Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Centerfire System's Finnish Suomi M31???

These are due to hit the market this week (http://www.centerfiresystems.com/). Anyone getting one? Has anyone had an opportunity to preview the semi-automatic version of this classic WWII smg? If so, how did it function? What about accuracy?

Inquiring minds want to know as I am seriously considering buying one.

Tim

+1. I dont want to be the guinea pig...

I saw one at Knob Creek, but don't know if it's the same that Centerfire will be selling. I'd like one, but I'm a bit of a purist and would like to have one with the original length barrel (would have to SBR it). The Suomi semi-auto at the Creek had what looked like a fake barrel extension welded to the existing barrel shroud (not my cup of tea).

Pennsylvania where Johnny Reb got new shoes !

Default Suomi

Called Centerfire today. They said they will be in end of week. Took a leap of faith and ordered one. Let's see if they deliver...............

It seems funny how the price blocks the muzzle end of the barrel so you can't see it.
    USS Leahy CG-16 83-86
    4th FSSG NAS JAX 86-90

Quote Originally Posted by ofd291 View Post
    It seems funny how the price blocks the muzzle end of the barrel so you can't see it.
    Ha, ha, ha, yes, that did not escape my notice . As Franz 1796 points out, it is a shame the barrel had to be extended the way it was. The company's reasoning, which I guess I agree with, is that they wanted a legal-anwhere version right out of the box without people having to deal with the SBR issue and pay the associated fees. What I am hoping though is that the kit is built in such a way that the original length barrel could be swapped in after obtaining the SBR license. At it's current sales price I would not be bent out of shape having to pay an extra $200 to have a Suomi that (for the most part) looks like the original.

Tim

Saw the ad, then remembered the PPSh-41 semis. I think I'll wait for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Regis Rex View Post
    Saw the ad, then remembered the PPSh-41 semis. I think I'll wait for a while.
    There certainly is something to be said for taking a wait-n-see approach. However, these semi-auto versions are not manufactured by Wise Lite the same way all the semi-autos were being sold by MGS in TX. As I understand these builds are being done by Tennessee Guns, thus, I am cautiously optimistic that what they sell through Centerfire Systems will not be a "bug"-riddled manufacture POS like some of the other semi-auto conversions to hit the market.

Tim

I saw the sample at the Creek, other than the barrel length the gun looks like the original, not like the picture in the ad for Centerfire, and that might be the reason they are covering it up as it might not be representative. I have seen the Centerfire picture before they "edited" it and the barrel shroud is extended an extra section like the wise-lite arms PPSH shroud. The K31 from Tennessee Guns that I saw had the standard shroud with the cone-style muzzle brake then the barrel extended beyond that by 1.5-2". Not necessarily my ideal configuration but I want one anyway.
    Veritas vos liberabit

On top of the world, looking down on creation

Quote Originally Posted by selectfire View Post
    Not necessarily my ideal configuration but I want one anyway.
    They are now long enough that you won't burn yourself when you use them for cooking hotdogs on a compfire.

I know "we've gotta do it" but that length of barrell on a non SBR'd Suomi, PPSh, or even the Thompson looks all wrong to me. Looks cartoonish. I can't get around it. Wish I could, but I can't.
    Любишь сиськи много?_____________Nein Fräulein, das ist kein Leberwürst
    Да, мне нравится сиськи много. _____
    in der Tasche

Pennsylvania where Johnny Reb got new shoes !

Default get around

W/ the Suomi you have two options to "get around" the long barrel. One is stick w/ the 16" but add a Finn compensator,bored out to allow the longer barrel to stick out about 3/4 of an inch. Have done a mock up,does'nt look too bad. Option #2 is File a Form One w/ the BATmen ,write a check for $200 and then use barrel original size when you get the stamp.The best part of this option is you can use the original barrel takedown setup. Parts kits are still relatively cheap.Unsure exactly how they have it set up. Have to agree,the long barreled Thompsons,PPS,PPSh,etc do look "cartoonish" The Suomi not as much,the Finn model had a 12" barrel,w/ comp,close to the magic number.
    Called Centerfire about my order this morning. They said,not in yet,but any minute now ! Will post pics soon as it turns up. Hopefully before I leave civilization ;-)

If business weren't so bad I'd get one and go the route with the BATFE and make it the short barreled version. I have four parts kits I bought a couple of years ago for which I paid very little that have excellent barrels. I have both stick and drum magazines, too. Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Gustaf View Post
    If business weren't so bad I'd get one and go the route with the BATFE and make it the short barreled version. I have four parts kits I bought a couple of years ago for which I paid very little that have excellent barrels. I have both stick and drum magazines, too. Carl
    I would likely do the same, but, first I'd have to track down an original barrel. I'd hate to have to pay current prices on a whole kit just to get an original barrel. Maybe you'd be kind enough to sell one of your kits at its original low price ?

