Gunboards Forums banner

1950s 8mm Iranian

8K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  tribrothers 
#1 ·
Sportsmans Guide has an ammo can of 200 rds 198gr brass case berdan/corr. for 66.47 for buyers club members.$3.50 more for non members.I'm guessing that shipping is $11.99.That's roughly .39 cents per.

#4 ·
The cheapest 8mm on ammo seek is weidners 8mm prvi sniper made berdan primed for around $460 + shipping.They "think" it's non corr.That's .53 cents a round.Ow my butt hurts.The 900 rds ($230 shipped) of 1953 Yugo I'm having fun with was a bargain. And they all go bang. I guess the Sportsmans Guide price isn't too bad,if it all goes bang.

#16 ·
I doubt after this many years any stashes will be found. Only places we have to hope for are Cuba for 7.62x54, and 7.62x39, China for 7.62x54 and maybe 8mm. China did recieve a lot of military aid in the decades before WWII, though I doubt it would still be sitting around after all those years. Who knows, Nepal gun stash had been there since the 1880s until it was rediscovered. North Korea would have 7.62x39, and 7.62x54. Russia may have old 8mm stocks as you theorized, but I doubt it. India probably has .308, and seeing as to how long they used it, maybe even .303s somewhere. I am thinking of getting a new surplus rifle, thinking 8mm or .308, but both seem to be going fast. I'm suprised the 8mm is cheaper than the .308 where I've found it. Yeah, anyone been to shows lately? What is the .303 status? Price on Paki, Brit, Commonwealth, other? Dad has a friend who is taking me to the Great Eastern Gun Show sometime next year.

#18 ·
303, 7mm, 8x56R, 6.5 Jap. and 7.7, all Italian calibers on the surplus scene are basically gone. You can find people now and then dumping their stuff at gun shows, or flea markets, but importers haven't had large quantities in years now. The 8mm was super abundant from 95 to maybe 07 or so, and then poof, it dried up too. The stashes that came out of the former Soviet empire is now for the most part gone if u ask me. The 39 ammo surplus is mostly steel core, so banned from civilian import since 93 or so.

#19 ·
Bah crappy gov. steel core regulations. Sure, steel core goes through armor easier, but no body armor besides the biggest (and used by nobody but the army) will stop lead core x39. Yeah, 8x56, didn't they stop making that stuff in, like, 1938? I think there is still a good 3-5 years of coasting on Soviet surplus. What gets me is .303 is still in limited use in the world. I mean, it isn't totally obsolete yet. I would buy 50 cent .303 with no hesitation whatsoever. I think we would have a lot more surplus if there wasn't such restrictions on import. I'm sure there is plenty of WWII ammo in the sandbox and Africa. That's where a lot of countries dumped their obsolete before the colonies all gained sovereignity.

#20 ·
The sad thing is some of these countries, especially Africa, and South America ones had terrible storage. Too damp, hot, and all elements that kill primers. Also the U.S. State Dept. doesn't let certain countries sell us military stuff for so and so reasons. The UN is paying countries more than surplus importers will to destroy stuff! And, junk men also known as scrap metal dealers are also out there trying to buy the stuff. The nineties and early 2000 era was a gold mine of surplus like the fifties and early sixties but alas I think we have seen it come and go again. And even in Africa you now see most rebels and government types w/ Ak's or FAL's or even older M-16's. There are also restrictions on us reimporting US made ammo exported for use of foreign entities/armies.

#25 ·
In over 30 years of collecting never seen Soviet made 7,9 ammo. They captured millions of rounds, but most by this time were probably steel cased SmE ball ammo which is noted for rusting. By the seventies armies using this ammo from the 41 to 45 era realized the acids from the powder were damaging the cases causing case disintegration w/ a stuck steel case in your chamber!! They probably dumped it before that, and when needed got their ammo from other Warsaw pact allies like Czechoslovakia and Romania which made it at least into the seventies.

#26 ·
I got 2 ammo cans of this (400 rounds) and am surprised how clean it is. All same headstamp with a crown over what looks like two lower case r's. I believe this means 33 as in 1933, is this correct?? Will not get to try it for a while as my range is refurbing the berms. Appears to be real nice ammo, hope it's not click bang.

#29 ·
Yugo M75 sniper is expensive, but it is even more accurate than 70s Yugo. I tested with a 24/47 with open sights, I imagine a scope would really bring out its accuracy. It is the Gold Medal Match of 8mm.

#33 ·
8x57 Ammo

Luckily, I still have 4 8x57 rifles plus several cases of Romanian-Czech-Yugo 8x57 ammo that I am in the process of liquidating following a month in the hospital with the prognosis of less than a year until I sucumb to terminal cancer. I am liquidating everything that my twin sons-wife did not declare they wanted. I have already sold several firearms to fellow officers-local friends but none of them are really into mil-sups.
What is the current price of sealed cases of Romanian 8x57 ammo, a 1200 rnd sealed case of I believe Czech ammo (unsuire of markings on case and do not have energy @ present time to dig it out) and I believe sealed case of 900 rnds of either Czech or Yugo ammo?
I wish to thank any who respond as I have not purchased any 8x57 ammo in the past few years and do not know the current prices but do know that @ gun shows in Dallas Tx area, it cannot be found.

#34 · (Edited)
What is the current price of sealed cases of Romanian 8x57 ammo, a 1200 rnd sealed case of I believe Czech ammo (unsuire of markings on case and do not have energy @ present time to dig it out) and I believe sealed case of 900 rnds of either Czech or Yugo ammo?
Some dealers still have Yugo 8mm and Persian 8mm for around $0.25 per round. The Romanian and Czech ammo is worth a little more, as they haven't been available for a couple of years, and are generally higher quality than the Persian and some of the Yugo.

8mm is getting tougher to find, so you shouldn't have very much trouble selling it. You might want to post a WTS ad in the Trader section of this forum. I'd most likely be interested in some of it when you post it up for sale.

#35 ·
Thank You RogueJSK for your reply and information. As I mentioned, I had not purchased any ammo in quite some time so I am not as familiar with the value of rifles-pistols-ammo-reloading components as I had been. Mama and her LARGE list of 'honey-dos' around the house have taken control over my actions for a considerable time. I posted an earlier reply but the forum kicked it out; hope this makes it thru.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.