Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9MM Helwan

I bought one of the "new" Helwan Brigadier pistols back in the early 90's for around $200. Must have been a commercial model as I don't think it had any Arabic or Egyptian writing. The locking block bent after less than 100 rounds.

I must have a decent pistol. "Interarms" import. Kinda rough but it shoots the Winchester White box 115's and my mild handloads very nicely. Guess I should count myself fortunate. It is one of the pistols I like to share with my (few) shooting friends as it is a fun and unique pistol.

Thinking back it too was in the $200 range though it was a pawnshop trade in. I like the pistol! More tha accurate enough for my needs and I really can't remember it ever malfunctioning.

Draybo : )
    If I really knew how much I thought I knew...I'd be a dadburn GENIUS!

Quote Originally Posted by Begemot View Post
    At least some of these made for export Helwans essentially self destruct due to bad metallurgy. Personally, I suspect almost all of them are bad. Certainly the problem is serious enough to make the risk of firing one not worth taking. Watch the locking block, all locking surfaces, and the area of the slide in the locking cut areas for deformation if you insist on taking this risk. The genuine Mil-Spec Helwans are fine, but those made for export aparently are not. Mine was clearly little used when I got it, seemed fine, but beat itself into uselessness after 50 rounds. I have no doubt that the gun was less than 50 rounds away from a catastrophic failure and severe personal injury to myself at that time. The steel is butter soft.
    This mirrors my experience with the Helwan Brigadier/Cadet (951 clones). The locking block deformed so much that the action wouldn't function after a couple of boxes of ammunition.

I have a interarms and it works great but my problem is both my mags have problems. Anyone know if the promags are any good? THere just arent any mags available besides those. If anyone have a review lmk.

Default My Dad gave me a Helwan

My Dad gave me my Helwan. It appears to be a Navy Arms Import. I has N.A. RDGFLD.NJ stamped on the body. It has a number on it, but it is below 2700. I have the Egyptian writing on it and I have the mysterious A.R.E. stamped on the left side of the slide, just below the words HELWAN CAL.9 m/m. On the other side of the slide I have some Egyptian writing followed by an engraving that looks like a 'v' an upside-down 'v' a 'v' something that looks like a backwards 7 and then a 0

I have fired this putting close to a hundred rounds through it with no problems. I'm not sure how much my Dad shot it. My Dad passed away a couple months after he gave it to me so I was really unable to get any more information on it.

I did purchase a couple of magazines online, They both kind of jammed up a little on me. Put the original one in and it worked fine. I figure I'll have to alter them a little bit to loosen them up so the round will not bind while being loaded.

I hope this thread is still being monitored...

"mysterious A.R.E."

Why is this mysterious? ARE stands for the Arab Republic of Egypt.
    Always looking for interesting 7.62x25 Tokarev and 7.63 Mauser cartridges!!!
    Member: International Ammunition Assoc. (IAA), European Cartridge Research Assoc. (ECRA). Ask me about membership!

my biggest problem is the mags both of mine suck. One the feed lips are messed so it doesnt feed right sometimes and the other wont stay together the bottom keeps coming off lol. If anyone know of aftermaket mags that work lmk

Your best bet is to find an original on one of the auction sites (with the finger extension base-plate). They seem to go for around $25.
    Be aware that even some of the later original mags seem to have the same problem. (when quality-control went south)
    TOM

Default Oh, my mistake...

Quote Originally Posted by jonny c. View Post
    "mysterious A.R.E."

Why is this mysterious? ARE stands for the Arab Republic of Egypt.
    I only said that because the posts I read basically said they've never seen one with A.R.E.

I have only used 9 mm Luger 115 gr rounds. I acidently got a box of 9mm Luger 124 gr rounds. Can I use these without damaging the gun?

Thanks,

Yup, 124 should still work fine.
    Always looking for interesting 7.62x25 Tokarev and 7.63 Mauser cartridges!!!
    Member: International Ammunition Assoc. (IAA), European Cartridge Research Assoc. (ECRA). Ask me about membership!

Default More info on my Helwan

So is there anyway to tell how old my gun is? I tried to contact Navy Arms in New Jersey, but they closed their doors in 2003(?) and sent their records to the ATF. Would they be able to help me? Anybody have any other ideas where to look for more info. I have it in my mind that it may be from the 60's but I don't know where that came from.

Thanks,

I found my magazines on http://www.natchezss.com/ they seem to be decent but I have had a little trouble like I said with them hanging up, but I've also not had the time to really look at it to see why it mis-fed. Seems like I paid like $35 for two including shipping.

I am considering picking up a danshway beretta 951 soon, nayone have any experience with one of those?

