Gunboards Forums banner

Finn gas mask bags

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  USMCsean 
#1 ·
Hey all. A buddy from SRF and I went to the Knob Creek Spring shoot and came to a conclusion as we walked in the gate- we don't have any bags or backpacks to haul the loot we were going to buy around in!

At one of the first vendors my buddy digs in a bin and comes up with a nice little canvas bag. When I looked at it I saw immediately that it had the Finn castle property stamp on it. For $5 I knew it was a good deal and I told him it was Finn and to sell it to me if he ever got bored with it. It looked like this-

A few vendors later and there was literally a stack of about a dozen of them! This vendor wanted $10 a bag but I got all three for $25. I know, not a huge savings, but for the simple act of asking a question I saved $5. I saw the castle stamp and grabbed it. Then I saw an SA stamped one, so I grabbed that, too.

Then I saw one that had no stamp on it. It looked like this-

I decide to open it up and it had the SA stamp inside along with this stamp on it-

It also had this little manual in it which is why I was able to identify the bags as Finn gas mask bags. On the inside it shows drawings of a soldier donning the gas mask, etc.

Now I'm thinking that it's Civil Guard as the reindeer stamp looks familiar. Anybody out there that can shed some light on this? So it would appear that from one vendor I was able to score at least three variants of the Finn gas mask bag. And it worked admirably as a bag to hold all my loot in for the rest of the day. Unlike American gas mask bags which are totally useless for anything other than carrying gas masks, the Finn bags can actually be used as a bag to carry anything you want after the gas mask is discarded.......uh, I mean, lost or misplaced.

Regards,
Eric

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
The first wto are post war 50's and 60's gas mask bags. The last one is a Kss bag made in the town of Oulu and is a wartime bag. The reindeer is a company logo. Note the leather attachments for closure. Its a straight army bag and not CG. The CG used a tin can type carrier and a different style mask.

#3 ·
Thanks for the information, Vic. I knew the last bag was different and was very glad to snag it. I had someone approach me later on at the show and ask me where I got my bag from (it was slung over my shoulder and across my chest for the whole show). He must have known the castle stamp was Finn as well. I pointed him in the right direction and he was very appreciative as he dashed off to get some of his own booty from the show.

Regards,
Eric

#5 ·
These bags have been available all over in Finland for the last couple of years. For example local surplus shop sells them 5 euros/pcs - and that contains also M/61 gas mask and its equipment inside the bag. The empty bags have been lately available for about 2 - 3 euros/pcs. These are pretty useful - I got three, which I use for carrying removable optics, tools and other gear for my rifles.

Jarkko

#7 ·
Centerfire (board sponsor) has been offering masks and bags as a three pack for a while. Currently 24.99. One pictured in ad is SA marked.

#9 ·
I have a Finnish loanded gas mask, either Belgian or French(I can't remember), on my face in my avatar. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.