pcanhot is offline Empress of the Underworld and Diamond Bullet Member

Default Feeding Issues with the Ruger LCP

I purchased a Ruger LCP a while back for a CCW. I put about 300 rounds through it with no problems, but with the last 200 rounds there have been feeding issues.

The round doesn't feed right causing it to get jammed when the slide runs home. And quite a few times I have found that even when the round is chambered correctly the slide isn't going all the way home. With a tap on the back this fixes it.

I know the LCP is a very common CCW, has anyone else came across this? If so any remedies?

godsey5 Guest

I do not have a LCP but I do have a Kel-tec Pta3. Field strip and clean the chamber really well with a brush. A little build up in the chamber can cause failure to go into battery. Lightly polish the feed ramp and a little molly grease on the rails. My LCP is not very fond Blazer aluminum cased ammo. It is the hardball fmj type profile. Polishing the feed ramp helped quite a bit. It does feed my reloads with the Hornady Truncated cone like XTP's without a hitch. Very good accuracy as well.
    Is the ammo your shooting the same as you have been using before? I would say try different flavors of ammo but that is easier said than done. If you have another mag try it. A lot of my failure to feeds on other guns have been mag related. A recoil spring is another possibility but it should not be the case after only 500 rounds.

JIm

My first Kel_tec PT3AT had a few issues feeding certain hollowpoints. I took a pencil with a full rubber eraser, a small piece of cloth, and some Flitz metal polish. A few minutes with the cloth wrapped over the eraser using the Flitz took care of the problem rubbing rather like you are erasing a pencil mark on the feed ramp. Go very slowly, and put the pistol back together and test it every so often so that you go just far enough.

I had trouble with mine not wanting to feed, but I figured out it was the Magtec ammo. I wasted money on two boxes of that stuff because it was the only thing the shop had when I bought the gun. It would jam every two to four rounds. It will start to have a round or two jam while shooting, but it only does it after it gets real dirty. It shoots flawlessly until about 100 rounds, thats when it will start to act up.
    Last edited by shootingmonkey; 05-04-2009 at 09:04 PM.
    looking for swedish mauser cleaning rod with the number 426

THANKS VETS!

Clean the gun and try some different ammo. My LCP has been flawless as far as feeding and shooting damn near anything I put in it.

That said, Ruger is having some problems with newer magazines, and they have trouble feeding rounds properly. The problem is with the follower getting hung up on the mag release. A few minutes of filing on the follower will solve the problem, but make sure that's it. Lots of info on this at the Elsie Pea forum.

Ruger is also extremely good about repairs. These guns are extremely reliable, and if yours is not I would send it back for repair.

right in the middle of Gods little waiting room

Mine jams with hollow points but I went to buffalo bore cast bullets and they work fine.
    Oldgoat46
    " In Biblical times Samson slew 40,000 Philistines with the jawbone of an ass. Everyday an equal number of sales are killed by the use of the same weapon."

I've tried it with Powr Ball ammo which is what I carry in it and it seems to eat it just fine. I guess thats really all that matters. I recently got some Privi Partisan, I just haven't got a chance to shoot it yet.

THANKS VETS!

Ol Duke is offline Super Moderator Platinum Member Zombie Killer

My Miss Elsie Pea likes Remington Express 95 gr. ball ammo....I've had no feeding problems with mine, especially since I polished the feed ramp with my Dremel tool just as soon as I bought it. I agree with the statement about keeping the chamber very, very clean. Give it a good brushing with a chamber brush to make sure no residue is causing your problem.
    Last edited by Ol Duke; 07-16-2009 at 09:18 AM.
    Thanks,
    Ol'Duke

"I would like to take you seriously, but to do so would be an affront to your intelligence."
    George Bernard Shaw

Mihi ignosce. Cum homine de cane debeo congredi.
    (Excuse me. I need to see a man about a dog.)

I'll try it but I'm pretty methodic about cleaning them after every outing.

THANKS VETS!

Before you work on it: If it does this with factory ammo, call Ruger. They don't want to hear about handloads, only factory ammo.

They'll probably want to take a look at it.