Gunboards Forums banner

Pietta percussion revolvers = JUNK!

39K views 70 replies 32 participants last post by  StillwaterBill 
#1 ·
I am the "proud" owner of 4 Pietta Colt repros, a brass frame .36 Navy, a steel frame .36 Navy, a steel frame .44 "Navy" and a '61 Navy.

I have only done any real amount of shooting with the steel frame .36 Navy, over the past few days I put about 40 rounds through it. At first I used light "target" loads and then decided to try a 25 gr. "max" load of Pyrodex P, with Buffalo Bullet conicals. I only fired 6 "max" loads and then discover that the end shake of the cylinder was greater, the rear of the slot for the wedge is badly peened and the wedge now goes all the way in to the frame with finger pressure (bad) and also falls out with finger pressure. The gap between the forcing cone and cylinder is greater then when it was new. In effect, the gun has shot loose after only a few bigger charges.

Also, my .44 Navy has only 12 rounds through it with light loads and round balls, and is visibly starting to peen the wedge slot already, as well as my other brass .36, with only 6! 12 gr. loads through it, has the start of peening. I am an experienced BP shooter and do not abuse my guns, and do not "over hammer" the wedge, only pushing or very lightly tapping it until it is just flush to the right of the slot.

In contrast, my Uberti 1851 .36 has just about maybe 60 rounds through it, and looks like it just came out of the box, as it should. I expect a gun I pay $2-300+ for to actually be a GUN! that will last for a very long time. I feel my Uberti will still be tight after thousands of rounds, but my Piettas are already starting to wear after only handfuls of light charges and careful assembly and dis-assembly. Pietta's seem like display pieces that are only meant to maybe be fired a few times, the steel is so soft that you can't expect any reasonable use out of them. I now have to fashion some kind of shim to make my Pietta's useable so I can at least get my money's worth out of them. No more Piettas for me.

Moral - Buy Uberti! For $100 more or so you get a revolver that will actually be able to be used, especially now that Beretta has taken them over.

See less See more
#36 ·
Anybody ever seen the Pietta Colt SAA copies? I bought one back around 2003, and before I had shot 20 rounds, the whole ejector assembly fell off the gun, the screw boss was soft soldered to the barrel, it also seemed to have a hair trigger. I took it back to the shop where I bought it, they sent it to a gunsmith who repaired the ejector assembly and replaced the hammer with a new one. When I got it back, I took it to the farm, shot 6 rounds with no problem, but as I was loading the gun with the next 6 rounds, the hammer dropped from half cock, it fired the round in the chamber which was not completely lined up with the barrel, and spit lead into my right arm, and the ejector assembly fell off again. I took it back to the shop, and they just told me to pick out anything in the shop that was equal to what I had paid for that piece of c**p. Later on I bought an Uberti SAA copy that I have shot over 500 rounds through with ZERO problems. I also had a Pietta copy of the 1862 Colt pocket model that was a piece of junk also, I had to replace the trigger spring twice, mainspring once after less than 30 rounds. Spend the extra money for Uberti guns, the Pietta Colt copies seem to be problem ridden.

#37 ·
To all with bp arms grievances, attention:

ATTENTION ALL:

Feel free to take all of the black powder pistols, parts, and items that you say are junk and place them in a flat rate USPS box and send them to the following address:

A-1 REPAIR AND RESTORATION
PO BOX 296
LAKE CITY, MICHIGAN
49651-296

I will reimburse your shipping.

...and since all things Pietta are junk, make sure to send me all that you have purchased so that they will not bother you anymore.

You do not want them so please send them to me.

#38 ·
Holy Shirt - I'd better send you my cr*ppy Pietta Remington Model 1858 [thirty years of totally reliable performance so far], the other nine in our club, my 23-year old totally reliable ROA and my second series Colt Walker, because in spite to their ages and general decrepitudes, not a thing has gone wrong with any of them - apart from a bendy wedge on the AMERICAN-made Colt - in all the time I've owned them.

