the pistol grip of my M/1912 carbine. I don't know if it goes all the way through the grain or not but I'm thinking it might be best to relegate it to the job of "looker" instead of "shooter." Why take chances?

#8 ·
Hi.

Making repro stocks and accesories will probebly not make me rich, as will take a lot of work. But as hobby, well 300 for a stock would probebly be fair.
To make the bands and recoil cap etc, I will need more just to cover the tool (Cutting tools in the mill). There is a lot of machining on the carabine M1912 front band.
I do have parts to look at, so I need just to find the time to make the repro stock and parts. Any decent place to buy correct walnut raw materiel in US? I believe it will be cheaper to get Walnut from US, then buy here in Norway. Very expencieve.

Attached picture of some of the stuff I can use as model for repro.

#10 ·
Hello Mussonor,
I will take a carbine stock. No handguard or metal needed. Also, as I am sure you know the triggerguard and rear sling swivel are different on the carbine so you can't copy the long rifle stock for these areas.

Please let me know the price and how long it will take.
And after I get it and find your craftsmanship to be good, I will take another right away.

Thank you, John

#11 · (Edited)
Hi.

I will have the price for a carabine stock ready when I have the raw material price worked out. But somewere between 3-400 depending on what hardware put on (Probebly until first made and I recognize how much work there is:eek::eek:). But, I calculate that this work will not give me any hi profit. I know that there is a lot of norwegian krags out there with lack of stock etc. So, why not help out and give the krags back their pride from their era, as I find it the best engineering design ever (Taken the time and era it was constructed/That judgement may also come from that I am Norwegian :rolleyes:;);).)

Looked up Calico as menition of a forum member. Seems like they got some blanks for $35. Problem is the lenght, as the kragstock is long. Perhaps there is wood enough in one Calico Blank to have wod for a spline for the front end. Time to time I buy stuff from US, and use a carrier that either ship by air or sea. 4-5 blanks shipped by SEA for that freight company will be round $100. Overall, looks like one blank will be $60-70 delivered to me included the norweigian VAT. Must not forget that on top of that the freight of 4-5 blanks from were Calico are located, to Linden NJ were my carrier have their port.

Will look for others in finding decent walnut to decent price, and then I'll be back.

Mussonor

#12 ·
Looked round for wood that have the lenght, but not any succes yet. So, probebly a extension with a splize just where rear band is are the way to go.
A local supplier of blanks will import full stock blanks, but i susspect the price will be out of the limits.
So, probebly try to get som blanks from Calico. Not sure on how to pay them as I beleive they do not take credit card, only the US "check" way? Sure not PayPal?

Will try more for getting blanks with correct lenght, but it do not look so good.

Drawaing ready for the milling paths for the receiver , so blanks just needed. (Sketch attached for m94)

Mussonor

#13 ·
1912 stock measurments 42 3/8"s (114cm's roughly)

I asked member Ike to measure his recent 1912 carbine purchase. There are probably a dozen of us in the USA looking for a stock/handguard for our carbines. hard economic times right now might be a bigger problem as well as US customs import issues. apparantly somewhere along the way there have been some military stocks returned to shipper. I don't mean to your worthy project. There were 3 Krag internet sites on the web, but may be only two of them now.
gil

"Gil

Heel to fore end tip: 42 3/8 "
Handguard Edge to edge 22 1/8"

#17 ·
update on raw material:

I've found a supplier in US, mailed with him this weekens. He will cut me blank with the correct lenght. A bit more expensieve then estimated ($90+shipment+tax), but still be in the range 300+ for a stock I believe. To keep as low cost as posible, the shipping time from US to Norway for the Walnut blanks is 4-5 weeks (Go with boat).
Will be back with more details when the blanks is on its way (Ordered 4 blanks)

Mussonor

#18 · (Edited)
handguards are also needed.

