Thread: Vintage pic thread #55

Default Vintage pic thread #55

The pic file is filling up again - time to post. SW

1) What make motorcycles?
    2) The slightly blurred image hints it may not have been posed
    3) Smoke & mirrors
    4) ditto
    5) dam buster
    6 through 9) experimental as captioned. #9 looks like a trap door rifle.
    Last edited by 5thDragoons; 04-23-2009 at 09:17 PM.
    Of all the things I ever lost, I miss my mind the most.

#3 and #4 have me confused, guess that means they work.....LOL!
    #6 is a helpful picture.
    #7 That would NOT be fun to wear in the trenches...
    #8 Ian Hogg once said that Italy's own armament industry was their worst enemy in WW2. Looks like that was true even further back...
    #9 If that had ever been fielded, there would be a line of veterans outside the inventors house, holding hammers and eager to demonstrate the drawbacks of encasing your head in sheetmetal. And is that a 1873 Springfield on his shoulder?

Clyde is online now Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by 5thDragoons View Post
    The pic file is filling up again - time to post. SW

1) What make motorcycles?
    2) The slightly blurred image hints it may not have been posed
    3) Smoke & mirrors
    4) ditto
    5) dam buster
    6 through 9) experimental as captioned. #9 looks like a trap door rifle.
    1) No idea, but Japanese
    2) Looks like real combat footage to me. Also looks like there is a flamethrower involved
    3 & 4) Some of the fakes used to deceive the Germans about where the actual concentration for Overlord was, i think
    5) nailed that - one of Barnes Wallis's rotating bombs on a Lancaster
    6-9) The American helmets 1A and 2A are clear ancestors of the steel pots we all knew and loathed from WWII through and beyond Vietnam
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Some of those helmets look like they belong on the Death Star. :D
    The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

If it takes a bloodbath, letís get it over with - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    1) 3 & 4) Some of the fakes used to deceive the Germans about where the actual concentration for Overlord was, i think
    Looks like the desert to me. That model of Stuart would have been pretty rare by Overlord, and I've seen similar pictures (with Crusaders) dated back to El Alemain and earlier.
    Turning relics into near-relics since 2005.

Pic #5 is an Upkeep weapon fitted to AJ-G flown by Wing Commander Guy Gibson on the Dams raid. The aircraft was restored to standard Lancaster configuration and survived the war but was scrapped at a Maintenance Unit.

#9 looks like a lot Ned Kelly. Maybe it's a Snider. ;-)
    Last edited by munrod; 04-24-2009 at 12:46 PM.

Maybe #9 is the new villain from the next series of Dr. Who.

I want to know if any of those dummy tanks were ever sold as surplus. Love to get one!
    Always looking for interesting 7.62x25 Tokarev and 7.63 Mauser cartridges!!!
    Member: International Ammunition Assoc. (IAA), European Cartridge Research Assoc. (ECRA). Ask me about membership!

#1 looks possibly to be a rikou copy/version of the harley .They had a license to build harleys prior to WWII,and that picture looks sort of early ,maybe china incident..JMHO

#9 is the "Brewster Body Armor" it weighed 40+ pounds, made of nickle steel and would stop Lewis Gun bullets. It was designed by the same company that later designed and built the Brewster Buffalo!!!

Oneshooter
    Livin in Texas

I've heard of the dummy tanks used for the overlord diversion (and I agree that pic looks african) but the tank disguised as a truck? GENIUS!

Old Godziller, he lives over there in Jay-pan and that's a long ass commute just for a beat down.

I identify as "transfinancial" because I am actually a rich man living in a poor man's body. Please give generously so that I can transition into my true being !!!

Shouldn't they be wearing cowboy hats?

Old Godziller, he lives over there in Jay-pan and that's a long ass commute just for a beat down.

I identify as "transfinancial" because I am actually a rich man living in a poor man's body. Please give generously so that I can transition into my true being !!!

Quote Originally Posted by gew88guy View Post
    Where is that thing? And what the f**k is it? Looks like it might be in a Russian museum, but what and where?

Where is that thing? And what the f**k is it? Looks like it might be in a Russian museum, but what and where?
    Klingon Bird of Prey.
    The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

If it takes a bloodbath, letís get it over with - Ronald Reagan

geladen is online now Platinum Bullet Member and Curmudgeon-in-Training

Ask, and ye shall receive . . .

