Default Star Model B vs. Super B

I'm looking to purchase either a Star Model B or Super B. I understand the differences in barrel assembly and takedown, but was wondering if there was any physical difference in the appearance of the guns except for the Super's takedown lever? Also, since I'm looking to buy a shooter that will last, which Model will I be able to find replacement parts for more easily, especially major items like a replacement barrel? Thanks for any advice you can give me.

There aren't any major physical differences. If a casual observer looked at them from more than 5 feet, they couldn't tell them apart.

I don't believe that you will find much difference in part cost either. No one makes parts for either weapon. Any parts that you find will be used or NOS that someone has on a dusty shelf or buried under their Glock parts at a gun show. Of course, some of us think that is half the fun of owning an obsolete pistol.

Jim

Thanks for the info. One other question, is there any difference in durability between the linked and linkless barrel assembly of the B vs. the Super. I plan on using the pistol for plinking and would like it to hold up. I've read that a 1911 barrel link could be modified to replace a Star B link, but I don't believe there would be any options for replacing the barrel on the Super if the lug broke.

You are correct that there is no alternative to barrel replacement if the underlug breaks. On the other hand, I've examined hundreds and never seen a broken one.

IF the gun has the original factory-fitted barrel or a replacement fitted by someone who understood what he was doing, you are unlikely to fire enough rounds in "plinking" through either model to cause the pistol any structural harm. However, replacement barrels are not drop-ins like they are today. Back when Star made the Models A and B and Super versions, the factory did not hold frame and slide tolerances close enough to dispense with selective fitting of barrels. Fitting is usually required to reconcile the tolerances elsewhere, and a barrel that is improperly fitted will cause the gun to self-destruct in fairly short order.

The standard models with the swinging link have more inherent play in them and are more forgiving; the solid-lug Supers are not particularly tolerant of ill-fitted barrels. In any case, you're worried about the wrong thing; other troubles will be manifest long before the barrel underlug breaks.

M

Hey, thanks for the replies. Well, I went ahead and ordered a Model B Super since it seems I can actually get spare parts from Sarco at the moment. It is a 1974/75 production model. Anybody know where I could find extra magazines for a Super B?

Default Thank You!

Very informative MGMike! Thank You!

I did finally come across a '72 dated Mod. B Super 9m/mP. I can't seem to get much time with it with all the sharing as everybody wants a turn with it.

Bob in St. Louis sells magazines and goodies too and is a great guy to deal with!

Draybo : )