Thread: Winchester 1873 .22 Short

Default Winchester 1873 .22 Short

After years of searching I found an extractor for my Grandfather's '73 .22 short.
    Installed the part and now it works! tried it out and with 50+ year old eyes managed a .25" wide by 1" tall group at 50 feet and then proceeded to hit a 4" steel plate at 25 yards every time!
    It was made in 1886, is an octagon barrel rifle, not carbine; and is a presentation grade, with fancy wood, and plated buttplate, carrier, dust cover, lever, and forend cap. Relined and refinished in the 1930's, so I'm not afraid to shoot it.

Awesome story.

So where did you eventually find the extractor?

I have an 1890 in .22 short, what a nifty little caliber, very pleasant to shoot and despite the runs on ammo I still have no problem finding it.

"Brave men tell the truth, a wise man's tools are analogies and puzzles. A woman holds her tongue, knowing silence will speak for her"--Royksopp

Quote Originally Posted by j c johnson View Post
    After years of searching I found an extractor for my Grandfather's '73 .22 short.
    Installed the part and now it works! tried it out and with 50+ year old eyes managed a .25" wide by 1" tall group at 50 feet and then proceeded to hit a 4" steel plate at 25 yards every time!
    It was made in 1886, is an octagon barrel rifle, not carbine; and is a presentation grade, with fancy wood, and plated buttplate, carrier, dust cover, lever, and forend cap. Relined and refinished in the 1930's, so I'm not afraid to shoot it.
    Can we get a pic of it?
    If a man has nothing greater to believe in than himself, he is a very lonely man.

I reckon so. I guess we all died a little in that damn war.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by MEJ1990TM View Post
    Well, all right. Maybe just this once.

Default Pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by j c johnson View Post

Thanks for the pics. Very nice rifle. Never saw one before.
    If a man has nothing greater to believe in than himself, he is a very lonely man.

I reckon so. I guess we all died a little in that damn war.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by MEJ1990TM View Post
    Well, all right. Maybe just this once.

Yeeeesh. Want. Please?

You really should try to find a tang sight for it. For Lyman it would be a "W"

Marbles still makes them for about $119

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=140573

"Brave men tell the truth, a wise man's tools are analogies and puzzles. A woman holds her tongue, knowing silence will speak for her"--Royksopp

Thumbs up I likee.

Jeeez'
    Thats a lot of Rifle there for a weeny .22 Short.
    Just as well its not in my hands as i could'nt help putting a .22 Long Rifle Reamer in it;-((
    Last edited by chester; 04-30-2009 at 12:33 AM. Reason: missed a word.