Tim

I've inquired about getting one as well and if successfull a full review will come up for your information.
    Owner/Administrator of Gunboards.com
    Mosin Nagant.net
    Michigan Historical Collectables

"Tulta munille!"

"Terror is not a new weapon. Throughout history it has been used by those who could not prevail, either by persuasion or example. But inevitably they fail, either because men are not afraid to die for a life worth living, or because the terrorists themselves came to realize that free men cannot be frightened by threats, and that aggression would meet its own response. And it is in the light of that history that every nation today should know, be he friend or foe, that the United States has both the will and the weapons to join free men in standing up to their responsibilities."
    John F. Kennedy

I hate to bring this up, but! to my thinking BIG Brother ATF wouldn't allow these to be sold as legal rifles if you could still turn the release lever and remove the shroud and barrel as it was built originally. They would require that the long barrel be permantly attached so as to not allow easy modification back to original length. To bad too because the Suomi had one of easiest replaceable barrels of any SMG every made. I read somewhere that in the winter war they would actually shoot the Suomi until the barrel was redhot then using a Finnish knife (forgot the name of it) they would pop out the hot barrel into the snow and slap in a cool barrel and keep on shooting without skipping a beat. Each barrel had a number stamped on it and as long as you kept the same numbered barrel in the rifle no resighting was required. Of coarse we all know that if shot with a 14" barrel your are much more dead than when shot with a 16" barrel. Stupid Rules...
    Loren

Any news on these? Anybody got one yet for a review?
    Locatian: BFE Montana.

formerly from the Land of the free-range Amish

Still not available. "any day now"

I ordered one on Monday and they told me two weeks.

Good news and bad news.

The good news is that we received a shipment yesterday.

The bad news is that we received 30, and we have about 500 back orders.

We're assuming we'll see a lot more of them soon, but we haven't received a firm date and quantity yet. They look great, though.

Thank you,

Centerfire Systems

Magnus

I just ordered one from Jayne this AM...wait and see. I have a Master Piece Arms 971 that uses the drum mags so I have a few already. Mine must be one of the 500 on BO now??? Darn. Hope I get one.
    Last edited by rogertc2; 05-15-2009 at 06:44 PM.
    Addicted to guns and want them all before I die.

Magnus, so how is the rifle configured to accommodate the legal-length barrel? Has the shroud been extended or is the barrel protruding?
    Veritas vos liberabit

Oh yeah! I just got the call from Magnus that my Suomi is ready to ship. As soon as I fork over the dough and a copy of my 01 ffl I'll have one of the "beasties" on its way to me :D.

Tim

Here She Is!!!!
    I picked mine up yesterday. Heres a few pics I took last night. I think they did a really great job on the build. I'd rate the finish a 7 out of ten. looks like some kind of parkerizing. Removing the bolt is easy. unscrew the plug at the rear of the reciever and everything comes out. Make sure you hold on to the plug. There are springs that will come flying out if your not careful. The fire control setup is pretty interesting. be careful when you remove it. There is a little bar on the right side of the trigger group that will fall out. It's a little tricky getting everything lined back up. THE BARREL COMES OFF! Very Cool!
    Oh, I call DIBS! on all the Suomi stuff I bid on this week. You last minute "snipers" need to hunt some other auctions

Quote Originally Posted by turfmn View Post
    Here She Is!!!!
    I picked mine up yesterday. Heres a few pics I took last night. I think they did a really great job on the build. I'd rate the finish a 7 out of ten. looks like some kind of parkerizing. Removing the bolt is easy. unscrew the plug at the rear of the reciever and everything comes out. Make sure you hold on to the plug. There are springs that will come flying out if your not careful. The fire control setup is pretty interesting. be careful when you remove it. There is a little bar on the right side of the trigger group that will fall out. It's a little tricky getting everything lined back up. THE BARREL COMES OFF! Very Cool!
    Oh, I call DIBS! on all the Suomi stuff I bid on this week. You last minute "snipers" need to hunt some other auctions
    turfmn,

Ah you lucky dog, you beat me to one! I agree, they do look awesome :D. I think I actually prefer that they just extended the barrel through the cowling instead of extending the cowling as well to cover the length of the barrel. It also is neat that the barrel comes off so easily although it does me no good here in NY since NYS law precludes me from obtaining an SBR license through NFA/BATFE as a civilian .

