Gunboards Forums banner

Centerfire System's Finnish Suomi M31???

150K views 389 replies 87 participants last post by  zee10103 
#1 ·
These are due to hit the market this week (http://www.centerfiresystems.com/). Anyone getting one? Has anyone had an opportunity to preview the semi-automatic version of this classic WWII smg? If so, how did it function? What about accuracy?

Inquiring minds want to know as I am seriously considering buying one.

Tim

#3 ·
I saw one at Knob Creek, but don't know if it's the same that Centerfire will be selling. I'd like one, but I'm a bit of a purist and would like to have one with the original length barrel (would have to SBR it). The Suomi semi-auto at the Creek had what looked like a fake barrel extension welded to the existing barrel shroud (not my cup of tea).

#6 ·
Ha, ha, ha, yes, that did not escape my notice ;). As Franz 1796 points out, it is a shame the barrel had to be extended the way it was. The company's reasoning, which I guess I agree with, is that they wanted a legal-anwhere version right out of the box without people having to deal with the SBR issue and pay the associated fees. What I am hoping though is that the kit is built in such a way that the original length barrel could be swapped in after obtaining the SBR license. At it's current sales price I would not be bent out of shape having to pay an extra $200 to have a Suomi that (for the most part) looks like the original.

Tim

#8 ·
There certainly is something to be said for taking a wait-n-see approach. However, these semi-auto versions are not manufactured by Wise Lite the same way all the semi-autos were being sold by MGS in TX. As I understand these builds are being done by Tennessee Guns, thus, I am cautiously optimistic that what they sell through Centerfire Systems will not be a "bug"-riddled manufacture POS like some of the other semi-auto conversions to hit the market.

Tim

#9 ·
I saw the sample at the Creek, other than the barrel length the gun looks like the original, not like the picture in the ad for Centerfire, and that might be the reason they are covering it up as it might not be representative. I have seen the Centerfire picture before they "edited" it and the barrel shroud is extended an extra section like the wise-lite arms PPSH shroud. The K31 from Tennessee Guns that I saw had the standard shroud with the cone-style muzzle brake then the barrel extended beyond that by 1.5-2". Not necessarily my ideal configuration but I want one anyway.

#10 ·
Not necessarily my ideal configuration but I want one anyway.
They are now long enough that you won't burn yourself when you use them for cooking hotdogs on a compfire. ;)

I know "we've gotta do it" but that length of barrell on a non SBR'd Suomi, PPSh, or even the Thompson looks all wrong to me. Looks cartoonish. I can't get around it. Wish I could, but I can't.

#11 ·
get around

W/ the Suomi you have two options to "get around" the long barrel. One is stick w/ the 16" but add a Finn compensator,bored out to allow the longer barrel to stick out about 3/4 of an inch. Have done a mock up,does'nt look too bad. Option #2 is File a Form One w/ the BATmen ,write a check for $200 and then use barrel original size when you get the stamp.The best part of this option is you can use the original barrel takedown setup. Parts kits are still relatively cheap.Unsure exactly how they have it set up. Have to agree,the long barreled Thompsons,PPS,PPSh,etc do look "cartoonish" The Suomi not as much,the Finn model had a 12" barrel,w/ comp,close to the magic number.
Called Centerfire about my order this morning. They said,not in yet,but any minute now ! Will post pics soon as it turns up. Hopefully before I leave civilization ;-)

#13 ·
I would likely do the same, but, first I'd have to track down an original barrel. I'd hate to have to pay current prices on a whole kit just to get an original barrel. Maybe you'd be kind enough to sell one of your kits at its original low price ;)?

Tim

#14 ·
I've inquired about getting one as well and if successfull a full review will come up for your information.

#15 ·
I hate to bring this up, but! to my thinking BIG Brother ATF wouldn't allow these to be sold as legal rifles if you could still turn the release lever and remove the shroud and barrel as it was built originally. They would require that the long barrel be permantly attached so as to not allow easy modification back to original length. To bad too because the Suomi had one of easiest replaceable barrels of any SMG every made. I read somewhere that in the winter war they would actually shoot the Suomi until the barrel was redhot then using a Finnish knife (forgot the name of it) they would pop out the hot barrel into the snow and slap in a cool barrel and keep on shooting without skipping a beat. Each barrel had a number stamped on it and as long as you kept the same numbered barrel in the rifle no resighting was required. Of coarse we all know that if shot with a 14" barrel your are much more dead than when shot with a 16" barrel. Stupid Rules...

