Thread: Strange short K98 Mauser

Default Strange short K98 Mauser

OK, I've been posting this around lately and no one seems to know what the deal it with it. But someone suggested posting it here as this board is credited with having the largest number of experts.

I bought this old Mauser twenty or so years ago from an estate sale where there was a lot of other WW2 memorabilia. I won't go into the alleged back story behind the rifle right now other than to say that the family claimed that it was one of the many things that their father had brought back from the war in Europe, but at the time, I thought that it was a typical bring-back. It was only later when I acquired other Mausers that I noticed that something was weird about this one--it's 4" shorter than any of the others.

Every other Mauser that I have has a 23" barrel. This one is 19". It's properly crowned at the muzzle (not just something that someone hacked off) and the serial number on the barrel matches, as does every other piece on the rifle, including both the stock and the short handguard.

I recently got curious enough to check into this and figured that someone somewhere would know why this rifle was short. It seems to be puzzling everyone that I've asked thus far. So I'll pose the question here...what do I have here? Any thoughts are appreciated. Here are a few pictures of it posed below a "normal" K98k.

This is not an import-stamped faux tanker...it's all matching 1939-dated, right down to the capture screws, trigger, bands, etc. So why is it short?

Default stock

Post more pics. Is the stock duffle cut under the sling band ?

Wisconsin, the land of cow $hit and beer farts.

include a photo of the receiver ring if you will.

see how the front h band doesn't line up over the bayo lug?
    Wisconsin, land of cow $hit and beer farts.

Somebody lopped off a couple inches of standard profile 98k barrel and cut the stock back (not very well) to somewhat match. The steps on the barrel are in the normal places which makes the part of the handguard between the band and the barrel very thin. The stock was not shortened enough as the bayonet lug is too close to the muzzle. Too bad they did it to a matching rifle. JL

The stock is not cut under the sling band. And what angle would you like to see on the receiver ring?

I have one that has been similarly cut. They just mounted the front sight base against the first step in the barrel. Mine, though, is in a sportered stock. I'd rather have a stock like yours. A 'quasi G33', I suppose, you could say.

Default Not German

The Germans did not modify this rifle. It was probably done by the vet who brought it back, or I should say a gunsmith did the work for him. He was probably aware of the G33-40 when he had this work done.
    Last edited by anttom; 04-12-2009 at 11:18 AM.

yeah, chopped and channeled with a not very smooth job on the bands.

Default Ends Don't Meet

Looks to me like they cut the barrel short and the stock long?. I would have re-barreled the rifle and left the stock alone. It could have been duffle cut to begin with you never know and the owner wanted one to shoot from either window of a truck or SUV. Sunfish

Default mauser

I like it!! would be a great scout rifle.

Well if it wasn't the Germans who did this, would it be a blasphemy or would it hurt the rifle's value if I hunted up a proper-length barrel and stock set for it?

And is it unusual or wrong to try to find a blank barrel and reproduce the markings from the current one? Not looking to make it into something that it never was, but I would like to return it to it's original condition if possible. is that considered a collector fraud, or is it more like replacing and repainting a dented fender on a historic car?

The barrel is replaceable, but the markings are toast.
    I can refer you to a restoration expert who can "skin" the section of the barrel that has markings and install the removed section on a replacement barrel for around $250, not including the barrel or shipping.
    He can also repair the bobbed stock but you may have to supply a donor stock and handguard.
    PM me if you are serious about having it restored..and I will give you his contact info.
    Just kickin it, slurping on a Brawndo and tuning up the Killdozer...

Default At This Point

I would leave it alone as an example of a sporterized K98k. You really are going to have a mixmaster with a new barrel and stock.

If the old barrel is cored out behind the sight rear sight base and that "sleeve" is pressed onto a replacement barrel that's been turned down to a smaller diameter behind the rear sight base to accept the "sleeve" containing the serial number and maker marks, it will be hard to detect the alteration.
    Repairing the "duffle cut", as long as the original serial number inside the barrel channel is preserved is a legit restoration move as well, I've had it done myself with stocks that were missing the nose section.
    At least he still has the matching number bands and bayo lug..I think I would restore it without a second thought myself..
    The only mismatched part would be the handguard and there is a chance IT could be nose grafted as well to preserve the serial number.
    If he can get it restored for $400/$500, it's a no brainer..

well. hummm. decisions decisions...yea a regular slice and dice.
    one way is the total resto. if you want to keep it as is, here are the issues i see.
    the problem i really see is the guy who chopped it kept a regular length barrel band spring.
    then oops-ed the bayo lug. you can get replacement band springs.
    the 'easy' way...LOL.
    mark the forward 'H' band.
    mark the stock where the bayo lug will true up to the 'H' band.
    inlet the stock for the bayo lug to match the 'H' band.
    get a repo spring and file the back (rear) end to fit the shorter configuration.
    secondary issues.
    poor stock cuts. the h band will cover the chop I see in the spring channel, but your handguard to stock fit and fair sucks.
    and most importantly, Still wont fit a standard bayo.
    neat conversation piece. NEVER back to original. IMHO just another bubba, this time in military configuration. sorry, don't mean to be harsh.
    P.S. i do like it tho. if the crown was done right its cool. wear sunglasses for the muzzle flame tho.
    PISDETS VSEMU

The nose metal seems to me to be intact, only the stock and handguard are cut off (along with the barrel of course).
    The stock can be repaired no problem but of course the seam will show.
    The handguard may be a loss, but still if it's an all matched rifle it's worth the effort to restore.