Quote Originally Posted by greyheadedguy View Post
    I found my magazines on http://www.natchezss.com/ they seem to be decent but I have had a little trouble like I said with them hanging up, but I've also not had the time to really look at it to see why it mis-fed. Seems like I paid like $35 for two including shipping.
    how did you find them? I searched helwan but didnt find anythign

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=844115
    http://www.ammoclip.com/H/helwan.htm
    http://www.gunaccessories.com/Magazi...wan/helwan.asp

Not originals, but may be better than what you have. Also, have you tried to re-tweak your mag's lips?

MidwayUSA is out of them. I just ordered three from Ammoclip_dot_com, along with a grip set (mine have crumbled).
    These magazines are shown as having a steel base plate and 'poly' follower.

Post How I found them...

Quote Originally Posted by grayparatrooper View Post
    how did you find them? I searched helwan but didnt find anythign
    I had go go back and see how I found them. What I remember was they had a brand application or something on the search. Here is what I bought;

MAG BER 951 9MM 8RD BL

I thought it was available, but now I can't find it. Sorry I couldn't help.
    Last edited by greyheadedguy; 09-06-2010 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Corrected what I wrote
    If you think gun control is the answer, look what happened in Australia when they banned all hand guns in 1996? NEW LINK! 8/3/2013
    Try here -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4tS0DGDf0I
    or here -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyS3CEIbpJo

English Warning "Our Gun Ban caused 40% jump in Gun Crime" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTyCD2n6HAQ

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Got my order - these guys at Ammoclip.com are FAST! I ordered on the 6th, they hit my CC on the 7th, the package was at the PO on the 10th! The grips are labeled as "not factory" but you wouldn't know it to see them. The mags look and feel good - haven't been to the range to test them yet.

let us know how the mag functions i need some new ones.

Which grips did you end up ordering. the Helwan ones or the Brigadier ones. Any body know if the Brigadier grips will fit the Helwan?

I have had some problems with my Pro-mag clips. I think it may be that these after market ones have a square block base that pushes the rounds up. My factory clips are both tapered and rounded. Could this be what is causing the mis-feeds/jams?

Please let us know how the clips worked out
    If you think gun control is the answer, look what happened in Australia when they banned all hand guns in 1996? NEW LINK! 8/3/2013

English Warning "Our Gun Ban caused 40% jump in Gun Crime" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTyCD2n6HAQ

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

The grips I ordered are the black "Helwan" type. The Brigadier grips look brown on the website.
    The magazines don't feel as flimsy as many after market types. The follower is a black polymer, with a rounded recess in the center for the bottom round to rest in. Base plate is steel, and is removable. Slides on and off. Covered in a thick preservative oil - no rust!

So Bigdog57, have you taken it out and tried the new mags? I'd like to know how they worked. I'm going out in a few weeks to give my mags another cycle through to see if I can figure out why they mis-fed/jammed on me.

Wow, I just bought one for $150 last 4 numbers 7029. It shoots great. I ran 100 rounds through it on the day I bought it. No problems yet. But I only have one clip. I would like to know where I can get some new grips for it? Anyone? Thanks.

Default Different markings vs. quality

I've done a little research on these from time to time but have never run across as much useful information as there is on this board. Some very knowledgeable and friendly folks on here and I want to thank you all for your input. Great first-hand observations/information. I do wish there was a database of sorts where those observations could be consolodated to look for consistency.

My 2 cents: I bought my Helwan used from a friend who had run a lot of ammo through it, though I don't know grain or ammo manufacturer he used, and it still shoots sweet, no jams . I've ran ~ 150 rounds thru had no problems with the gun. Even the original clip is still factory fit. I did purchase a couple of extra after-market clips when i stumbled across them at a pawn shop for ~ $20 to $25 each and they're cheapo.

I've noticed that there sure are quite a few different issues of the Helwan with different markings and it certainly seems to make a difference in quality. For comparison:
    On the left side, mine has the "INTERARMS ALEX VA." (with the 'Alex VA'. centered beneath 'Interarms') stamped thinly on the body near the end of the barrel. Above that, on the slide near the bottom and a bit to the left, "MADE IN EGYPT". On the slide near the top and to the right of that, "HELWAN CAL .9" followed by Arabic. Below that, still on the slide is "A.R.E." (I can't actually see the periods after the A & R, just after the E. There are no more markings on the left side.

On the right side, there is a serial number on the body above the trigger (1050124) with a matching serial number on the upper area of the slide near the end of the barrel. Immediately to the left of that (in fact, almost touching that serial number) are two lines of Arabic, one above the other with the lower of the two lines centered beneath the upper. The only other marking is a curving arrow in front of the slide release. The safety is OFF when it's depressed on the left side (I'm sure that's standard, just trying to give detail).
    I'm only posting this info in case it helps identify the higher quality issues from the junk. The blueing is still in fine condition and the grips show no sign of deterioration.

I hope this post adds something to the conversation, hoping it may help indicate which issues are better or worse.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12