Gunboards Forums banner

Your thoughts on 4064 powder for a .308

24K views 33 replies 21 participants last post by  frodo 
#1 ·
Your thoughts on 4064 powder for a .308.I bought some buy mistake.I have 168 grain
bullets coming I was going to use.I printed a chart off of Hodgens & they list 4064 at
41.5 grains for a 168 grain se hpst bullet.

but they also list 4320 at41.5 grains?

#2 ·
Fly

Many shooters consider 4064 to be one of the best powders for accuracy loads in the 308. So, you won't be handicapped by using it.

H4895 SC and Reloader 15 may be better but only because the smaller grains will meter easier.

Loading manuals will often have data that seems to be inconsistent which is why you have to work up your own.

JMHO

Ray

#3 ·
4064 has been my go to powder for all the Military size cases for a long time. I could not get any a while back and had to use Varget, which is very close as far a burn rate and seems to meter better in my measure. I can't wait to get more 4064, though.

#5 ·
Books....plain old "low tech" BOOKS. I have several bookcases filled with reloading manuals, texts etc... Started reloading at 12years old back in 1961 and every question, every problem I had was solved by going back to one of those books. After mulling over all those opinions, all that data....I too adopted IMR 4064 as my go to powder for Military rifle reloads. Works good in my .308 Reloads!

Before MapQuest, NAV etc., we even had these paper things called "MAPS"!

#8 · (Edited)
Your thoughts on 4064 powder for a .308.I bought some buy mistake.I have 168 grain
bullets coming I was going to use.I printed a chart off of Hodgens & they list 4064 at
41.5 grains for a 168 grain se hpst bullet.

but they also list 4320 at41.5 grains?
Fly. Don't mean to sound like a butt head but, how did you buy that powder by mistake?
Did you buy IMR 4064 or A-XMR-4064? There is a difference.
I went to the Hodgdon site and found that for start charges, IMR 4064 and IMR 4320 are the same. But they begin to vary when moving up to max loads. Go back and read all of the data carefully.
Manufactures make different powders and sometimes have the same nomenclature. You have to make sure you know the difference between them as they do vary. Like H4895 and IMR4895. They are very similar, but may not be able to be used the same, for every application. And some manuals may not point out that difference. My Lee only gives data for the 168gr. jacketed bullet for A-XMR-4064, but with no particular type of bullet design.
Check this link:
http://www.exteriorballistics.com/reloadbasics/burnrates.cfm

#15 ·
Fly. Don't mean to sound like a butt head but, how did you buy that powder by mistake?
Did you buy IMR 4064 or A-XMR-4064? There is a difference.
I went to the Hodgdon site and found that for start charges, IMR 4064 and IMR 4320 are the same. But they begin to vary when moving up to max loads. Go back and read all of the data carefully.
Manufactures make different powders and sometimes have the same nomenclature. You have to make sure you know the difference between them as they do vary....
Good advice arat :thumbsup:

#9 ·
When I started loading .308 over a decade ago, the 2 powders I selected from options were 4064 and Win. 748.

I found accuracy to be equal (and excelent), metering with 748 to be FAR easier and more accurate, so left 4064 go away.

#10 ·
With the price of Vihtavuori N140/50/60 hitting almost $140 a can here in yUK, I went over to IMR4064 a year or so back for my 7x57 Mauser, 7.5x55 Swiss and .308Win [two loads for two very different guns]. Wish I'd done it years ago and saved a load of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

tac

#11 ·
Well I went in to buy Vaget & they had none.Maybe I have been reading to much as of late,but I remember reading on another site
that a guy recommended using IMR 4060 in his Enfileld .303.& I have a Enfield .308 nato.That why I picked it up.I also got a Nosler
reloading book there.There chart did not show 4060 being loaded in a .308.

As you can see this can become some what confusing for a newbie as me.But thank God I have you guy's to keep me on the path.

#14 ·
My 2 selections long ago were chosen due to what appeared, from the loading data, to be the most versatile. Good velocity in the full spectrum of usable bullet weights, also accuracy notes from the manual maker (was a Lyman at the time). Some powders I rejected were "directed" more than I desired, either better velocity at lighter bullets but loss at the heavier end, or vice versa. I have always tried to "Keep It Stimple Stupid", the K.I.S.S. method of problem management. :)
It has GENERALLY (but not always) worked out fairly well for me.

Best of luck to ya.

#16 · (Edited)
I use IMR 4064 from my lightest 30-30 loads to my 180gr 30-06 loads. Actually, IMR 4064 is my favorite powder.

[EDIT]
I would like to amend my comment due to an observation.

I had developed a load with my 30-30 using IMR 4064 and found that my vertical POI would change with just a 10ºF temperature change. I've never noticed this temperature sensitivity with my 30-06 and have used IMR 4064 for almost a year shooting it in all conditions.

I don't know if this issue would become an issue with the .308, but I thought I would put this out there since I have discontinued using IMR 4064 in my 30-30. I still use it in my Eddystone. :)

#18 ·
I have found that IMR 4064 is the "perfect" powder in my 6.5x55 rifles, both military and commercial. However, the powder weights are different from one rifle to another according to their preferences. I do have a couple of pounds of Varget to try but as of yet, not gotten around to it.

#21 ·
4064 or Varget?