#22 ·
Oh yeah! I just got the call from Magnus that my Suomi is ready to ship. As soon as I fork over the dough and a copy of my 01 ffl I'll have one of the "beasties" on its way to me :D.

Tim

#23 ·
Here She Is!!!!
I picked mine up yesterday. Heres a few pics I took last night. I think they did a really great job on the build. I'd rate the finish a 7 out of ten. looks like some kind of parkerizing. Removing the bolt is easy. unscrew the plug at the rear of the reciever and everything comes out. Make sure you hold on to the plug. There are springs that will come flying out if your not careful. The fire control setup is pretty interesting. be careful when you remove it. There is a little bar on the right side of the trigger group that will fall out. It's a little tricky getting everything lined back up. THE BARREL COMES OFF! Very Cool!
Oh, I call DIBS! on all the Suomi stuff I bid on this week. You last minute "snipers" need to hunt some other auctions :)

#24 · (Edited)
turfmn,

Ah you lucky dog, you beat me to one! I agree, they do look awesome :D. I think I actually prefer that they just extended the barrel through the cowling instead of extending the cowling as well to cover the length of the barrel. It also is neat that the barrel comes off so easily although it does me no good here in NY since NYS law precludes me from obtaining an SBR license through NFA/BATFE as a civilian :(.

One thing I wonder is whether one can get the magazines (drum or stick) parkerized to match the finish on the Suomi? Any thoughts on this and who might be able to do it.

Regarding accessories, there I have you beat ;) as I have been waiting so long for a Suomi to hit the market I have had all the accessories sitting in my "arsenal" room for over a year.

I'll start a new thread to show off some of the accessories so fellow board members will know what to start keeping an eye out for (if they are as fanatical as me about "needing" all the accessories).

Tim

#26 · (Edited)
In digging back through some stock photos I have of the Suomi it struck me why I do not think the longer barrel looks too bad (though some purists might disagree). Here is the early original configuration of the M/31:

And here is the late version aka the "M/31 SJR" (Notice muzzle brake in end of barrel):

These new semi-auto versions have an extended barrel reminiscent of the M/31 SJR.

For those interested in reading more about the machine pistols used by the Finnish Army, here is an excellent article on the jaegerplatoon.net site (http://www.jaegerplatoon.net/MACHINEPISTOLS1.htm).

Tim

#28 ·
Some Suomi M31's are prettier than others...:p

...especially when they rock 'n' roll....:D

It is one of the best submachineguns I've ever fired. Almost not recoil or muzzle rise, accurate out to 100 yds, hell....you could write your name with it.

I wish it was mine....

#31 · (Edited)
I don't know, but, I am hoping turfmn is out spewing spent 9 mm cases into the sky! I think he is the first board member to have one in hand.

I sent payment out for mine yesterday, but, I am probably looking at a week and a half or so until I have my Suomi in hand.

Hopefully, Vic was able to finagle one out of TGI or CenterFire Systems to give it a "test drive" as well.

Tim

#32 · (Edited)
I just picked my Suomi up yesterday. Of course it comes when I am out of town! AND my range is closed this weekend. Hopefully I will be able to shoot it Monday evening. I have quite a few mags(sticks and coffins) and drums. All fed and ejected snap caps but there is no substitute for the real thing. The trigger seems pretty nice. Range report to follow.

#33 ·
I'm happy with mine. I was shooting American Eagle 115 grain rounds. At 50 yards I had a consistent 6" group. Mine shot low and right around 4"x4". I forgot to bring my brass hammer and punch set so I couldn't move the front site. I had no problems what so ever with the stick mag and drum mag that came with the rifle. I also had no problems with the drum mag I bought from a local dealer a year ago. This is a heavy rifle. There is no recoil felt. The "cool" factor is off the charts. Everyone wants to know what you are shooting. This is a great rifle for the price. I'm going to try some 147grain ammo in it on monday and see what it will do at 100 yards after I move the front site.

#34 ·
I'm waiting on one also, sent payment and paperwork last week. it will have a friend with it when it arrives. ordered a sterling too, couldn't help myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.