Sheeeeesh, guess I've been REAL lucky,eh?

tac

#39 ·
No Tom, I would say your experience is the same as my own.

I have been shooting many brands for a long time and I have come to the conclusion (based in my own experiences repairing them) that many of these "different" brands are buying their parts from the same places.

I think the idea that they have traditionally used better steel from one manufacturer to the next is downright silly.

With exception to specific premium pistols and rifles (not brands of pistols and rifles), they are all very similar.

Metal quality is a recent issue and does not seem to affect most of the BP items made prior to the last couple of years.

The metal quality issue affects many manufacturers of firearms, including smokeless.

Heritage Arms has been plagued with this issue since they went "cheaper" a couple of years ago.

#67 ·
While revolver makers are largely machinists and engineers, their instructions are overseen by lawyers, hence the artificially low powder charge recommendations.

For around 4 decades, I have used 23 gr. 3f for all my .44's. Concensus is that it produces optimum accuracy in all my Remingtons and Colts, including a Dragoon, and also ROA.

I use 17 gr 3f in all my .36's and have found it to give me best accuracy.

I use a lightly greased paper wad between powder and ball for both calibers.

#41 · (Edited)
I am the "proud" owner of 4 Pietta Colt repros, a brass frame .36 Navy, a steel frame .36 Navy, a steel frame .44 "Navy" and a '61 Navy.
over.
I could use those guns as raw material for repairs/conversions I'm doing. I'd pay you $100/each for the steel frame guns, and $75/each for the brass frame guns- plus shipping. Let me know if you want to cash in.

$350 on the barrel head, and you can buy something better that holds together, like a Ruger OA- Remington 1858- Rogers/Spencer- or Uberti Peacemaker cap/ball- or a cartridge conversion from Cimarron for $450 that really is a good gun

That goes for anyone else reading this thread as well-if you have "low quality" cap/ball pistols that you're disgusted with- I'll pay cash for them as follows: $75 each brass frame guns complete- $100 each steel frame guns complete- broken brass frame guns that are complete $50 each- I'll pay the freight/paypal fees/etc.

parts- I'll pay $25/each steel barrel, $20/each cylinders, good back half of gun populated frame with parts/grips/arbor, but missing cylinder/barrel- $50

this offer won't last forever- once I get stocked up, that's it- I won't need any more. Already got 1 barrel and 3 cylinders from other sellers. Cash in while you have the chance.

#45 ·
I looked at a .36 Navy today, brass frame, PN in a box stamping (Pietta, correct?). It was older, "COM" under the barrel, serial numbers on barrel, frame, trigger guard. Didnt seem too bad at all hadnt been fired much. What era would this have been made? Seller wanted $150.

#48 ·
I'm thinking later 80's to early 90's..
good enough price if it's mint...
I saw a new Traditions that looks like a relic...
even the pits in the metal..
looks like a 140 yr old piece... but at $290.00 yours sounds better,:eek:
I like the older ones... new ones seem to have taken a nose dive in quality
IMHO
Did you get your new rifle yet?
I'm loving the Lyman you sold to me Zampilot:D...
great gun.....
Lar.

#49 ·
It's a long way from mint, really dirty and the trigger is sticky. The bore was full of lint and the seller couldnt get the wedge out to remove the cylinder.
I'm waiting on that Lewis and Clark, bought the lock today at Track. It'll be about 100 hours of fun work to finish.

#50 ·
all of the pietta "shooters revolvers are top quality, hardened internals,gain twist barrels.before i bought my own i shot a box stock one in competition. and like the one i've used for the last 5 years they will deliver x ring accuracy at 50 yds all day long.like most cap an ball revolvers they deliver best accuracy using lighter loads 20 -25 grs 3f,and filler such as cream of wheat ,so that the ball seats near flush with the top of the cylinder . i cover my ball with spg.

