Default Reloads for the armalite ar-10

Hi
    I need reloads for the Armalite AR-10 rifle in 308 win. My rifle is a 16 inch barrel. I plan to use military and commercial brass.
    The powder I would like to use is H380 powder and IMR 4895.
    Bullet weight is 150 gr. 168 grs and 175 grs.
    In the military brass must I use one gr. less?
    I would like match type loads.
    Thank you for help
    Robert Hickey

well... read this http://www.zediker.com/downloads/14_loading.pdf

admitedly.. this is mostly about the specific parameters of reloading for the M1a.. but it does mention the various match loads, powder and ammount used and with what bullets as well as the history of those loads... Like how you make the actual legendary Mexican Match ammo and how it happened and why it is named that.. lot of good stuff..

Default Reloads for the armalite ar-10

Hi
    thats a start. Still need more input!!
    Thanks
    bob

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT H. View Post
    Hi
    I need reloads for the Armalite AR-10 rifle in 308 win. My rifle is a 16 inch barrel. I plan to use military and commercial brass.
    Thank you for help
    Robert Hickey
    In the military case I would drop the charge by about 10%. But now check your cases. The water method for case capacity will tell you which case has more or less volume. May really not be that much overall.
    If a man has nothing greater to believe in than himself, he is a very lonely man.

I reckon so. I guess we all died a little in that damn war.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by MEJ1990TM View Post
    Well, all right. Maybe just this once.

Dont have any loads for you through experience with gas guns but the H380 in that short barrel is going not going to be very efficient and with lower than normal velocity will make a nice big fire ball at the muzzle even with the heavier 175 gr bullet you list your right on track with the 4895 and powders in that burn rate .

Tim
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

LETS GO PENS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, reduce by 1 or 2 grains in mil brass. I will PM the American Riflemans Staff match load data sheet to you. These were developed in LC cases specifically for the M1a and 308 Garands, so should do well in an AR-10. Notes are at the bottom of the data list. Don't get hung up on LC Match as opposed to regular LC Ball brass, it's not magic.
    Been loading 308/7.62 for 308 Garands and M1a rifles for over 30 years and these are the basic recipes. IMR 4895 is the perfect powder. There are other suitable powders and some prefer ball powders through their measures, but IMR 4895 and IMR 4064 are the all time staples.
    How many psi in a CUP?

Default Thanks.

Hi guys
    thanks for all your help.
    Bob

In the heart of beautiful Montana. A remote rural area with lots of critters and very few folks.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT H. View Post
    Hi
    Thank you for help
    Robert Hickey
    Bob,

I have a great shooting AR-10. It did take awhile to find its favorite fodder. I should also note that COAL and use of a small base sizing die are important factors, at least for my rifle. My AR-10 has a tight chamber and because there is no forward assist, chambering fat rounds doesn't work well at all.

Best powders so far are (in order) TAC, AA3100, and IMR 4895. IMR 4064 is always a good choice as well. With TAC (43 gr.) and 168 gr. BTHP I get around 3" groups @ 300 yds. With 36 gr. of 4895 and 150 gr. Sierra BTHP (a very mild load that still works action) I get excellent groups, usually around 3/8" @ 100 yds.. MV is 2410 fps. With AA3100, 42 grs. and plain old 150 Hornady FMJ groups @ 100 yds are always 1" or less.

Interestingly, Lake City Match does 2 3/4" @ 300 yds. Even better, mil surp Portuguese will do 1/2" @ 100 and around 1" @ 300 yds.! That stuff is incredible, and if I could handload ammo half as good, I would be a lucky boy!
    I guess I am lucky in a way, because I bought a couple of cases of it several years ago. It's pretty much 'non-available' anymore.

Hope all this helps.

Brian

Default Best loads for the armalite ar-10

Hi Brian,
    Thank you for your help with hand loading for the AR-10 rifle. I have IMR4895 and H4985 powder. I just bought three old reloading books from the 50" and early 60"s. Now I have loads using the H380. You are right about the chamber is tight. I wish I still had any portuese ammo 8MM or 308.
    I will try your load out.
    Regards
    Bob