Default New Valmet M71....These are SWEET!

Here is a sexy new girl for the stable....a Valmet M71S wood stock in 5.56....

A buddy of mine had it kicking around on his table for a few shows, and i was fondling it a bit at the last one in between the crazed buying. I am actually very surprised it didn't go, but in WNY, money is always a bit depressed compared to the rest of the country...

Anyway, I paid $1200...it came with the original 1 rivet 30 round Valmet mag, 1 40 rnd MCP mag, 2 35 rnd Galil mags (converted), and two plastic pro-mag waffles, and the original green leather Valmet sling. Not a steal, but not bad either, according to my research, and considering I have never seen a live Valmet in these parts, I figured why not?

I did detail strip it (well, not the FCG...). It took some research to figure it out, but it is REALLY well made. I like the way the gas tube attaches as opposed to the normal AK design. I took that out, dismantled the rear sight, cleaned it well, and re-whited in the numbers.

It took a little bit to figure out how to remove the handguards, but I figured it out. Nice tight secure system with that nut.

I love the wood stock, beautiful walnut. The buttplate had a lot of goo in the grooves, and the white spacer was discolored, looks to me like someone had wiped on some BLO and got it all over the buttplate....so I removed it, soaked it in Goo Gone, and used a dull exacto blade to clean the grooves, then some 0000 steel wool to clean the rest with the goo gone....came out beautiful.

Its a beautifully made rifle, and the action is very slick compared to all my other AK's. All in all I think its a gorgeous piece of craftsmanship!

I have one of the Galil mags in it for the pics.....

that is a very nice looking rifle.

please do a search and read up on using converted galil mags in the valmet before you do it.

Quote Originally Posted by capt ron View Post
    that is a very nice looking rifle.

please do a search and read up on using converted galil mags in the valmet before you do it.

Thanks, I did read up on the Galil mags....the problem with them from what I understand is they seat nose down a bit, so the feed angle is too low, and when the rifle chambers a round, it tends to bounce off the lower edge of the breech, sometimes pushing the bullet into the case, and then resulting in extra high pressures which could cause a kaboom.

These two mags were modified by welding a small piece of stock to the bottom of the front latch lug...thus when seated it should feed at the correct angle...but I will play with them a bit before I would use one of them...for shooting I will probably just stick with the Valmet mag and the MPC mag, which I guess work great....

Quote Originally Posted by pzjgr View Post
    Thanks, I did read up on the Galil mags....the problem with them from what I understand is they seat nose down a bit, so the feed angle is too low, and when the rifle chambers a round, it tends to bounce off the lower edge of the breech, sometimes pushing the bullet into the case, and then resulting in extra high pressures which could cause a kaboom.

These two mags were modified by welding a small piece of stock to the bottom of the front latch lug...thus when seated it should feed at the correct angle...but I will play with them a bit before I would use one of them...for shooting I will probably just stick with the Valmet mag and the MPC mag, which I guess work great....
    good enough. just wanted to give you a heads up on them. have fun with it.

Nice, I have always wanted a Finn AK, they are so pricey though, thats a decent price you paid and a nice looking rifle. Hopefully someday I will pick one up myself!

I have a like new in the box Valmet Hunter in .223 I got in the late 80's. Really deep royal blue finish and pretty walnut stock. They list for $1700 on gun auctions,

You got a great price on the M71.
    Last edited by rogertc2; 04-14-2009 at 06:13 AM.
    Addicted to guns and want them all before I die.

Quote Originally Posted by rogertc2 View Post
    I have a like new in the box Valmet Hunter in .223 I got in the late 80's. Really deep royal blue finish and pretty walnut stock. They list for $1700 on gun auctions,

You got a great price on the M71.
    I posted a picture of a Valmet HUNTER on another website just to embarass the antis who freak out over mindless details like a pistol grip, folding buttstock, bayonet lug and a flash hider. They couldn't believe what the Finns had done to a once scary AK-47 assault rifle...

Nice rifle-my first "AK" back in the 70's was a Valmet M71 with plastic stock. Loved it. The only downside was that HUGELY wide front sight. BTW In May of 2000 I was in the Bekaa Valley in Lebanon near Ba'albek and I was very surprised to see a para-military cop (dunno if he was Hezbollah or Syrian) carrying a Valmet M-62 with wooden stock and black plastic handguard.
    "It's the end of the World as we Know it...and I feel fine!":eek:

I have a Valmet M76 in .223. Most accurate AK I have ever fired. You will love yours.
    "Would you die in your sleep like an ailing pet?" - Serenity

Quote Originally Posted by anarchy View Post
    Nice rifle-my first "AK" back in the 70's was a Valmet M71 with plastic stock. Loved it. The only downside was that HUGELY wide front sight. BTW In May of 2000 I was in the Bekaa Valley in Lebanon near Ba'albek and I was very surprised to see a para-military cop (dunno if he was Hezbollah or Syrian) carrying a Valmet M-62 with wooden stock and black plastic handguard.
    Snipers were using the tack driving Valmet AK-47s in the Balkans too. I can remember once incident, where a reporter got a good look ast the shooter's rifle. No question about who made it either because it was well marked...

Valmet Mags

I believe that Bulgarian (Circle 10 marked) 5.56 mags will work in your rifle. Try K-Var or DSA Inc. for these.

I had a good friend who had one very similar to yours. For reasons known only to him and the good Lord he traded it even for a mini-14. It is not as bad as it sounds as this was right before all the 89 ban crap but even then.....anyway it was a sweet rifle. Best shooting AK I have shot bar none.

I had a M71 back in the 70's. Make sure you have at least one firing pin. I broke one back then and if I remember, getting another was a bit of an ordeal. May not be now.
    Passed on a M62 years ago because 7.62x39 ammo was very rare. A very cool rifle with a tubular stock and first generation plastic. Would have been a great investment.