#51 · (Edited)
Hi all, been away from the forum for a while, busy with army stuff:mad:

locknloadnow, thanks for the offer, but I can cash in a lot more by returning the junk Piettas to Dixie for a full refund. I emailed them about the problems with the Piettas I bought from them and their reply was exactly

"Our gunsmith says this problem with peening at the barrel wedge is normal, as Pietta barrels are not hardened and normal break in will occur"

They even admit Pietta does not harden their barrels.

I love Dixie and have been a customer for nearly a decade but this is pure BS, the peening from loading/shooting should not expand the cylinder gap and allow the wedge to drop out after only about 40 rounds of normal loads. My .44 "Civilian Navy" has only SIX rounds on it and there are already signs of peening, and these 6 were only 15 grain loads and .454 round ball. Their 12 gr. recomended load is pretty much a gallery load and is barely enough to seat a ball against in a .36, let alone a "max" load. It's Pietta doing some CYA action so when people shoot the guns loose they can call it "abuse". Even though I no longer have the receipt the guns are going back to DGW, for at least store credit so I can buy another Uberti.

I bought the .44 Navy from Cabelas so I might just end up keeping that one, I like the look and feel of it and maybe I can find an older Pietta barrel to fit on it, perhaps the steel is better on the "vintage" Pietta parts.

In contrast, my Uberti Leech & Rigdon has handled about 50 max loads, chambers filled to the top with Pyrodex P and a ball crushed on top with 0 signs of peening, none. People call this "abuse" but must bear in mind a Uberti .44 Colt repro uses the same frame, cylinder pin, and wedge as a .36 and must handle more powerful loads and heavier lead ball. Same with my Uberti 3rd Model Dragoon, 50 gr. loads= no problem. I'm not saying Uberti's are the best guns on the planet, but they do what collector's and shooters like me want out of a good repro, a gun that equals or betters the original in metallurgy, durability and performance. I don't ask for an 1860 Army made of 4140 ordnance steel, just a gun that's as good as the original. I know a $300 Uberti is not a $5,000 Korth revolver or a $2,000 Colt Anaconda, but they replicate originals that are impossible for me to afford and if I could would not shoot for their historical value. Pietta wants $200 for a gun, that isn't up to standard to be fired for any real amount of rounds, and $200 isn't exactly cheap, you can buy a good used cartridge gun for that.

Sorry Pietta fans but I must call a spade a spade here, the guns are soft and do not give service as much more than display pieces and occasional things to take out and make smoke with. Granted, the actions are lovely and they are reliable and accurate, but a reliable accurate gun is useless if I have to re-peen the metal by the wedge after a shooting session just to keep it together.

I am by no means a rich man, but would happily pay the price if USFA would turn out Colt percussion repros made to the same standards and with the same steel as their Model "P" repros.

From my experience the older repros seem to be made of better steel.My 1969 Uberti brass frame .44 Navy has harder steel than any Pietta, it is only handicapped by the brass frame or else I would actually shoot it a lot more. I have two Lyman import EuroArms 1858 Rems and they are equal to if not better than anything made even by Uberti today. The Lyman imports seem to have been made to a higher standard, maybe because Lyman intends on staying in business and not passing anything but the best on to their customers.

#54 ·
I shot my half and full frame pietta to death. Plan on getting another soon.
Yea I shot my Pietta to death too. It was a steel frame 1860 Army. The catch under the barrel that holds the rammer came off. They are dovetailed in there so they can't drop straight off, it slid out sideways. Those two pins on the front of the frame that receive the barrel got sloppy loose. The cylinder was wobbly in the frame too. This thing was rattling apart in my hands! I didn't have it very long before all this began to happen either. Maybe 4 or 5 sessions at the range, the thing was still new!

I ended up taking it to a gun show and sold it to a guy who dealt a lot in BP pistols. I guess he figured he could fix it up because after listening to my horror stories about the gun he still wanted it.

