Default Spam can markings legend? 7.62x54r

Does anyone know of a website that tells you what all the markings on the milsurp spam cans means?

My friend has a lot of cans and he is trying to tell which ones are light ball versus heavy ball. it is all 7.62x54r, he doesnt want to have to pull a bullet an weight it, hoping the containers actually says it somewhere in the local language. Most is Bulgarian, but he does have others like Russian, Czech, etc.

thanks,

Best way it to check the pics offered on Ted's site:

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo.htm

If you don't find it there, you could post pics here. Someone will know what you have.
    Last edited by Franz 1796; 05-04-2009 at 11:03 AM.

Thanks, i realize now that many of the spam cans sometimes just have to be opened to know what you have, it appears you can get better info from the head stamp, than the spam can.

Thanks,

The headstamp will tell you nothing about the load type. In most every case, the spam can markings tell you everything you need to know. Post pics here if you have any questions.

D.D.

If we cant figure it out i will get some photos, but i think i might be able to figure it out with the help of 7.62x54r.net. My main concern in grain weight, i have a PSL and dont want anything over 150gr.

Try this: http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmoID01.htm#Packaging, scoll down and see pictures of crates and tins, with descriptions of the information printed on the crates and tins. Hope this helps.
    NRA Life Member

Look for the letters "LPS" That's commie code for light ball