Bartini Beriev VVA-14

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Redirected from VVA-14)
    Jump to: navigation, search
    VVA-14

VVA-14M1P without wings or engines at the Monino museum, RussiaRoleAmphibious ASW aircraftNational originSoviet UnionManufacturerBerievDesigned byRobert BartiniFirst flight1972StatusRetiredNumber built2 PrototypesThe Bartini Beriev VVA-14 Vertikal`no-Vzletayuschaya Amphibia (vertical take-off amphibious aircraft) was developed in the Soviet Union during the 1970s. Designed to be able to take-off from the water and fly at high speed over long distances, It was to make true flights at high altitude, but also have the capability of 'flying' efficiently just above the sea surface, using ground effect. The VVA-14 was designed by Robert Bartini in answer to a perceived requirement to destroy United States Navy Polaris missile submarines.

[edit] Development

Bartini, in collaboration with the Beriev Design Bureau intended to develop the prototype VVA-14 in three phases. The VVA-14M1 was to be an aerodynamics and technology test-bed, initially with rigid pontoons on the ends of the central wing section, and later with these replaced by inflatable pontoons. The VVA-14M2 was to be more advanced, with two starting engines to blast into the cavity under the wing to give lift and later with a battery of lift engines to give VTOL capability, and with fly-by-wire flight controls. The VVA-14M3 would see the VTOL vehicle fully equipped with armament and with the Burevestnik computerised ASW (anti-submarine warfare) system, Bor-1 MAD (magnetic anomaly detector) and other operational equipment.

[edit] History

After extensive research, including the development of the small prototype Be-1 wing in ground effect aircraft, the first VVA-14 prototype was completed in 1972. Its first flight was from a conventional runway on 4th September 1972.
    In 1974 the inflatable pontoons were installed, though their operation caused many problems. Flotation and water taxi tests followed, culminating in the start of flight testing of the amphibious aircraft on 11th June 1975.
    The inflatable pontoons were later replaced by rigid pontoons, whilst the fuselage was lengthened and the starting engines added. This incarnation was given the designation VVA-14M1P. However, the bureau tasked with supplying the intended battery of 12 RD-36-35PR lift engines did not deliver, and this made VTOL testing impossible.
    After Bartini's death in 1974, the project slowed and eventually drew to a close, the aircraft having conducted 107 flights, with a total flight time of 103 hours. The only remaining VVA-14, No. 19172, was retired to the Russian Federation Central Air Force Museum, Monino in 1987. The aircraft still resides at the museum in a dismantled state, where it carries the number '10687' and 'Aeroflot'.
    Every post I make is made with a request for corrections. I'm here to learn.

Regards,
    Bill

III, GOA Life

Thank yoiu, sir. I thought it looked Soviet.

I've never seen a Marine with a kitten :eek:!

Fierce looking little fella, too. I think somebody just called him a "Devil Dog."

EDIT: Had to do it:

Last edited by Avenger; 06-08-2009 at 07:07 PM.

those tracks look like they would fall right off if a stick got wedged in them:D

"Who are you calling a pussy?"

My, my, Georgie and Willy, sometime in 1944...

Willie in mourning as Patton's effects wait to be shipped.

All that remained of the 116th Panzer Division when surrendered.

Remarkable pics, D! I like the Chetnik w/ Thompson! SW

I took these on Fort Dix in early 1991.

This 1963 Chrysler was the daily driver of Major General James Wurman, post commander of "Fortress Dix" (as he called the base).

Young officers used to gather around this thing and just shake their heads in awe? pity? disbelief? as they eyed the pushbutton shifter for the tranny and the bumper sticker that read "It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings".

(Rumour had it that sometime circa 1989 the General had red lights installed behind the grill of this thing to try and detain a young boy in a red hat and jeans who got his kicks jumping out in front of cars. Only thing was (is?) the "kid" has been doing this since about 1960 and is thought to have been killed by a car right about that time. Dix personnel still claim he's a nuisance.)

Hey, nuthin' wrong with push-button shifters. I learned to drive on a '56 Plymouth that had one...

I think I have posted this before....my Grandfather in the cavalry boots,I don't know if the 3 soldiers with the crossed .303's are men under his command or relations of mine.Taken between the wars,I reckon in the early 1930's.

Outsch...cocked and locked?
    Its a jungle out there (Randy Newman)

geladen is online now Platinum Bullet Member and Curmudgeon-in-Training

The way he has that cocked Broomhandle tightly strapped on him, it looks like he plans on pulling it up and firing with the stock in the middle of his chest.
    Every post I make is made with a request for corrections. I'm here to learn.

Regards,
    Bill

III, GOA Life

As muddy as his boots are, he may have just returned from the forward trenches where 'cocked & locked' is a good idea. I'm not sharp enough on the C-96 to tell if this one might have the NS - new safety. SW

And those walkingsticks look ...very fashionable. We lost the war but...going in style.
    Wolf
    Its a jungle out there (Randy Newman)

couple weird ones.....

Page 1 of 43 12345 11 ... LastLast