#53 ·
[QUOTE
"Our gunsmith says this problem with peening at the barrel wedge is normal, as Pietta barrels are not hardened and normal break in will occur"

They even admit Pietta does not harden their barrels."

Somewhere above i stated this is what Pietta told me to my face. I believe my "profit before quality?" question fell on deaf ears as well. They make/made 45/70 sharps reproduction that I refused to repair due to softness and machining issues. I believe their quality control took a dump at least 10 years ago.

#57 ·
Now I'm starting to wish I'd looked this board over before picking up an 1851 by Traditions (Pietta) recently.

Traditions says to load the .44 at 22 - 30 grains, while Pietta says to use half that at most.

How long can I expect this thing to last at 15 grains, or at 20 (just below Traditions minimum)?

#59 ·
I got a Remington .44 25 years ago at a show for $110. I am not sure of the manufacturer, but it was importred by Navy Arms and the proof is a star over PN. THe pistol is exceptionally well made.

I have shot it primarily with the load from the pistol flask spout (20 grains?), but I have also used compressed loads with round ball and conicals. The only bad thing that happened is the stock broke at the locating pin in the heel. This was actually a good thing because I was able to hand fit a larger stock set, which makes the gun feel better in the hand. Also, I did not like the finish on the original. It did not look authentic and was too slippery when I got crisco on it. (I cap off the cylinders with crisco after loading.) The hand spring fell out of the hand, but I was able to crimp it back in and it is still holding after 15 years.

I have now put in excess of 5000 rounds through it and the gun is showing some nice patina. Several years ago all the bluing came off the cylinder while was soaking it during cleaning. It looks cool like that so I left it. I like the look of honest wear on a gun. The forcing cone is gas cut, but accuracy is not affected. The barrel still has to tool marks in it and shows absolutely no wear.

I have compared my pistol to the new ones I see at the shows and thie difference is amazing. The quality out there can be really bad. I have seen revolvers with loose cylinders and other major problems.

I got a call from my brother the other day and he was able to negotiate a .36 colt for $20. I think the stocks are broke, but the gun looks unfired. For $20 I could not resist. I hope it is a good one. I knew the owner and he died 10 years ago at age 87 and I never knew him to be a shooter. His wife died a month ago and the gun was in an estate sale.

#60 ·
That Pietta of mine that fell apart wasn't a recent one. It was one I got out of Cabela's catalog back in the late 90's, so they might have clamped down on quality control some since then.

I am sure every Pietta isn't that bad, there is no way they could stay in business. But still, I would never own another Pietta gun.

That experience is what drove me to buying the more expensive Colt BP pistols. This was back when Colt Blackpowder Arms was around. As I remember it was that gun trader at the show I sold the Pietta to who told me about the Colts. Try a Colt says he, they won't fall apart on you.

Now that I have Colts for my BP shooting fix I can't go back to Uberti or Pietta even though the Colts are basically worked over Italian guns. I am kind of spoiled with having a gun with the Colt markings on them, and they are well made and finished.

If I ever buy another reproduction BP pistol it will be a 2nd generation Colt NIB. I think I would rather have that than even a 3rd generation Signature Series.

#61 ·
I have a pietta '61 navy and a '51 navy that probably have better than 1000 rounds each through them with nary a problem. I shoot them in cowboy action matches and they absolutely have to work with out a hitch, which they do. No complaints from me. I use 19gr 3fff , a 3/8" wad from circle fly and a .375 ball. This load leaves the ball just under flush with the cylinder. I usually smear a little crisco over the ends of the cylinder chambers.
I also use a pair of Uberti 1860's with fluted cylinders and probably have as many shots through those with no problems. 24 gr 3ff loads, wad, and .457 ball with a little crisco over the ends....no problemo.
On the other hand, my shootin pard has a pair of '72 open tops from Uberti in .38 special that consistently fall apart with black powder loads.... never gets through a match with them.

