Default Help finding out caliber of a custom mauser.Found out thanks!

I recently purchased a mauser that is in the process of becoming a custom rifle and has been rebarreled and i have no idea what caliber it has been rebarreled to the closest thing that almost fits is a 270 Win.Anyway can someone suggest where i could send the barreled action so caliber could be determined? I don't have the stuff or the Knowledge to make a cast of the chamber I tried it once on another rifle with no luck.I would like to send it somewhere on the east coast as I'm located in Va.
    Any help Greatly Appreciated!

Thanks
    email [email protected]

TM
    Last edited by travlin-man; 11-10-2007 at 03:26 PM.

Probably have to make a chamber cast with ferro-safe or some such material. Then measure the chamber cast and bore diameter, comparing with a reloading book that shows cartridge dimensions.

I had a Brno action with a heavy target barrel installed that was in a "mystery" caliber. Did the above steps and still didn't find a match. Called a professional gunsmith with my dimensions. He eventually figured out the rifle was chambered for the wildcat cartridge 6mm/.284! I had him pull the barrel and set it back then rechamber for 6mm Remington. Made a beautiful shooting rifle.

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plain

Any competent gunsmith in your area should be able to cast the chamber and tell you pretty much what caliber it is.
    "I'd love to spit some Beech-Nut in that dude's eyes, and shoot him with my ol' .45 'cause a Country Boy can survive!" - Hank Williams, Jr.
    NRA Life Member http://www.nra.org
    Oklahoma State Cowboys ---- #1------ GO POKES!

If you want to do it yourself you need Cerrosafe, and a micrometer - no need for anything fancy. Then look up the specs of likely cartridge candidates.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...t=cerrosafe&s=
    I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

Thanks for the input but like i said in my post i want to find someone i can send it to that is equipped to do it.I don't have none of the stuff required to do it.Anyone have any suggestions on where to send it?

Thanks

TM

Default Chamber cast

Take some parafing, candle or bees wax, melt it and pour it into the chamber. But first put a patch on a cleaning rod and push it down the barrel to where you want the cast to stop. Let the wax cool and then push it out with the rod. riceone

Where in VA?
    There are local gunsmiths all over the state. Gander Mountain in Fredericksburg is a chain store with a gunsmith in the store.

I'm in Martinsville about 50 Miles south of roanoke.I found out the caliber though its 7mm mauser can't understand why someone would go to the trouble of rebarreling a G 33/40 action from 8mm to 7mm.

Thanks for all the help!

TM

Brand new 7mm barrels used to be available for $20 or less from Numrich and other parts dealers. It was a cheap answer to a bad Mauser barrel.

One of the best rounds ever developed. Perfect for deer.
    I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.