Default .30-06 conversion to .308 Norma Mag

I have been eye balling a sporterized 1917 Enfeild .30-06 that is for sale near me, and I have always wanted a .308 Norma Mag with this action. Gun is in decent shape, who ever did the work did a good job so it is not all hacked up.

I was wondering I though I read somewhere that back in the day they would take old military .30-06 rifles and convert them to .308 Norma by enlarging the bolt face and re-chambering the stock barrel. Is this so? If so, I was thinking about going and getting this gun and having that done to it.

I already have a fully worked over 1917 Enfield in 7mm Mag, which is a amazing piece of craftsmanship by the way, but it has a heavy barrel, so my plan with this new gun would be to have something I could actually carry and go hunting for big game. Eventually make it as nice as my other 1917, just a lighter version.

Main question, can this be done, or would I be better off getting a new barrel. I want to try and keep it relatively cheap being that I am already in the process of building my custom Mauser, so I was thinking if i could re-use the old barrel, i could have a .308 NM to shoot, until I get a chance to rework the gun.

Yes, it can be done. The rechamber will clean up a 30-06 chamber but make sure the smith uses a reamer which matches the rifle chamber's neck. The spec for a 30-06 neck is .0027 inches larger than .308 Norma Mag. Tiny difference but it may make a simple ream job have a step in the neck.
    Last edited by Ordtech; 04-02-2009 at 05:04 PM. Reason: typo
    How many psi in a CUP?

That's what I was thinking, the smith I use has been working on military actions for the past 50 years, and has done many Mausers, Enfields, and others. He use to shoot competitively, and built target rifles for many years too, so I would think he knows what he is doing.

I asked him once about building a .300 Win Mag, and he said, what the hell you want one of those for, build a .308 Norma! It's been in my head ever since. :D

I never had the need for a magnum but if I did, I'd sure take the Norma over the Win just for the longer neck. I'm a cast bullet shooter and if I had a magnum, I expect I'd shoot it 80% of the time with reduced loads as I do in the standard calibers. If you get your 1917 and are interested, I'll swap you bolts for a P14 bolt, which will work without boltface or extractor alteration for the magnum cases. I have a P14 action that I want to use for a standard '06 headsize caliber. Good luck with your project!

Quote Originally Posted by AntietamGW View Post
    I never had the need for a magnum but if I did, I'd sure take the Norma over the Win just for the longer neck. I'm a cast bullet shooter and if I had a magnum, I expect I'd shoot it 80% of the time with reduced loads as I do in the standard calibers. If you get your 1917 and are interested, I'll swap you bolts for a P14 bolt, which will work without boltface or extractor alteration for the magnum cases. I have a P14 action that I want to use for a standard '06 headsize caliber. Good luck with your project!
    I'll keep that in mind. I want to build a .243-06 down the road, but not sure if I will use a P17 or not, most likely not as they are getting harder to find, and you can build a nice gun off of more available actions for less.