Gunboards Forums banner

Norinco NHM 91

12K views 41 replies 10 participants last post by  Doug111663 
#1 · (Edited)
Picked up a NHM 91 at a gun show today. It was missing its bipod. Does anyone know a source for a factory bipod? Or does anyone have an extra>

Doug

#2 ·
I have an original you can have for free, but I must caution you, they are a piece of garbage. The little thumbscrews will not support the legs extended for more than a few rounds fired. You should get a nearly identical version with click-stop notches that will hold elevation during use. Here is a link to an expired auction to show you what to look for: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=194608537

I can still send you the mine, but you will not be happy with it.

Keith

#3 ·
I too have an NHM-91.
you will want to ditch the OG bipod,they are crap.
Junk bipod is a joke,ask anyone who has/used it.
I replaced mine with a chinese after market AK bipod that I put on n reverse and changed the screw out with a machine alan head type.
has locking legs and folds up nice.
and its chinese for my chinese rifle,though mine is in russan RPK wood.

#10 ·
Mine's in Russian wood too :) . Since this picture was taken, the Krinkov muzzle device has been removed and a 'more correct' looking Norinco 86-7s muzzle brake has been added.

Keith
I bet the 86 looks sweet!
I got a chinese made 74 type on mine now.
I did have the AMD "snake"type.looked good but too loud.
Im thinkng of getting an svd type or.http://www.cncwarrior.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=40
your first post on the auction,thats the bipod I use and its AWESOME.
nothing like the looks I got when I pulled this out to shoot when about 6 of the local PD guys were pulling out their little plastic AR's.

#5 ·
you can send it to me if you want. the bipod in the auction was mine. IMO that one was a piece of junk. it worked but the factory bipod is better made, more attention to QC. you can fix the factory one. I plunge milled three indents in each leg. one top, one middle and one on the bottom. did this on another one, it works good.

#7 ·
PM sent, Doug.

That's a good fix for the factory bipod :thumbsup: . I considered the same thing, but I like the speed of deploying the bipod with the detents and I found the quality of both types that I have to be identical (at least, with the two that I have :confused:) .

#9 ·
I've also found that if you reverse the legs of the original bipods, they seem to hold better(the screws would not hold in the slots they were designed to fit but worked better reversed). I did this when the legs would keep slipping after a few rounds. This was the only thing I found wrong with the original bipods. Besides the rifle works best without the bipod.

#11 ·
nothing like the looks I got when I pulled this out to shoot when about 6 of the local PD guys were pulling out their little plastic AR's.
I'm going shooting with a local sheriff deputy this week. I think I'm gonna take the NHM and my Saiga 12 in Russian wood, too :). He'll probably give me a similar look :laugh: .

Keith

Attachments

#12 ·
I like the dowel idea BOLO. I had actually considered welding the legs in the extended position. I have or have had several bipoded rifles, some factory, some I made. most often designers favor fixed legs for the reasons mentioned. heres mine. my NMH 91 there is also an AES10B and an Israeli FALO.

#15 ·
I do not know what could be considered bad about it, other than the butthole stock, and that isn't the Chineses' fault. Accuracy suffers with a barrel mounted bipod, but in reality, a bipod mounted like this is designed to control a machine gun during full auto fire, not to provide a stable platform for accurate fire. Since the NHM is limited to semi-auto, its more window dressing than anything else. I can actually maintain decent accuracy when bump firing the NHM from prone ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jijgDfA_Ym4 ), but when I am shooting normally, the bipod remains folded and I shoot off of a knapsack.

BTW Doug, the bipod en route to you is the one in the video.

Keith

#17 ·
dude,the look on your face at the end of this clip....youve got issues.
you are the type that will survive a zombie attack.
I never really heard anything about NHM issues.
Its not a sniper rifle,but Im sure you can hit a man sized target out to 300 yards.
thats all I want out of mine.
heavy barrel,thick reciever.
longer barrel.
If you take off the bipod and add a scope it would do pretty good.
Im not saying its a sniper,but its a good rifle that I wouldnt be scared to carry in a battle or the range.
or if its the end of the world and the government fell,the dead came back to life,dogs and cats living together type stuff,you could do whatever you wanted to it to make it the rifle you want it to be and have a cool rifle that looks bad as john travolta with the 40 round mags and drums.

#16 · (Edited)
my first NMH was one I debanned in '95 when the first FSE stock/FCG kits came out. I took it to my brothers place and we pinned a target on a tree. from the prone postiion at 60yds. I let three mags rip blasting as fast as I could to see how the modifications worked. when we went up to check the target 3/4 of the trees 12" trunk was gone , one big hole. all it took was a few more shots to down that tree.

like you said the bipod is more for control than any thing else. rifles like this are the closest thing we can get to a squad auto weapon they do have a purpose.

#18 ·
I have an NHM91 great rifle, I still have the "original" butthole stock made by Bishop (I believe). Same problems with the bipod as well, thought about drilling with a Dremmel but just never got around to it. I don't want to hijack this thread but I have some questions as well.
Where might I find pre ban wood?? IWD doesn't make RPK wood at the present time, well, for decent prices anyway.
This bipod you guys are talking about, the chinese made one, are they hard to find and are they expensive?? I haven't done much research as you may have gathered.
The muzzle cap on mine is threaded but the spring pin that can be pushed in to be able to rotate the cap off.....well, the pin won't budge. Any suggestions??
Great rifle, great time, need a drum mag, good wood and I will be all set!!
Thank you for the post and sorry if this seems to be hijacking.
Cheers,
Doose.

