Default Yugo M75 8mm Sniper Ammo

Anyone have any experiences with this Yugo M75 8mm sniper ammo that's about to be released. Is it worth the .41 cents a pop?

People are saying it's the same as the 70's yugo out there. And no, it's not worth it. My cutoff for surplus is about 25-30 cents. After that i'll pay the 50 cents a round for ppu and not have to wash the barrels out. Yes, I'm that lazy.

Even if the Yugo ammo coming was worth the money......do many of us have a weapon that needs a "Sniper" 8mm round. I have some Mausers that group pretty well already. Can't say that a half inch improvement in my 100rd groups is going to excite me much.

I paid 7.5cents/rd for a bunch of the 70s PPU 8mm last year so I am gonna pass on this stuff.

I bought a few tins of Russian sniper ammo for my MNs to try it out. It was just as accurate as CZ Silvertip. It is a hollow tip steel core with a lead knocker. Devastating if it hits something, that's all. I am knee deep in 70's Yugo 8mm that performs very well, why pay a premium price for that stuff. As far as "sniper" ammo, at it's best it's unique to the weapon it is fired from. My stuff for the 700 PSS .308 and 700 VSS .223 is all hand load stuff for the rifle, 100% hit 100% of the time. The term "sniper" for ammo is over rated and a sales ploy. It is better to be sure, but it is not a magic bullet, you still need to do your part. If the "sniper " stuff is getting here, more affordable ammo is coming behind it. If they market the cheaper stuff first, the "sniper" ammo would never sell.
    Last edited by cosmo05; 11-02-2007 at 02:07 PM.

Default M75 sniper ammo

Hi everyone,

Yes, it is expensive and you are right about it not being worth the extra in a rifle of normal accuracy, but if you DO have a rifle capable of sniper accuracy, say an original M76, it does make a big difference. The last time I saw this ammo for sale was Navy Arms back in 1987 just after I had purchased a Mitchell-imported Yugo M76 sniper. One gun writer tested the rifle at that time and was not impressed by its accuracy. He did admit to using whatever 8mm surplus ammo he had laying around to do the test. For me, performance of my rifle was also so-so until I used this ammo. Accuracy went from over 3 moa to under 1 moa. I've experienced similar results with other rifles. Putting cheap ammo through a highly capable rifle doesn't do it justice. My 1987 purchase was brand new, headstamped 1987 and was good stuff, specifically made for the M76. I just ordered a case from AIM. It will be interesting to see if it is headstamped 1987 or newer.

Quote Originally Posted by bnl View Post
    Hi everyone,

Yes, it is expensive and you are right about it not being worth the extra in a rifle of normal accuracy, but if you DO have a rifle capable of sniper accuracy, say an original M76, it does make a big difference. The last time I saw this ammo for sale was Navy Arms back in 1987 just after I had purchased a Mitchell-imported Yugo M76 sniper. One gun writer tested the rifle at that time and was not impressed by its accuracy. He did admit to using whatever 8mm surplus ammo he had laying around to do the test. For me, performance of my rifle was also so-so until I used this ammo. Accuracy went from over 3 moa to under 1 moa. I've experienced similar results with other rifles. Putting cheap ammo through a highly capable rifle doesn't do it justice. My 1987 purchase was brand new, headstamped 1987 and was good stuff, specifically made for the M76. I just ordered a case from AIM. It will be interesting to see if it is headstamped 1987 or newer.
    If you look at Aim's photo insert, the shell laying on the box shows a 1976 headstamp.

i went ahead and ordered a can from AIM; .34/round shipped. if i had more money to burn, i would order another can....but i think 900 rounds will last me for a while.
    Last edited by ChazzMcKlausna; 11-14-2007 at 06:14 PM.

Or you could skip this over priced surplus and instead buy really over priced new commercial ammo.

"specifically made for the M76."