One thing I wonder is whether one can get the magazines (drum or stick) parkerized to match the finish on the Suomi? Any thoughts on this and who might be able to do it.

Regarding accessories, there I have you beat as I have been waiting so long for a Suomi to hit the market I have had all the accessories sitting in my "arsenal" room for over a year.

I'll start a new thread to show off some of the accessories so fellow board members will know what to start keeping an eye out for (if they are as fanatical as me about "needing" all the accessories).

Tim
    Last edited by tsellati; 05-21-2009 at 09:08 AM.

Tim, that would be cool. We should also come up with a set of assymbly instructions and include some pics showing how to take apart the drum mag. Maybe Vic can put something together in his review.

In digging back through some stock photos I have of the Suomi it struck me why I do not think the longer barrel looks too bad (though some purists might disagree). Here is the early original configuration of the M/31:

And here is the late version aka the "M/31 SJR" (Notice muzzle brake in end of barrel):

These new semi-auto versions have an extended barrel reminiscent of the M/31 SJR.

For those interested in reading more about the machine pistols used by the Finnish Army, here is an excellent article on the jaegerplatoon.net site (http://www.jaegerplatoon.net/MACHINEPISTOLS1.htm).

Tim
    Last edited by tsellati; 05-21-2009 at 09:42 AM.

Here She Is!!!!
    turfmn,

You must promise to give us a range report as soon as you have had an opportunity to take her out to the range.

In fact, heck, I would have done that even before taking pictures. You've got some serious will power dude .

Tim

Some Suomi M31's are prettier than others...

...especially when they rock 'n' roll....:D

It is one of the best submachineguns I've ever fired. Almost not recoil or muzzle rise, accurate out to 100 yds, hell....you could write your name with it.

I wish it was mine....
    "Nothing says "Obey me" like a bloody head on a fence post." -Stewie Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by ThePitbullofLove View Post
    Some Suomi M31's are prettier than others...

...especially when they rock 'n' roll....:D

It is one of the best submachineguns I've ever fired. Almost not recoil or muzzle rise, accurate out to 100 yds, hell....you could write your name with it.

I wish it was mine....
    Sweet!
    What has our country become? More takers than givers.

When are we going to get a range report?

Quote Originally Posted by John Crusher View Post
    When are we going to get a range report?
    I don't know, but, I am hoping turfmn is out spewing spent 9 mm cases into the sky! I think he is the first board member to have one in hand.

I sent payment out for mine yesterday, but, I am probably looking at a week and a half or so until I have my Suomi in hand.

Hopefully, Vic was able to finagle one out of TGI or CenterFire Systems to give it a "test drive" as well.

Tim
    Last edited by tsellati; 05-23-2009 at 02:31 PM.

I just picked my Suomi up yesterday. Of course it comes when I am out of town! AND my range is closed this weekend. Hopefully I will be able to shoot it Monday evening. I have quite a few mags(sticks and coffins) and drums. All fed and ejected snap caps but there is no substitute for the real thing. The trigger seems pretty nice. Range report to follow.
    Last edited by wizzegun; 05-24-2009 at 12:01 PM.

I'm happy with mine. I was shooting American Eagle 115 grain rounds. At 50 yards I had a consistent 6" group. Mine shot low and right around 4"x4". I forgot to bring my brass hammer and punch set so I couldn't move the front site. I had no problems what so ever with the stick mag and drum mag that came with the rifle. I also had no problems with the drum mag I bought from a local dealer a year ago. This is a heavy rifle. There is no recoil felt. The "cool" factor is off the charts. Everyone wants to know what you are shooting. This is a great rifle for the price. I'm going to try some 147grain ammo in it on monday and see what it will do at 100 yards after I move the front site.

I'm waiting on one also, sent payment and paperwork last week. it will have a friend with it when it arrives. ordered a sterling too, couldn't help myself.

Quote Originally Posted by leadpusher View Post
    I'm waiting on one also, sent payment and paperwork last week. it will have a friend with it when it arrives. ordered a sterling too, couldn't help myself.

