Default Norinco NHM91 quality

Where does the Norinco NHM91 fall in the AK quality spectrum?

What's it worth in todays jazzed-up market? Thanks.

I paid $725 for mine about 2 months ago and it came with a spare russian RPK stock set, 3 mags, a bipod, and uhhh... I don't remember what else. They're excellent rifles, but a little on the heavy side when compared to other AKs since they're somewhere between AK and RPK. Mine was a tack driver at the range, but I still don't care for the price tag.
    Signed,

Fatherandersonthepaladin
    Purveyor of fine Mosins, Hater of Bubba, and Pantsless Evil Dictator of Eggplants.

Post Wow

I paid $265 for my 1st one in 1992 and less than that last year for my 2nd one at a pawn shop before the prices skyrocketed. These are some of the most accurate tools with nice heavy barrels. The 2nd one was from a pawnshop I like to go to where I act as I don't know anything about guns and neither does the shop owner. To him their just pawn that was never picked up and he just wanted his $$s back. Never educate pawn shop owners is a no.1 rule of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Elk View Post
    I paid $265 for my 1st one in 1992 and less than that last year for my 2nd one at a pawn shop before the prices skyrocketed. These are some of the most accurate tools with nice heavy barrels. The 2nd one was from a pawnshop I like to go to where I act as I don't know anything about guns and neither does the shop owner. To him their just pawn that was never picked up and he just wanted his $$s back. Never educate pawn shop owners is a no.1 rule of mine.
    Truth be told you're right elk. I've never yet imparted to the pawn shop owner down south of me that he's selling guns about $100-$400 short of market value. Makes life worth living eh?
    Signed,

Fatherandersonthepaladin
    Purveyor of fine Mosins, Hater of Bubba, and Pantsless Evil Dictator of Eggplants.

Thanks fellas for your comments. I enjoy target shooting and the NHM91 is tempting.

Hey Viking52, FWIW one of my NHM91s is the most accurate AK I have, consistently shooting 1-1/2 moa at 100 yards. And the price you paid may sound high, but there are not any more coming to these shores. Its a great rifle, shoot and enjoy it. :D

I got my NHM91 just after the AW ban Feb 1996 for $240 at the same time I got my Daewoo DR-200 with a butthole stock too for $385.
    The Chine 91 came with a crappy butthole blond wood stock, welded nut over the barrel threads, ground off bayo lug, 2 Hi-cap mags and a bipod. Also got some orgional blond Chine replacement furnature at that time for only $45. Put on a scope and side rail. Picked up a 100 rd drum for $39.
    It shot OK but i never tried to put a bullet into another bullet.
    Thing about the Chine they had a nice blue on the metal marts. From gun to gun they were kinda different as these were hand made back them. Much better than the neutered rough finished E-Euro stuff at the time as the Berlin wall did not fall until 89 and it took a long time for their firearms to filter over. Expecially with the AW ban in session.

Roger
    Last edited by rogertc2; 03-24-2009 at 08:57 AM.
    Addicted to guns and want them all before I die.

Quote Originally Posted by rogertc2 View Post
    I got my NHM91 just after the AW ban Feb 1996 for $240 at the same time I got my Daewoo DR-200 with a butthole stock too for $385.
    The Chine 91 came with a crappy butthole blond wood stock, welded nut over the barrel threads, ground off bayo lug, 2 Hi-cap mags and a bipod. Also got some orgional blond Chine replacement furnature at that time for only $45. Put on a scope and side rail. Picked up a 100 rd drum for $39.
    It shot OK but i never tried to put a bullet into another bullet.
    Thing about the Chine they had a nice blue on the metal marts. From gun to gun they were kinda different as these were hand made back them. Much better than the neutered rough finished E-Euro stuff at the time as the Berlin wall did not fall until 89 and it took a long time for their firearms to filter over. Expecially with the AW ban in session.

Roger
    NHM91s never had bayo lugs son... they're an RPK variant, so a bayo would be counterproductive. They DID, however, have a bipod that came with them which makes 'em much more accurate and easy to handle. I personally like 'em a hell of a lot better than those romak RPK AES10's that are being pushed on the market right now.
    Signed,

Fatherandersonthepaladin

Post On the Bipods

You know how those bipods seem to always slip? Well I sat there one day and took the bipod rods out. the slots that had the tighten up screws on them I turned them around and faced them to the outside. I was amazed that the bipods never slipped on me again and I've kept them that way since. Figure that one out.

The guys are right about a good HEAVY gun. Mine is around 13 pounds w/scope. I does shoot well.

Ron

Hey GrassLakeRon, Top of the Morning to You, from Irish Hills Ray
    In the Hard Woods up North.

Good Morning

Ron

Come on now Old Man the Chine NHM91s are just an AK with a 21" barrel. And yes the bayonet mount was ground off mine. They were never sniper rifles. You should have known that with all your experiance.
    Last edited by rogertc2; 03-25-2009 at 06:47 PM.
    Addicted to guns and want them all before I die.