Gunboards Forums banner

Replica Revolver Makers

32K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  argo69 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a Remington 1858 New Model BP replica revolver that I purchased in the early 1960's. There is no manufacturer markings anywhere. How can I find out who the maker was ?
Are there specific proof marks for Uberti, Pietta, Armi San Marco, etc.?

#2 ·
I have a Remington 1858 New Model BP replica revolver that I purchased in the 1960's. There is no manufacturer markings anywhere. How can I find out who the maker was ? Are there specific proof marks for Uberti, Pietta, Armi San Marco, etc.?
There is an equal chance that your 1960's era revolver was made in Spain.

Are there ANY marks on it at all?

Underneath the rammer, fer instance?

tac

#3 ·
On closer inspection the revolver has "Navy Arms Co Ridgefield N.J. Italy" stamped on the top flat of the barrel. "Cal .44" is on the left barrel flat.The right barrel flat has "PN" and a Shield stamped on it with a helmet-like proof marking above each. The right frame has the same markings as on the right barrel flat, along with "XXV".
I apologize for not taking a better first look.

#5 ·
Navy Arms was founded by the collector Val Forgett in 1956, and was the first US-based company to capitalise on the emerging interest in black powder arms of all kinds.

He was the first to bring the products of Uberti, and other Italian gun-makers who had agreed to try their hands at making modern replicas of old-fashioned guns, to an eager audience of American shooters, keen to 'carry on the movement' where their great-grandfathers had left off.

It is difficult to determine the actual maker of your revolver, but the proof marks are those of Gardone Val Trompia - the Italian proof house, and the PN stands for Pulvero Nero - Black Powder.

The unornamented Roman numerals seen on your revolver were used from 1945 until 1975. The XXV [25], shows that your revolver was proofed in 1969.

tac

#6 ·
Navy Arms

Val Forgett's first replica revolvers were first sold out of his original business Service Armament Co. in Bogata,NJ.in 1960 .It was a small store fullof miscellaneous Militaria.He had just got a show case to display the revolvers. The first was the Colt 1851 Navy. He showed me the Proto type. He changed the business name To Navy Arms,And subsequently Moved into an empty bank building where business flourished. I think Uberti was the maker. My revolver has a G.U .stamp Possibly Guilio Uberti. Sgt.Ron

#9 ·
Can you tell me the source of your information whereby you knew the pistol was proofed in 1969 because of the roman numeral XXV? I have recently inherited this same pistol and have the same markings as the original poster (Broomhandle) excepting I cannot make out the last roman numeral on mine right now. I also have a 5-digit serial number on the handle. I am researching the gun's origins and am trying to determine the manufacturer as well as the date of manufacture.

#15 ·
Can you tell me the source of your information whereby you knew the pistol was proofed in 1969 because of the roman numeral XXV? I have recently inherited this same pistol and have the same markings as the original poster (Broomhandle) excepting I cannot make out the last roman numeral on mine right now. I also have a 5-digit serial number on the handle. I am researching the gun's origins and am trying to determine the manufacturer as well as the date of manufacture.
I found this on an American Shooting website and thought the chart might help a few owners of Italian Guns.

Check your gun proof marks and see the year of manufacture on the chart below -

That'll be $5, thank you.

tac

#11 ·
1851 uberti navy arms 44 cal,. revolver

I have been reading all your statements on navy arms revolver .
I have the same revoler that everyone is talking about.
On the barrle top the words navy arms co ridgefield n j .
On the brass frameing there is a uberti symbol and on the other side of the brass frame is a xx7 ,the barrle left side has 44 cal. Printed.
At the front of the trigger guard is a #17867.
Trying to find a spare cylinder for it.

Any info would be helpfull .

Thanks

#14 ·
Dixie Gun Works sells spare cylinders for Remington replicas. Keep in mind you have to get a cylinder made by the same manufacturer as your revolver. I own a Euroarms Rogers & Spencer made in 1977. Three months ago I ordered a Euroarms replacement cylinder from Dixie made by Euroarms last year. The new cylinder fit in my revolver PERFECTLY.

You can "Google" up the Dixie Gun Works catalog. They have a spare cylinder for your revolver but you might have trouble finding it on their website. Your best bet is to call them on their toll free number [which you can get off the website.]

#16 ·
Thanks for posting the chart! I had to check a brass frame Navy that I have and found the mark XX8 on it and also a small gear type thing with a star inside it as well as the PN marks. The barrel and cylinder are replacements so I do not know who made it. Anybody have any ideas of what the XX8 might mean?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.