Most of the people in the market for 1912 carbine stocks are also in need of handguards.
This forum in the past has organized "group buys" and indeed it might be quite a bit cheaper to send the stocks in such a group buy to one person in the USA rather than to each individual. \
|Here is the html to the kragcollectors associaion websight where you might try posting for more intererst. I only look at there site a couple times a year.
website
www.kragcollectorsassociation.org/

forum
http://www.schlafe.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=news
gil

#19 ·
It might be a good idea to find someone to handle this who has an import license. I believe one is needed for items over $100. If we needed one it may be easier for one person, rather than each one of us individualy. Am not sure that it would be needed, but it maybe should be checked into.

#20 · (Edited)
Update:

Just got confirmation that the blanks are sent today to my mailbox in NJ.
I will then have the blanks here the first week of May. Will start to cut almoust imidiate after that.

The net price for me when blanks finally here will be $140/each. (Norwegian vat is 25%:eek:, far more then you guys have) 140 include the v.a.t and shipment for NJ to Norway.

Shipment of 1 stock to US at current exchangerate is $60. Each extra kilogram cost $11, so if I sent 4 stocks, there is approx $175 to save.

But, first I have to cut the stock.

(Update March 26th: Bill from carrier arrived. Final cost for one blank ends in $137.)

Mussonor

#21 ·
Drawing of M23 skarpskytterrifle, front band

I knew I had a drawing some were of the front band/bayonet lug/sight hood/protection made for the sharpshooter M23 krag. Picture of drawing attached.

The drawing I got is traced in 1974. I can use the measures from the drawing as guide when making m1912 front bands.

For the upcomming wood work making the 4 krag stocks, I have sharpened all my woodwork chisels, and are ready to cut. Last update from carrier is that the walnut blanks will be here round May 7 or 8th.

Mussonor

#22 · (Edited)
Repro carabine stock m1912 project.

Update:

Yesterday the blanks for the repro project came as estimated from the shipping company. They are oversized, so a lot of wood to carve.
I will start to rough them to day, trim the blanks with a saw so there is less to grind/carve.

The stock put in front of one of the blanks is for a comming "Stomperud" krag project for a board forum member.

If/when I find time, I will put up some pictures of the progress with the stocks. Some weeks more progress then others, as this is done on my spare time as hobby work. But in the end I will be finnished, and hopefully come out with 4 nice stocks.

Mussonor.

#23 ·
The muzzle band!!

Progress is made on the project of making carabine stocks.
As model I got two stocks, one modified (In 1961) with a M23 grip, the other original but cut just in front of the rear band. Also I got a M1912 nose band.
To night I just were to put on the nose band to the full stock I've got, but it do not fit. Then I looked up in the Hanevik book, and as I knew there were some mods on this.
So, the question is, for what type on front band should I make the stocks. I presume there is different styles out there. Seems like there is two diff dimentions for the wood. From 1918 they started to use the reinforced nose band, and the style on the stock I've got match that one.

In principle, if you got a rifle from before 1918, the style should be as the 1912 noseband I got. If later, the style should be as the front of the stock I've got.
Also, from serial 16679 they started to use a new type of handguard, splited in two. The long one from 1912 were more expensieve to produce and had "strain/stress" so it cracked more easy then the mod from 1918. So, logic to split it.

Mussonor.

#24 ·
Different front end, nose band

Attaced picture of the 1912 noseband "on" a reinforced style stock front end. If making front ends to extend sporterized stocks or complete stocks, this detail have to be sorted out in order to get an historical correct style or to fit the nose band each and one have got in their possession.

#25 ·
Norwegian M1912 Stock w/hardware

I have a barreled action, Norwegian M1912, that needs either a military or a sporter stock. The action and barrel are in great shape and have matching numbers. I would prefer to go military but if sporter stock is all I can find so-ge-it. This rifle is begging to be shot.

Any help out there??? Thanks, Jack

#26 ·
Hi.

Finding an original complete m1912 carabine stock is very hard. Sporterized m1894 come up now and then, also full lenght m94, but more rare.
I am making 4 repro stocks M1912 at the moment. 3 are booked (Prob one who ordered takes two?) In addition you need the bands and handguard.
Also got sporterized m94, cut down in lenght and made more grip, but putting a m1912 receiver into it need some wood work (Dia adjustmend in the wood for the front, as carabine do not have the ring for handguard in front of receiver.)

mussonor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.