Gunboards Forums banner

M1917 sniper?

17K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  twh 
#1 ·
Hello all,I am new here.I was wondering,was there a sniper model of the M1917 Enfield?Is it even possible to put a scope on one?

#2 · (Edited)
M1917 Sniper?

Hello Chainsaw. I know that there were sniper versions of the M1914 Enfield but I have never heard of an M1917 sniper. I could be wrong though. The US used the Springfield for sniping purposes (until the Garand came along). I have seen these rifles with scopes but most were drilled and tapped. There might be a non-gunsmithing mount out there. Hope this helps.

#10 ·
#9 ·
U.S. Telescopis Sight Rifle Model of 1918

Was essentially an M1917 with a dehorned receiver (no iron sights) and a fill pistol grip GG stock, no handguard and sling swivels. It mounted the 2.7x Telescopic Musket Sight Model of 1918.

Ordnance intended to procure 50,000 of the rifles and in fact placed an order Winchester and Eastman Kodak for the Scopes. At the declartion of the armistice the contracts were cancelled sone of the Model of 1918 Rifles or scopes having been delivered.

A shame in many respects as the basic rifle was about 50 years ahead of its time. The Model of 1918 scope was another matter. Optical instruments were never Winchester's stong point and they got out of the business in the mid 20's.

Most references only have drawings of the M1918 Sniper. Apparently not even the prototypes survived.

Regards,

Jim

#11 ·
If I recall right, there was going to be an M1918 sniper rifle based on M1917 rifle (possibly only on Winchester receivers since there was not complete parts interchangeability between Remington, Eddystone or Winchester 1917s (or P14s for that matter). It was going to use a Winchester scope (A5 sticks in my mind). But the war ended and the effort ended. The Warner and Swazey Model 1913s (and earlier M1908s) had some problems. I believe testing indicated the Winchester scopes prepared for use on the M1918s were not very durable as well.

Britain DID standardize on Winchester P14s for their sniper rifles and they were the standard at the beginning of WWII prior to the adoption of sniper variants of the #4 Enfields (in 1942 I think but I could be wrong.) I don't remember what scopes were used on those.

Am not sure how many of each were built: probably not many US M1918s (experimental only) but probably couple thousand at least of the British P14 type snipers. Am not sure if the Brit sniper rifle was "born" in time for service in World War I or not.

#12 ·
US Model of 1918

attached is a drawing of the proposed US M1918 Sniper.

The Scope also known as the Model 1918 was a modification of a Winchester commercial design. Eastman Kodak received an order for 42,607 lens sets as a subcontractor to Winchester. The external w&e adjustment knobs were large an heavy and tended to break off after a couple of hundred rounds (in postwar testing).

The British used the Periscopic Prism Co. M1918 Scope on it's Pattern 14 Mk1* (W) T sniper.

About 2000~ scopes were produced by PP and 79 By BSA (for the Irish Free State in the 1930's).

Another P14 (or more correctly Rifle No. 3 Mk1 T A) Variant was produced using an Aldis Scope mounted on a dehorned receiver in an Alex Martin Mount in 1940. This variant also had a cheek piece similar to that used by the No. 4 sniper.

Regards,

Jim

The Picture is from the June 1965 American Rifleman "U.S. Sniping Rifles" by M.D. Waite

#13 ·
Look under BSA 1917 SNIPER rifle

I've seen 2 for sale in my state, AZ., 1 for 275 1 for 300. They are both listed as 'sniper' rifles. One has the stocok cut like sporterized the other is a full stock neither of them had rear sights of any kind there was a front sight on one of them. They both have a series of numbers on the right side of the band:
GR S ht L.E. III
One of these could be the proof for the sniper rifle
I KNOW NOTHING FOR SURE It's all just war time precision rifle research

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.