What is a sterling? I've not heard of or seen one before.

Tim

Here's the Sterling that Centerfire is selling.

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/sterlingrifle.aspx

Here's the Sterling that Centerfire is selling.

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/sterlingrifle.aspx
    I suspected it was something British in origin given the name. An interesting design, but, not my cup-o-tea. I am just a sucker for wood, such as the beautiful stock on these Suomi smgs. Also, being a "southpaw" the way I would shoulder the sterling would leave me no place to put my right hand (except on the barrel's baffle cover - YEOOOOW!).

Tim

Here's are pics of two targets from today. I could not get the front sight to move so it is still shooting to the right about 4 to 5 inches. The first one is two 10 round strings of American Eagle 147grain FMJ. Ignore the 4 hits at the top of the target. They are from a M38 I was sighting in. I was aiming at the center bullseye to hit the bottom right diamond for the first string and aiming at the top left diamond to hit the center bullseye. The second is two 10 round strings of 115grain American Eagle FMJ. For the first 10 round string I aimed at the center bullseye and the second string I aimed at the diamond in the top left corner. All shooting was done at 50 yards from a bench.
    Last edited by turfmn; 05-25-2009 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tsellati View Post
    What is a sterling? I've not heard of or seen one before.

Tim
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterling_submachine_gun The other British sub machine gun.

Here's are pics of two targets from today. I could not get the front sight to move so it is still shooting to the right about 4 to 5 inches. The first one is two 10 round strings of American Eagle 147grain FMJ. Ignore the 4 hits at the top of the target. They are from a M38 I was sighting in. I was aiming at the center bullseye to hit the bottom right diamond for the first string and aiming at the top left diamond to hit the center bullseye. The second is two 10 round strings of 115grain American Eagle FMJ. For the first 10 round string I aimed at the center bullseye and the second string I aimed at the diamond in the top left corner. All shooting was done at 50 yards from a bench.
    turfmn,

Damn, that is pretty nice performance on the part of the Suomi and shooting on your part. Those are respectable groupings at 50 yards from a firearm designed more to "spray" bullets in the general direction of Red Army soldiers than to pick them off one at a time.

I hope my Somi (and I) perform as admirably. Did you get the sense that the Suomi preferred the 147 grain to the 115 grain bullets or was there no significant difference in feeding/ejecting, felt recoil, and accuracy of the two rounds?

Thanks again for the range report. This just makes me that much more impatient to get mine .

Tim

Default Centerfire System's Finnish Suomi M31???

I picked up one of these yesterday---Low serial #( less than #10) ---Shot it at the range where I bought it--Of corse there's no recoil with such a heavy gun--Decent groups---There were several times where the action would cycle but the striker did'nt cock---Later when I cleaned it I removed about a half teaspoon of metal chips and dirt from the channel where the striker rides so I hope this smoothes out when I shoot it again---Finish over all is very good---Welds competant---Barrel looks mint---Safty works---Shoots a little to the left so I gotta knock the front site over a tad---So, I ordered a couple drums for it---Any body know where I can get an authentic sling--I got a pe-pe-sha sling on it now but I'd like a Finnish one---Impressive piece over all---

mine is due to arrive tomorrow. thanks for the heads up on the cleaning thing.

I took the M31 out again. It really likes the 147gr American Eagle. I also tried some Winchester White Box 115gr. It looks to me like the group from the WWB is double the size of the AE147gr. If it wasn't so expensive, I'd like to try some +P in it. I've also heard of a dealer that has some Swedish 9mm subgun ammo that's not supposed to be used in a pistol. Any one know anything about that?
    Last edited by turfmn; 05-31-2009 at 07:42 PM.

It obviously likes 147gr. I'd load lead bullets for it as it's cheap and great for plinkin'. I just got another sub-gun (Uzi) and have stockpiled 147RN lead for it. I'm ordering a Soumi next week (hopefully) and just got another 2K bullets and more Herco. Now I gotta dig in the primer stash and hope I've got enough!

I finally got to shoot mine today. It shot a few inches to the right and high at 50 yds. I drifted the sight and managed to hit a 6 inch circle with most shots using WWB. All my mags and drums ran great. The only issue I had was when I tried Wolf. I would had a few failure to fires with light primer strikes. I would like to hear if anyone else has tried Wolf. Anyway, I really like the rifle, it's well built and would definately recommend the Suomi.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast