Thread: Finn gas mask bags

Default Finn gas mask bags

Hey all. A buddy from SRF and I went to the Knob Creek Spring shoot and came to a conclusion as we walked in the gate- we don't have any bags or backpacks to haul the loot we were going to buy around in!

At one of the first vendors my buddy digs in a bin and comes up with a nice little canvas bag. When I looked at it I saw immediately that it had the Finn castle property stamp on it. For $5 I knew it was a good deal and I told him it was Finn and to sell it to me if he ever got bored with it. It looked like this-

A few vendors later and there was literally a stack of about a dozen of them! This vendor wanted $10 a bag but I got all three for $25. I know, not a huge savings, but for the simple act of asking a question I saved $5. I saw the castle stamp and grabbed it. Then I saw an SA stamped one, so I grabbed that, too.

Then I saw one that had no stamp on it. It looked like this-

I decide to open it up and it had the SA stamp inside along with this stamp on it-

It also had this little manual in it which is why I was able to identify the bags as Finn gas mask bags. On the inside it shows drawings of a soldier donning the gas mask, etc.

Now I'm thinking that it's Civil Guard as the reindeer stamp looks familiar. Anybody out there that can shed some light on this? So it would appear that from one vendor I was able to score at least three variants of the Finn gas mask bag. And it worked admirably as a bag to hold all my loot in for the rest of the day. Unlike American gas mask bags which are totally useless for anything other than carrying gas masks, the Finn bags can actually be used as a bag to carry anything you want after the gas mask is discarded.......uh, I mean, lost or misplaced.

Regards,
    Eric

The first wto are post war 50's and 60's gas mask bags. The last one is a Kss bag made in the town of Oulu and is a wartime bag. The reindeer is a company logo. Note the leather attachments for closure. Its a straight army bag and not CG. The CG used a tin can type carrier and a different style mask.
    Last edited by Vic; 04-07-2009 at 06:35 PM.
    Owner/Administrator of Gunboards.com
    Mosin Nagant.net
    Michigan Historical Collectables

"Tulta munille!"

"Terror is not a new weapon. Throughout history it has been used by those who could not prevail, either by persuasion or example. But inevitably they fail, either because men are not afraid to die for a life worth living, or because the terrorists themselves came to realize that free men cannot be frightened by threats, and that aggression would meet its own response. And it is in the light of that history that every nation today should know, be he friend or foe, that the United States has both the will and the weapons to join free men in standing up to their responsibilities."
    John F. Kennedy

Thanks for the information, Vic. I knew the last bag was different and was very glad to snag it. I had someone approach me later on at the show and ask me where I got my bag from (it was slung over my shoulder and across my chest for the whole show). He must have known the castle stamp was Finn as well. I pointed him in the right direction and he was very appreciative as he dashed off to get some of his own booty from the show.

Regards,
    Eric

I picked up a couple with the castle from Numrich gun parts. $7.99, bag and gas mask, brand new. I ordered mine for the same reason, it's my man purse for gun shows. I don't know what I'll do with the gas mask though.
    Nice find on the wartime bag!!

These bags have been available all over in Finland for the last couple of years. For example local surplus shop sells them 5 euros/pcs - and that contains also M/61 gas mask and its equipment inside the bag. The empty bags have been lately available for about 2 - 3 euros/pcs. These are pretty useful - I got three, which I use for carrying removable optics, tools and other gear for my rifles.

Jarkko

I use mine for taking my Acer computer and papers to class. Then during hunting season it doubles as my game bag for doves. I just have to make sure to wash it.

Centerfire (board sponsor) has been offering masks and bags as a three pack for a while. Currently 24.99. One pictured in ad is SA marked.
    This post contains the Amish virus. Since the Amish have no electricity or computers, you are on the honor system. Please delete all your files. Thank you

Kinda OT: I had a dream last night of one of these bags. Weird. :D
    Dan

USMCsean is online now Super Moderator / Silver Bullet member/ Rocket Scientist

I have a Finnish loanded gas mask, either Belgian or French(I can't remember), on my face in my avatar. :D
    Semper Fi,
    Sean

Check out the newest forum on Gunboards! The Brass Exchange. Where reloaders can come and find the brass that they need. http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...Brass-Exchange

Please add your info for the Tikka 91/30 Survey at: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...=3975#post3975

We Marines believe that God gave America the greatest gift he could bestow to man while he lived on this earth-freedom. We also believe he gave us another gift nearly as precious-our soldiers, sailors, airmen, Coast Guardsmen, and Marines-to safeguard that gift and
    guarantee no force on this earth can every steal it away. It has been my distinct honor to have been with you here today. Rest assured our America, this experiment in democracy started over two centuries ago, will forever remain the "land of the free and home of the brave" so long as we never run out of tough young Americans who are willing to look beyond their own self-interest and comfortable lives, and go into the darkest and most dangerous places on earth to hunt down, and kill, those who would do us harm.
    Nov 13, 2010 Lt General John Kelly, USMC