To tell the truth, I've had a hankering to do the same to a stock for mine, but I can't bring myself to hack up an original stock.

Dude, finding a bubba stock is not nearly the hardest thing in the world to pull off..
    I got one sitting here right now I would part with.

Default Short Mauser K98

I am no expert in guns at all, but I think the short version of the K98 was made for the german Navy. At least it cannot hurt to look into that.

Default Similar gun

I bought a 98a Erfurt with a G33/40 bolt and G33/40 stock with a totally shot out barrel. I had my smith shorten a VZ24 barrel and re apply sights. It is a neat compact weapon and it shoots Solman!!!! Looks just like a G33/40.Foxman

I would leave it as it is, it looks pretty cool and will never be correct anyway. I wouldnt waste the money because you will basicly have the same rifle when finished. Just my thoughts.

i love it... i want one....the only thing i would do is make that H band and bayo lug fit more correctly.
    i think it's cool as hell...
    Pete O.

Quote Originally Posted by History View Post
    I would leave it as it is, it looks pretty cool and will never be correct anyway. I wouldnt waste the money because you will basicly have the same rifle when finished. Just my thoughts.

+1

looks like a nice short handy rifle.

Default My own short Mauser story

Howdy all.
    I think that this 98k has been shortened after arriving in the states and not done very well at that. I would leave it like it is but, tweak the conversion to make it look better.
    I am in the process of finishing a "Replica" VZ33 which is the predecessor to the G33/40. I bought a complete stock with bands, buttplate etc. at a gunshow in Witchita Falls Tx along time ago. (1994-95) I used a 1917 dated Erfurt KAR98AZ small ring action that "Bubba" got ahold of. (long story) Anyway, I installed a .308 Barrel and I now have to install the sights and finish the metal. It shoots great, even with the sights just held tight with their set screws. I will parkerize it because it is not a collector grade Mauser and I am set up to do that here at the house. (a penny saved is a penny I can spend on more gun parts)
    I have rambled enough. Be well, one and all. Al
    Last edited by Gijeaux; 09-11-2009 at 01:45 PM. Reason: typo

Hey Dan Dare or gunadvocate............you already know the answer seeing as though you posted it in your narrative for the auction of this rifle on gunbroker. You said the owner told you that he shortened the rifle by 3 to 4 inches so he could go hunting with the rifle so why post the question?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=139638662

Why the heck would anyone want to shorten a gun already classified as a carbine already for hunting?

Lol. The mods can free up some space with this.

I wish I knew the ser# to this abomination,so I could AVOID what other posters are advocating he do to it in the future.I'd hate to buy this for 1k+ down the road,in a condition"that would be hard to detect the alteration" and get burnt. Slippery slopes gentleman,slippery slopes....

Good catch tazaroo. Now I can't figure out what the post was put here for in the first place. Al

p.s. I finished up the barrel work on my pseudo VZ33 yesterday. Came out great. Solder the sights and "PARK'....all done.
    Last edited by Gijeaux; 09-13-2009 at 08:48 AM. Reason: added p.s.

Default k98 mauser

looks funny

The OP was in April, the auction in September..... perhaps the OP found out more info, perhaps even from the family of the vet, which he included in the auction. Perhaps he will see this thread brought back to life and comment, but I don't think he has done anything wrong, except to post enough pictures and info so that none here will ever get bamboozled by a so called turd fabricated from this rifle.

I must admit it did make me glance at Mitchells' tanker mauser page, just for fun.

In the UK many years ago..at least twenty-five...I recall quite a few Colombian Mauser carbines in 30-06 with similar short barrels. Nobody wanted them then either! Too much muzzle blast and in UK 30-06 wasn't too easy to come buy as cheap surplus ammo.

What is this muzzle blast thing?

I'd just move the bayo lug back to match up with the upper band. Then I'd use it as a fun shooter. Might even be fun to put a .308 barrel on it - less recoil and muzzle blast.

If you "restore" it and it gets out on the market later, it's just one more turd that the slickers will try to sell.

Want to sell the sling??

I bought it and will not be restoring it. I like it like it is. I may move the bayonet lug back a little to make it look better. Anyway no worry's about it getting restored and put back on the market.
    Last edited by ratfink; 11-11-2009 at 06:26 PM.

If the band spring that is on the rifle is shorter than normal, a correct spring might move the upper band back to the proper relationship with the bayo lug. It's worth a try - test one from another rifle and see.