#19 · (Edited)
doose,

I have only seen one picture of proper Chinese RPK wood. most use type 56 wood. see above picture

I liked the factory bipod better, the one you speak of seemed cheaply made as compaired to the factory one. YMMV.

you must knock out the first pin to get the detent pin to move and replace the spring when you reassemble.

I don't think you can call it hijacking as you are still on topic.

#20 ·
Hi Doose,

I have not seen a set of Norinco 86-7s wood for sale in the last year or two. I wish I could find a set, I would swap my Russian furniture out in a heartbeat. The Type 56 wood is still available from Polytech I believe. And of course Russian and Romanian RPK wood still comes up fairly regularly on GB. Since the Chinese never fielded an RPK (that we know of) whatever you do will be just fine and limited only by what you find aesthetically pleasing.

Keith

#21 ·
Hi there!
Thanks for the replies,
I may just stick with the bipod on there already for now. The factory made bipod is not the one on the rifle?? Sounds like it is something different. The bipod on the gun now doesn't bother me very much, I typically shoot it with the bipod extended but with the legs retracted into the pod itself (lowest setting) so no problem with "auto retraction" of the legs.
KAGE, when you talk about the first pin, do you mean the first pin on the front sight assembly (the one at the front)??
As far as wood goes, maybe just a timber smith kit or something, I know original wood is difficult to find right now.
Like I said, great rifle and am glad I got one.

#22 ·
yes doose that is the one. IIRC I had to tap that one out. when you tap it out normaly your detent pin and a spring come out. the chinese put in a longer detent pin. you will need to replace it with a detent and spring. don't worry they are available here http://www.cncwarrior.com in the AK section. and while you are there get a nice american made muzzle attachment to keep you legal.

#23 ·
sounds good except I can't fnd it. Is it the "barrel" pin located on the 4th page under AK-47 stuff?
Also, I bought this gun as a "post" ban rifle, before 2004. Does it need to be made 922r compliant even if its a post ban rifle??
Thank you for the link!!

#26 ·
okay doose, in the AK section, third page, left column, fifth one down, AK muzzle detent pin and spring. my bad if you don't know what it looks like how will you find it. when you install the detent pin you want the cut out in the pin to be pointing downwards.

like rayman1 said you will need to make it compliant if you install a pistol grip and buttstock. I prefer to make them compliant with out the magazine. for mine I used a Tapco trigger, disconnector and hammer assy., a U.S. made pistol grip, a U.S. made gas piston and a U.S. made muzzle device, brake or flash supressor. you can omit any three of the aforementioned U.S. parts if you use a Tapco magazine. but beware if you insert an imported mag you are breaking the law.

hope this helps anymore questions feel free to ask.

#27 ·
KAGE, Rayman,
Thank you for the info!! I didn't realize that a gun could not be grandfathered in. Who would have thought changing the stock and grip and flash hider would render the gun against the law! Imported mags will make the gun illegal?? So I can't use any of the chinese steel mags already in my collection?? What about if I buy a drum mag at a gun show? Looks like I have some work to do on the gun. I will check the 922r parts list that are out there and go from there. Tapco triggers and FCGs can be ordered direct from Tapco correct?? I will look for the pin and I am sure I just whizzed past it when I was looking throught the pages. Cnc warrior has a good selection of muzzle devices and am sure anything will be better than the "thread" cover on there now. I will try to post pics when I get it all put together.
Thanks again!!

#28 ·
your on the right track doose. you need six parts to be good. I just prefer to make a gun compliant without the magazine. I have some in my collection that require magazine parts to make them compliant. note I said compliant not illegal. no one has ever been arrested for this but I don't want to be the first. I like buying them and returning them to their former glory. I am currently trying to collect at least one from every country, then I need magazines and bayonets. you get the picture. I see by some of your other posts you are gaining quite an interest. thats good. have fun.

#29 ·
A magazine counts as three parts. AKs with muzzle device attachments require six parts to make them compliant. If you replace the trigger group with three US parts, and use only US-made magazines, you are compliant. If you then later use a foreign magazine, you are immediately non-compliant. Makes perfect sense, no :laugh: ?

Keith

#30 ·
I love it when "grey" (or gray) areas pop up. What BS!! I can buy foreign made mags (chinese, bulgarian etc..) but I will be non compliant if I choose to use them. "oh, they are just part of my collection and they look good on my rifles.....they are empty of course when the mag is attached to the rifle...":rolleyes::rolleyes:
I understand completely...common sense will not be tolerated.
Thank you for the help!!
KAGE, I have been interested for a long time with SKSs RPKs and AKs, just haven't been able to chat with others on the internet about it. I must admit, the internet opens a bigger better world. Happy shooting!!

#35 ·
Kage,
I would like to have one of those chinese bipods.....wait, that would be non compliant!!! LOL. :laugh::p
The bipod doesn't count. You can have a US or foreign bipod and it doesn't affect your 'foreign parts' count one bit. Here's a link to the 16 parts that count on an AK. Note that a standard magazine counts as three parts (body, follower, floorplate).

http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

Keith

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.