Thread: Martini .22 conversion

Default Martini .22 conversion

Originally a Enfield made in 1885, it was converted to .22 for use by the British Miniture Shooting Society By the Clabrough & Johnstone Birmingham. It is missing the rear tang sight, buttplate screw, and has an incorrect front band. The originial lever was a long one and has been shortened and bent up like a pistol grip. It has fine checkering in place on the grip and forearm. The rear sight is from a 310 and the front a bead. Bore is mediocre at best, with 3" groups at 50 yards. I'm hoping for improvement with a liner. Where might I find a correct front band and buttplate screw? How hard are BSA #8 tangs to come by? Here are a few pics of the rifle. Thanks, moodyholler
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 014.jpg   015.jpg   016.jpg   018.jpg   020.jpg  

Under the big sky, in the shadow of the Sweetgrass Hills

What's wrong with the front band that's on it? Check Ebay.

I'll drop you an email about a BSA #8 I have.

Well you have checked that you do not wish to receive email in your profile so I can not send you an email and tell you about the BSA #8 I have for you..
    Last edited by DoubleD; 11-03-2007 at 10:30 PM. Reason: add more stuff
    Douglas

"And don't forget. That isn't your Martini you have. It belonged to others before you and will belong to others after you are gone. Look after it, and pass it on with pride. It deserves it." Malcolm Cobb, The Martini Henry Note-book
    To find things Martini go to: WWW.MartiniHenry.com

OK, DD I have fixed the email thing. Thanks for pointing that out. moodyholler

What is wrong with your front band? I suspect what you mean is that the bayonet bar has been shaved off it. If this is the case then don't worry, thats exactly what its meant to look like. I have 3 converted to .22 and they all have the shaved front band. Not much call for fixing bayonets against paper targets I suppose.
    I will shortly be taking posession of a Greener Queens Cup .22 martini, it is missing its rear peep sight. Does anyone have or know the whereabouts of a greener rear peep sight like this one http://www.rifleman.org.uk/W.W.Green...get_rifles.htm ?

Fred
    Last edited by fred2892; 11-04-2007 at 01:40 PM.

Fred,

Which one? 1st or 2nd model? The 1st model sights are quite hard to find, 2nd model isonly marginally easier. You could try classic gun company in the UK, could be Jim Hallam has a 2nd model sight, and maybe you're in luck and he has a 1st model...

Frewd, my front band is for a larger diameter barrel and lays over to one side. I am posting a picture. It may be too fuzzy to see. Rear band fits tight to diameter. Thanks, moodyholler
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 044.jpg  

Gert, going by the rifleman.org site this is the one I am after. Where is Jim Hallam based and do you have any contact details.

Moodyholler, I know exactly what you mean. My Greener conversion came with a rear band exactly as you describe. It was a rear band for a 577/450 barrel profile whereas the .22 has a .303 barrel profile. The band was squashed and pushed over to one side to enable it to grip the barrel. I didn't like it either and replaced it with one from an antique arms fair. Funny thing is, I have seen two other Greener conversions with the same squashed bands. Perhaps I should change mine back to keep in the spirit of things.

Fred.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails queens sight.jpg  

Fred,

Jim lives about 1 mile from the Bisley range in the UK... I know he has loads of stuff at his place, most of it stored. Not 100% sure, but he might be able to help.

My Bonehill conversion still has the bayonet lug but there are no holes to indicate that it was ever fitted with a rear aperture sight?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bonehill.jpg  

I have a rather nice Bonehill, at least it is nice now! The previous owner had the barrel smoothbored for .22 shot cartridges so relining it was a no-brainer. Had it blued as well because the original finish was but a memory.
    You may have a problem finding a liner long enough. Had to shorten my barrel by a couple of inches, but it still looks good.
    Last edited by John Sukey; 11-07-2007 at 01:30 PM.

Default New tec old tec.

Hi John. Over the years I have learnt that you are the proud possessor of many fine collectors items. When are you going to take the plunge and learn how to post pictures on forums? (Smile). When it comes to learning new tecky stuff I am as slow as a wet week but others managed to push and pull me in to the 21st centaury. I’d love to see a picture of your shortened Martini .22 conversion and believe it or not your “fence post” Martini.
    Just for the record mate I still can not e-mail you. Yes I have the address right but every reply I make to what you send me and new mail just come straight back unable to deliver.
    I get the feeling that I am being filtered out. Good job I am not over sensitive.

I mentioned here many years ago that I have a problem with my Bonehill conversion barrel. It is in very good condition but for the chamber. .22LR cases stick and are hard to eject and often have to be pried out with my penknife blade. Those in the know told me that this was not uncommon and most likely came about as a result of the original owner (s) giving it an almost exclusive diet of .22 shorts. A common practice in the U.K. back then. This in turn caused enough corrosion just ahead of the short case to make long cases stick when expanded into the chamber walls. Solutions suggested were. First try polishing the chamber and should that fail have the chamber only relined with a stainless steel insert.
    Made good sense to me at the time but I shelved the project and got on with something else. A few weeks ago I was talking to my very nice but over worked gunsmith, who agreed with the diagnosis and possible cure but appeared reluctant to take the job on as he felt he would have to first make a special jig or tool to remove the barrel.
    My question is. Is removing a Martini barrel so difficult or is it that this one is a new Bonehill barrel and not a relined Martini one?
    Barry

Barry,

I don't know what your gunsmith uses for pulling barrels but a standard flat receiver wrench on the action and a barrel bushing to fit the knoxs form is all that is needed.

My home made barrel vice uses round inserts. For the Martini I drilled a hole through the center of the insert blank the diameter of the barrel. Then I split the insert by sawing it in half length wise. Then using my dremel tool (I don't have a mill) I ground out the section for the Knox form.

The barrel in the bushing slides in the vise.

Add the wrench and turn the action off. Tap the end of the wrench handle with a ball peen hammer to loosen the action.

With Martini's I pull the extractor and leave the trigger guard and breech block in. It helps stop torque and crushing of the action when being remove.
    Last edited by DoubleD; 11-09-2007 at 09:40 PM. Reason: spulink, speelung--letters were in wrong order or missing
    Douglas

"And don't forget. That isn't your Martini you have. It belonged to others before you and will belong to others after you are gone. Look after it, and pass it on with pride. It deserves it." Malcolm Cobb, The Martini Henry Note-book

I hope you removed the extractor first! Otherwise there would be CRUNCHING NOISES LOL
    Anyhow removing a martini barrel is no big deal, and actualy needs less force than removing bolt action rifle barrels,.

Thanks Douglas.
    Hope to see him on Sunday for the Antique Arms Assoc Christmas dinner. I'll pass your gen on.
    John I have just tried again. The address in my outlook express address book is identicle.
    It is Saturday night 8.20 the 10th of November here. Let me know if you get anything. Incomming is fine.

Barry

I know, I know. John you need to notify Comcast and tell them to put Barry's email address on the white list. Comcast and Verizon are real bad about blocking any foreign origination Email.
    Douglas

I recieved his last two emails. Just one of those wierd things that happen with kumpewters.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
    With Martini's I pull the extractor and leave the trigger guard and breech block in. It helps stop torque and crushing of the action when being remove.
    See quote above...emphasis added
    Douglas