Default Spencer model of 1882?

Hey, I picked up a new shotgun at an antique store last sunday. It is a Spencer pump shotgun. The only markings are on top of the barrel, pattented april 1882. It's got a 32'' damascus barrel, and the shells are ejected out the top of the reciever. Some funny plasticky material for the pump, and the butt-plate. It had a shattered pistol-grip, but was repaired with a period-correct pre-WWII fix, and covered with shrunk-wrapped leather. Other than that, the gun was in fair to good condition, with most of the original browning intact.
    OK.
    Here's where I become unsure of what to do. I had bought the gun as a project. I paid only $150.00 for it, with the intent of re-barrelling it, hogging-out the mono-block for modern shells, and having it re-finnished. I really want to make it into a unique modern shooter. Some of my friends are giving me grief, but I kinda don't care. Does anyone else have one of these guns? What are your thoughts? Values? I think my serial # is in the 900's. Thanks.
    Last edited by ajcorulli; 05-17-2009 at 01:37 AM.

Spencer

First you have to find out if it is a Early (Real) Spencer made shotgun or later made Bannerman made one. Bannerman ones should be marked on the side of the receiver with their logo . The early Spencer made ones bring good $ to a Spencer collector. The last one I bought was $350 and that was a very nice Bannerman made one. A nice "Spencer" will bring more. If it is a Spencer it is worth more than you payed as parts.
    If ya want advice,the project sounds interesting but ya may blow yourself up. the receiver,bbl etc were for black powder only! My advice ,sell it to a Spencer collector and buy a new shotgun with the money OR start collecting Spencers! I have collected Spencers starting in 1967 ,have 26 rifles and 3 of the shotguns.The book ya need is "The Spencer Repeating Firearms" By Marcot for info. and the New Flaydermans price guide for value.
    But the Spencer book cost about what ya payed for the gun if ya can find one,,no one ever said this was a cheap hobby. Getting off track I told my bride after transfering a nice M1 Thompson ,I m going back to collecting Corvettes it's cheaper.HAHA Have fun!
    Johnny G

Spencer

Change that to 4 Spencer Shotguns. The weekend after I answered your post I was at a large show and did it again! A guy had a really nice short bbl Spencer shotgun ,looks like something a man riding shotgun in a stagecoach would have! I can only dream! Any way price was only $150 WHAT A DEAL! Maybe ya gave me luck! I had not seen one for sale in a long time! Interesting to find one after just answering your post.
    Happy collecting
    Johnny G

Default Marlin

On the Marlin and others I have had great luck here at "Want to buy" locating parts I need.
    Johnny G

That "funky plastic" forearm is Gutta Percha - a fancy name for hard rubber. Be careful with solvents around it as it'll get gloppy from some stuff.
    I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

Default My 24 has blurred edges on the receiver from a powered sander

I got a little carried away yesterday and picked up another Marlin pump. I THINK it's a model 53, because it's a 12ga, and it is lacking ANY marks on the receiver, other than the serial. I read that the 53 made use of old parts stockpiles. There is no model number on it anywhere. It is in VG condition. I had planned to rob the forearm off of it for my model 24, but now I'm not so sure. My model 24 is pretty bad, but I like it more.

Sweet snag on that $150.00 Spencer. I am totally jealous. Do you hang those on the wall, or put them to sleep in a safe?

On a totally unrelated note: Has anyone had experience with a Remington Keene? I'm thinking of picking up a terrible one as an interesting project.