#62 ·
I think that we can assume from all this is that the quality of the Italian guns is a real crap shoot. Some, like me, have had great results. Others using the same pistol of the same brand have bad results. This leaves me to wonder if I will get my $20 worth out of my latest acquisition before is falls apart.

#63 ·
I realize that this addition is way behind the line of conversation, but I have a Pietta (purchased brand new) with a production mark of AM (1984) and have had zero problem with it during the time of ownership. I don't fire it every weekend and three years ago I sent it down to my daughter in Arizona where she has been firing it steadily along with her 9mm and AR.
The lip on the end of the wedge broke off (replaced) and we lost the wedge screw (ordered), but other than that it has been moving right along doing everything it's supposed to do. She has even used it against steel targets where I only fired against 3x5 cards with an orange target dot in the center.

#64 ·
I have nearly equal numbers of Piettas and Ubertis. All have functioned well over the past decades, some needing a little minor tune-up or fitting, which can be expected of any production firearm.

The only truly substandard black powder revolver I have is an 1862 Colt New Model Police. The cylinder has a high spot that rubs against the frame in one spot. It doesn't have much more end play than other Colt Design revolvers, nevertheless, I had to install a set of replacement nipples that are a little longer than the original factory nipples in order to set off the percussion caps. The wedge wasn't even finger tight, and the little squat front sight causes it to hit about 12" high at 50'.

Pretty much the same complaints the OP had about all Piettas being junk, however this gem is made by Uberti. I could probably state that "all Ubertis are junk" based on the experience of a single lemon out of all my other good Ubertis, but to do so would be naive at best, and bordering on ignorant ...

#65 ·
I agree with AZshooter. I have a few BP revolvers (40+), I look at them as kit guns that may need some tuning to be reliable. The quality of all has increased in the past 15 years. I've owned lemons from all the manufacturers including 2nd Gen Colts.

The Pietta 1858 "shooters model" is one of the best I have owned, I have 3 of them now and all are very good shooters. The Belgian made 1960 Colts are made with excellent material but some need tuning for reliable operation. My best shooter is a 2nd gen walker.

#68 ·
I've had two Pietta blued 1858 Remington repros for at least 15 years.... Many hundreds of rounds fired. 30 gr of Triple seven or American Pioneer BP substitute, (FFFG), a lubricated fiber (felt) wad, and round ball. (And --I was casting mine out of water quenched Wheel weights- cause at the time, I didn't know any better! lol not pure lead, as I should have) BOTH Still lock up tight, and, no malfunctions at all. (Including the loading rams and pivot pins)

THe only issue I have is that they BOTH have heavy trigger pulls..... and a supposed "Drop in" spring sets I bought that were supposed to reduce the pull weight, actually made them HEAVIER!! ROFL

Quality wise, both examples I have are accurate and reliable..... I've never shot mine with "real" BP.... I LOVE the easy clean-up of Triple 7 and Amwerican Pioneer Powder/ SHockey's gold)

#69 ·
First of all, I consider any percussion pistol I purchase to be a "Kit Gun" as each and every one can be "tuned" to have a better action that will increase the accuracy. IF you can't do the "tune up" work yourself, there are many gunsmiths out there that can do the work and do a good job for a reasonable price.

Speak no evil of Pietta to me. I have a Pietta "Shooters Revolver" that is the most accurate revolver I have ever owned, including some custom accurized .45 Autos. Funny, the Pietta Shooter's Revolver came "out of the box" with a "smooth as silk" action and "off the bench" at 50 yards it will put all of its bullets in one ragged hole if I do my part. The only downside is that you must have a special .464" diameter round ball mould made up as factory made .457 RB's are too small for best accuracy.

A few years ago, Pietta replaced most of the machinery in their plant with the latest model CNC machines. The quality of their pistols have definitely improved in the past few years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.