Default Brazilian VZ 24 7mm

Are these brazilian vz24's in 7mm rare/valuble? we just got a bunch in that we where going to tear apart for the actions. They have a bent bolt handle with the knurled bolt knob on the underside. They are all marked by CAI.Regards
    Polkey
    Last edited by POLKEY; 03-29-2009 at 11:52 AM.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes." - Thomas Jefferson, 1775.

They're much too rare and valuable to tear apart for the actions. I hate to see valuable antiques destroyed by bubba.

Well i am currently attending gunsmithing school and they where offering these vz 24's for us for custom guns. I noticed they had bent bolt handles that i had never seen on a vz 24 and they where marked on the CAI tag that they where 7mm. Our teacher told us the tag was wrong and that they where 8mm mauser. I will be sure to bring this up tomorow. It is allready to late for one rifle but hopefully i can convince everybody else not to cut em up. Regards
    Polkey
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes." - Thomas Jefferson, 1775.

John Wall is offline Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords

Hi Polkey,
    Most VZ.24's are indeed 8mm rifles, but not this one. This rifle, although marked "vz24" on its siderail, has been lightened and has the turned down bolt, a feature which no other vz.24 has. In fact, it's not really a vz24, nor is it rare, nor is it an antique. These rifles were made in the early 1930's for one of Brno's Chinese clients, who defaulted of a portion of the rifles. These unsold rifles were later sold to buyers in Brazil, and have been heavily used by Brazilian Military police for many years.

These rifles are not common, but they have been imported to the US off and on for about 20 years, and sold mostly by Springfield Sporters. The great majority of the earlier rifles are in very tough, worn out and heavily pitted condition. The reason you don't see many of them is that most are junk, with pits too deep to shoot. Hopefully, your Century rifles are better.
    Regards,
    John
    Last edited by John Wall; 03-29-2009 at 04:22 PM.

Well i convinced a few people not to butcher em and with me myself buying one perhaps 3-4 of the original 10 will not be "sporterized".

Quote Originally Posted by John Wall View Post
    Hi Polkey,
    Most VZ.24's are indeed 8mm rifles, but not this one. This rifle, although marked "vz24" on its siderail, has been lightened and has the turned down bolt, a feature which no other vz.24 has. In fact, it's not really a vz24, nor is it rare, nor is it an antique. These rifles were made in the early 1930's for one of Brno's Chinese clients, who defaulted of a portion of the rifles. These unsold rifles were later sold to buyers in Brazil, and have been heavily used by Brazilian Military police for many years.

These rifles are not common, but they have been imported to the US off and on for about 20 years, and sold mostly by Springfield Sporters. The great majority of the earlier rifles are in very tough, worn out and heavily pitted condition. The reason you don't see many of them is that most are junk, with pits too deep to shoot. Hopefully, your Century rifles are better.
    Regards,
    John
    Did the Chinese order these in 7x57, or were they rebarreled? I got one from Century (indirectly), and it's in fair-to-good shape, not bad for a South American Mauser. If they're totally crapped out, then salvaging the actions for sporters would be acceptable, but the one I got is too good for that, considering the rarity of VZ24's in 7mm.

I got one of these from Century a week ago and the exterior was in good shape with only minor rust on the metal and no deep pitting. There were no cracks in the stock. The bore was another story. It was badly rusted although I did get it cleaned out but it is deeply pitted. I measured the bore diameter across the lands at the muzzle and it's where it should be and the crown is not damaged. Headspace was good, too. I tried it out last Thursday at 50 yards with Federal Classic ammunition and it would not group. The spread exceeded 12" and one round went through the wood upright on a brand new target stand. As a piece of history it's fine but as a shooter I think it's a lost cause. I wish I could hire somone to make an exact matching barrel in 7mm so it could be restored but it wouldn't make sense in terms of dollars and cents. Here's a link to some photos of it: http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/21833343 For what it's worth. Carl

Probably would be cheaper to put on an 8mm vz24 barrel. Same exterior and ones with exc bores are fairly cheap. Century sold many of these as take offs marked only with a 3 digit serial and no import marks. Even sights look the same.

Default 7mm VZ24's

I had my local dealer order my two of these rifles last week also. Mine are in poor condition with possible missing parts. By anyways I know I got spare parts to throw a shooter together. Can't wait to get some trigger time in on one of these neat lil Mausers.

I have one that is an old import (no import stamps) and it is in fairly good condition. m/m bolt but correct type, Blue is maybe 70-80%, wood is good, lite pitting below wood not visable when rifle is assembled, no rust on surface. Bore has no rust or pitting, does not even look rough, quite smooth and sharp lands. It is the only one I have ever seen for sale until the recent imports. I would rate it as V.G. Got it in 1985 at a gun show, 105 bucks. serial is 7591. Wonder how many were made? From what John W. says I must have been very lucky!
    Last edited by lornedavis; 04-14-2009 at 02:58 PM.

I got one of the ones in 7 X 57 from SOG about a month ago. It is in good shape, but I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I got one from Springfield Sporters a number of years ( about 8 ) ago, and it was considerably better. About like lornedavis describes.

Just picked my two rifles up from the dealer today. He only charged me $120 for the two. Good bores with no bolts one had a busted stock. But with a price like that I know I can make one into a shooter and the other will most likely be my next sporter. All and all I'd say it's a good deal considering prices on everything else these days.

At $150 out the door for good 98 actions with worthless barrels and worthless stocks, they are an ok deal.

It is much like getting an 8mm VZ24 out the door at BIG5 for $74 in 2001.