Default Pillar bedding set for Mosin Nagant from Rocksolid

Scroll down to the end of the page: http://www.rocksolidind.com/Mosin%20Nagant.html

Has anyone tried these, and what are your opinions?

I am thinking of picking up a couple of pairs. Do they involve any drilling of the stock or do they just drop right in?

I might be wrong, but there is not much room around the screws so I would think you will have to drill out the holes a little

it would be just as easy to make your own & epoxy them in place. a 4 foot long piece of steel tubing will run you about $6. you can use 5/16" id or 1/4" id & ream or drill it out for the mosins .270dia. action screws. take a set of calipers & measure the distance between the action & the bottom metal.i usually add between .030-.060 to the measurement to free float the action slightly above the inletting or to keep the magazine from contacting the action.
    on the mosin i would freefloat the action about .030-060.
    if you have a lathe you can part the pillars off to the exact lenth & put a couple of groves in the od for the epoxy to catch & hold them in place.
    if you don't have a lathe you can use a tubing cutter to scribe a line around the tubing then saw it off about 1/16" long & file to the line. then make some shallow notches with a hacksaw in the od for the epoxy to catch.

NW Arkansas. Close to the Okie line, so I can get across ahead of the tax man from Little Rock...

Solid aluminum bar stock works very well. Drill to just above screw size, make up to length, and flute, slightly, to let the acraglas out.
    Pistol keeps me safe.
    Shotgun keeps me fed.
    Rifle keeps me free.

I've just used Brownell's Steelbed with excellent results in wooden stocks. I suspect the pillars only work well in the stronger composite stocks.
    I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

pillars work well regardless of the stock material

Thanks, guys! I will be looking into pillar bedding now for sure.

Now that I'm thinking about it - what do you use to keep the pillars in place?

You might try devcon putty.

The purpose of the pillar is to provide a non-compressible support around the screw where dimensions will not change with temp/humidity as wood shrinks and expands. Action screws can be tightened to a set and even torque that will not change.

While the pillars may provide the vertical stability between the action and the trigger group, alone, they do nothing to prevent horizontal movement and stress in the lug and tang area.
    Because you need to oversize the holes to accommodate the pillars, the remaining wood is weakened in those areas and could lead to cracking of the wood in an already very thin area of the stock.
    Therefore; the pillars really need to be solidly bedded in a block of epoxy that is stronger than the wood and will necessitate removing sufficient wood to accomplish.

If you are going to do that much work, you may as well do the full and complete bedding job and fully bed the front lug and rear tang area to provide the horizontal support that firmly anchors the action in place.

Pillars alone may be a band-aid for soft and spongy wood around the screws but will not gain the advantages of a complete epoxy bedding job after which you can free float the barrel from the receiver forward and eliminate the harmonics of stock contact.
    If you are looking to improve accuracy, a full and complete bedding job is the only way to go.

Devcon 1010 Steel Putty epoxy is the medium of choice.
    Strong as steel when set, it can be sanded, machined, drilled and shaped. Extremely strong, it stands up to the most harsh abuse and repeated recoil. It adheres quite solidly to wood (and metal if you are not careful).
    Because it requires minimum of 5mm thickness to achieve maximum strength, you have to remove considerable wood in the areas where it is used so you may as well do the whole job right if you intend to use it.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...d=1#post282054

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=96398

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=21165

Those are good if you don't have access to a drill press, or a local shop that supplies the proper ID tubing.

In 2004 I used the principals on pillar bedding Mausers from Wagner's web site to pillar bed a 91/30 with 3/8" brass tubing and epoxy [Devcon Steel Putty]:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...ghlight=pillar

Standard 3/8" stainless steel tubing works for most rifles. I have done Remington 700's,Mosins,Mausers. All that is required is to open up the action screw holes in the stock with a 3/8 drill bit and cut the tubing to the appropriate length with tubing cutters. I fit them .005 to .010 short of the thickness of metal to metal for a slight compression of the wood or synthetic material, then remove material from the forend to float the barrel. I also bed the receiver area of the stock as well as the pillers with Devcon or J&B Weld. This method has never failed to produce a more accurate rifle.
    Last edited by singleshotcajun; 07-02-2009 at 02:49 PM.
    We are told NOT TO judge Islam by the actions of a few lunatics. However we are encouraged TO judge ALL Gun Owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.
    NRA Lifer, TSRA, PSC Shooting Club
    SHALOM Y'ALL In God we trust, Romans 8:28

Good tips on the tubing; I willl look into that

As for removal of material - do you guys use the socket wrapped in sandpaper method, or has anyone invested in one of those wood working tools that utilizes discs to scrape away excess material? I find the sandpaper method to be a real knucklebuster and terribly, painfully slow.
    Last edited by Gewehrwolf; 07-02-2009 at 04:37 PM.

Mostly use an appropriate size of steel or delrin round stock to wrap sand paper on and use as a guide.I have different size O.D homemade tools for relieving barrel channels. In extreme cases I use a huge round file.
    We are told NOT TO judge Islam by the actions of a few lunatics. However we are encouraged TO judge ALL Gun Owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.

I suppose it's a bit of a dumb question, but when I do the "dollar bill test" to check free-float or lack thereof, do I tighten the action screws completely or leave them loose?

I just snug them down, to where everything is holding nice and even. You might also try using a business card, for this has been proven to be more accurate than a dollar bill. I freefloated my mosin, and this has worked well for me.

Business card, gotcha

Action screws need to be tight. If you have done the pillar job correctly you can get the screws tight without fear of deforming your stock. Now, tight is a subjective term and I do not use a torque driver but lets just say good and tight. Also, finger nail polish on the threads will keep the action screws from backing out and will not hamper removal at a later date.I use fingernail polish on any machine screws on firearms that may loosen from vibration. I Always apply FP to all screws pertaining to scope mounting. Be sure to use a good brand of car wax(I like turtle wax paste) on the receiver if you use Devcon or J&B weld for the bedding. Apply wax with a brush, be sure to get good coverage,this will prevent welding your action to your wood. Let the epoxy cure for a day then disassemble and remove excess epoxy with an Exacto knife.Good luck.

Yeah those pillar posts fro Rocksolid are great, i have used them in my bedding project of the M39 and the scope mounts are excellent choice too

I have been having thoughts of glass bedding one of my M39's in the original stock, useing these pillars. But I fear being tarred and feathered by the main forum.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    I have been having thoughts of glass bedding one of my M39's in the original stock, useing these pillars. But I fear being tarred and feathered by the main forum.
    Don't tell em:D:D