I used Varget for years for my .308 reloads, and was very pleased with results and performance (two different rifles: one bolt and one semii-auto). However, when I get a generous gift card for Cabela's and went in to buy powder, they were sold out of Varget. The very helpful retail clerk opened up and researched every reloading manual they had for sale, consulted their 'reloading expert', and the conclusion was that IMR4064 was just fine for anything I wanted to load. And they were right. It's good stuff. I am also happy with it in my Swede 6.5x55, but haven't yet tried it for my 7.5 Swiss, among others. I anticipate equally satisfying performance.

#23 ·
Been using 4064 for years and love it. I use the same data for 7.62x51 and 7.5 MAS with identical results.

#25 ·
When I began reloading for my first centerfire rifle-a 243, my 'instructor' suggested I begin w/243 and the 60 gr Sierra bullet. That combination accounted for countless West Texas coyotes and jackrabbits. Moving up to heavier bullets, 4064 remained my 'go to' powder. Adding several additional calibers, I tried almost every DuPont and Hodgens powder but usually found I ended-up w/4064 as the powder yielding the most accurate loading. I have 5 .308/7.62 Nato rifles and they all get fed a diet of 4064 powder beneath usually a 150 gr bullet of various mfgrs. Seems 4064 and the .308 were made for each other.

#26 ·
Hi guys, I am new to reloading and never knew there were so many different powders and options... I'm trying to digest it all and I'm finally starting to absorb some of this :) Can anyone tell me if it is ok to use IMR4064 in a 7.62X54R cartridge? If so, what would be a starting load? I bought a bottle of this powder today for the 30-06 but I am wanting to shoot the mosins tomorrow and have brass ready but no recipe for IMR4064 to be found anywhere. I am using Hornady 150 FMJ BT projectiles.

#27 ·
If you are "new to reloading" and can not find a recipe for IMR 4064...you don't have a reloading manual. OR you don't have the right reloading manual. OR you don't have ENOUGH reloading manuals. While the internet is a good source for unexpected troubles you run into...... there is nothing like a good bunch of manuals to have for this kind of data.

A mild to moderate load I use in my SVT40 is 47gr of IMR 4064 with a 150gr bullet.

#28 ·
I've got the Lee manual and just bought the Lyman manual and neither of them show IMR 4064 for 7.62x54R. I also tried the Hodgdon site which includes IMR, and they don't show it either. I just got back from the store and bought some Varget, so I'm going to use that for now. Thanks!!

#30 ·
I've got the Lee manual and just bought the Lyman manual and neither of them show IMR 4064 for 7.62x54R. I also tried the Hodgdon site which includes IMR, and they don't show it either. I just got back from the store and bought some Varget, so I'm going to use that for now. Thanks!!
IMO it's a TAD fast for that big ole. -57R case, especially for the heavier bullets, but, that opinion aside, it's plenty useful, just, IMO, perhaps not really "optimal" except under the lighter end of the bullets.

My Hornady manual lists IMR4064 data for 7.62x54R, as follows:
123gr bullets, 45.7gr to 52.8gr, max giving 3100fps.
150gr bullets, 42.1gr to 49.9gr, max giving 2800fps.
178-180gr bullets, 35.9gr to 44.6gr, max giving 2500fps, several slower powders delivering 2600.
190gr bullets, 33.6gr to 44.9gr, max giving 2500fps, H-380 giving 2600.
220gr bullets, 36.7gr to 41.1gr, max giving only 2200fps, all other powders giving 2300 to 2400 fps.

Hornady claims they got best accuracy with 2 Vhitavouri powders, N-135 and N-140, but all were acceptable.

Hope that helps some Brian. Just goes to show, you can't have TOO MUCH DATA. LOL :)

#29 ·
4064 for Enfield .308

I have tried the same powder in my 2A: 150g Spire point (Sierra 2115) and 40gr 4064 in 1964 LC brass. Good for 100yd steel plates. Alliant lists a 25 gr load of 2400 for the same bullet for a softer shooting load, easier on the brass and shoulder too at not much more than 100 yds.

#32 ·
Nice thread. I'm partial to 4064 as well. I load it for 5.56, .308, & 8mm. However, I just bought some 748 to give it a try. Mo
748 has been my .308 powder since 1990 or so, never failed to perform for me, thus, not looking to replace it.

#33 ·
I have been reloading the 308 since 1975. I have tried many loads to get an all around accurat load for the 308 that works Very well in a number of different 308 rifles and barrel lengths.
What I finaly came up with many years ago is this excelent load which is the only load I use now.

165gr. SPEER B.T.S.P. #2034, 42.0 grains IMR 4064, CCI #200 large rifle primer = 2485 F.P.S.
This load gives me a three round group at 100 yards that you can cover with a quarter.

#34 ·
fly, i am a newbie also.these guys on here have taught me a lot. listen to em. they know of what they speak. i was looking at your thread and your grains per load.
the lyman book calls out for a 168 grain bullet to use 40.0 grains to start out with. then work up from there
. i only say this because you are a newbie. as am i. and you should start out small and work up.
load up 5 cases, using the 40 grains of imr 4064 .[ my go to powder also] shoot them. see how they do
then up your grains by 1/2 grain increments. shoot, ck em out. to see which load grain is best suited for you
also. go invest in a lyman 49th edition reloading hand book. you will find that imr 4064 is the best choice for a 308
the $27.00 is well worth the investment

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.