Gunboards Forums banner

1897 Shotgun: Source for stocks?

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  DeanDallas 
#1 ·
Hi all. I found an 1887 Winchester 12 ga shotgun at a gun show for $100 with a broken slide and missing forestock. I took the gun apart and cleaned it up and its time to order parts.

The butt stock has a pretty big crack at the wrist so I'm thinking about getting a replacement stock set since the forestock is missing anyway. I'm not having much luck finding an original stock set so I'm open to suggestions.

Right now I'm looking at Boyd's as they have a set for about $110. Know of any other options?

#2 ·
Keep checking the boards here as they do come up = also check ebay for "Stocks" and there have been several listed in "Shotgun News" in the past by some who make up reproduction wood stocks for all kinds of rifles/shotguns. Sounds like you bought it right, so don't get in a rush ===== they will come by!

#4 ·
I have purchased two very decent original Winchester 97 buttstocks off of yePay in the past couple of years. Price was under 100 bucks apiece by a considerable margin. If ya gotta have new, I fitted up one of the Boyd's stocks awhile back to a '97 and it was not too difficult a job and a pretty close fit as it came from the factory.

#5 ·
I think I'm going to try to fix the original for now and just keep an eye out for a cheap original to pop up somewhere as that seems to be about the only way to come across one. I just keep looking at new stocks and thinking how weird nice new wood would look on an old weathered gun and it just doesn't seem to suit it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.