I think that is somewhat of a misconception.. An article was in Shotgun News a while back on the Yugoslav Sniper Rifle and ammunition. It was written after a vist to the rifle/ammo Yugoslav factories. The Yugo sniper ammo is made with the same basic components as their Ball ammo but to a "higer precision". Any Lot of "sniper ammo" that does not test out to spec. is labeled as Ball ammo and issued as such.

It should shoot better than ball in any weapon chambered for 8mm mauser ammunition. But remember all rifles are as individualistic as people.....your rifle, even if an M76, may shoot smaller groups with Portugese 8mm ball.

When you buy Federal Gold Medal Match .308 Ammo it isn't made for any specific weapon, just made REAL GOOD. Most ammo makers, even if it is going to be used in a specific Sniper Weapon, develop precision rounds in Sold mounted Test Barrels to eliminate weapon variables in testing.

I'll let you guys know how it does in my M76.
    Administrator www.militaryfirearm.com

HANG IN THERE
    WE'LL BE BACK!
    "SHOW ME"

This IS about the best ammo that I've tried in my 42/1939, byf 43 and byf 44. All of my K98's are snipers and have better than excellent bores.

This ammo is better than every other surplus ammo that I've tried as well as any other commercial ammo with the exception of Sellier & Bellot and that's only because I have not tried it yet.

I'll be getting a G43 next week with an excellent bore and I'll let folks know how it shoots compared to other ammo types after I get a chance to shoot it.

70s Yugo groups about 4"-5" at 100 yds and strings a little horizontally from my favorite 24/47. M75 shoots 3" and does not string. For open sights shooting probably not worth the money (But I bought 2 cases of M75 and I'm glad I did) We won't see ammo that good for that price again.

WOW, an old thread has come back to life.

I've grown to love the M75. I can consistantly cream tennis balls at 200 yards with my iron sighted FN49. Eight lined up, seven fly away.

I've yet to test on paper at any significant yardage with my mint, scoped M24/47.

Just too much fun with my FN.
    Trips to Burro Canyon too seldom for the yardage shots.
    Last edited by Mikej21; 12-16-2008 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Antibiotika View Post
    People are saying it's the same as the 70's yugo out there. And no, it's not worth it. My cutoff for surplus is about 25-30 cents. After that i'll pay the 50 cents a round for ppu and not have to wash the barrels out. Yes, I'm that lazy.
    Ah, i am still that lazy, but ppu is up to 65-70 cents a round and the differential still makes it better for me to buy surplus.

Still hoarding a few hundred Czech M75 from the last of it I got when it was the only 8mm available.
    Nice brass cases but Berdan primed so useless to save. No poly or lacquer to gum up the chamber.
    Some of the dirtiest powder ever!
    Never noticed anything remarkable about it other than it was grouping a bit lower than the 80's Yugo.
    Turned out the M75 was clocking 2330 vs Yugo at 2780.

Maybe 1" to 1 1/2 inches lower at 100 yds

Funny, the M75 seemed very expensive when this post started last year and now it is not much more than the good old regular Yugo 50's 8mm...
    Having tried both , given small price difference , today I would get the M75 rather than the 50's ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by panrobercik View Post
    Funny, the M75 seemed very expensive when this post started last year and now it is not much more than the good old regular Yugo 50's 8mm...
    Having tried both , given small price difference , today I would get the M75 rather than the 50's ammo.

the m75 is still expensive.

but now the 50s yugo is expensive too.

Good point, there are both expensive now where M75 has not gone up and the 50's doubled or so in price.
    When M75 hit the market it was advertised as "match grade" . Not having match 8mm barrel ,cant really argue this, but at the time it was not worth 3x the price of other 8mm.
    It is consistent enough to not to produce flyers, but I can do way better with adjusted charge Yugo 50's

I bought some of this last spring and shot it at 200 yds through a Yugo M48 that has an excellent barrel and it grouped 1.5 to 2 inches; Romanian 8mm grouped 2.5 - 3 inches through the same rifle. So it does seem to have a little bit of edge if the rifle is in excellent shape.

Quote Originally Posted by k98k792 View Post
    I'll let you guys know how it does in my M76.

How did it do?

here's my 50 yard group. I can't say I really put a lot of heart into those.Black ring in the middle of the target is 1 inch so the groups are around 1 inch. To compare, Yugo 50's printed 3 inch group with the same rifle.
    That's with scoped K98 , 1939 code 147
    Last edited by panrobercik; 06-21-2009 at 11:18 PM.

Good stuff. Not worth it to me, but good stuff from the box or two I've tried.

Personally I load cast lead for most of my guns. Just shot a Yugo 24/47 with a 1.5" group at 100 yards using a 170 gr cast bullet (gas check) and 32 gr of IMR 4895 this weekend.

If I can do that for around 18-20 cents per round after figuring gas check, primer, powder, bullet lube, and electricity to make them, why would I want to pay double to get corrosively primed non-reloadable sniper ammo?

Though I do miss the days of 5 cent a round turk ammo...

Just got some of this with an "nny 1992" headstamp. Has it been determined whether this is corrosive or not?
    Thanks.
    Always looking for interesting 7.62x25 Tokarev and 7.63 Mauser cartridges!!!
    Member: International Ammunition Assoc. (IAA), European Cartridge Research Assoc. (ECRA). Ask me about membership!

Excellent ammo, but def. corrosive. Same priming as the other Yugo 70s and 80s stuff.

Thanks.
    Always looking for interesting 7.62x25 Tokarev and 7.63 Mauser cartridges!!!
    Member: International Ammunition Assoc. (IAA), European Cartridge Research Assoc. (ECRA). Ask me about membership!

I have fired this ammo in my '41 byf RC Mauser and got sub 1moa groups, some holes touching each other. It is not cheap but what ammo today is? After I run out I will have to work up a handload that gets me the same or better. Varget ought to do a good job, I'll have to source a good projectiles... The trigger on this rifle is the original military trigger and sucks big time. I want to improve it, but I don't want to hog out the stock like I did for a Timney on my 1912 Steyr Chilean Mauser in .308.

Wow. Talk about digging up an old thread. Is this just because it became available at Wideners? about .62c/rd .after shipping and TN tax today.

well, 8mm (.318) match bullets are very expensive, some more per projectile than $ .62 ...

Quote Originally Posted by GS455 View Post
    Wow. Talk about digging up an old thread. Is this just because it became available at Wideners? about .62c/rd .after shipping and TN tax today.

I still have a couple crates of M75 ammo that I use only in my M76 rifles. Can't believe the prices now have nearly quadrupled in a few short years. I guess it is about the same as the PRVI commercial ammo in price and both are decent for the M76 rifles. I would have a hard time convincing myself to buy cases these days if and when they are available.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Blade View Post
    I still have a couple crates of M75 ammo that I use only in my M76 rifles. Can't believe the prices now have nearly quadrupled in a few short years. I guess it is about the same as the PRVI commercial ammo in price and both are decent for the M76 rifles. I would have a hard time convincing myself to buy cases these days if and when they are available.
    Agreed. I paid low forties cents per round. For berdan/corrosive? Shrug. That's as far as I'll go. I got about 1,600rds for a few years of M76 fun.

I bought some of this ammo from Widener's last year, I think it was under .50 a round. Along with Belgian FN, it is the most accurate stuff I've ever put through my K98.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Blade View Post
    BTW. PRVI Is better than 50% more if you can even find it (FMJ that is). They told me they were going to make TRUE 7.92x57 Mauser ammo a few years ago. Don't know if it was ever released. Their match stuff is near a buck a round.

Since we are digging up an old thread I'm going to dig up a good old days story. About 10 years ago I bought 3 cases of 70s Yugo for $90 a case. I have also shot M75 and I think the 70's stuff shoots as good or betterf