Gunboards Forums banner

French 32 Long ( 7,65 ) Ammo

5K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  louielouie2 
#1 ·
I was at a gun show today and I was sold this Ammo, 32 Long 7,65 French .The guy told me it was the same as 32Long S/W . Well it did not work. Is there some one or some place I can sell this ammo. Please help me. I paid $30.00 a box. And I have 6 Boxes It is in a Brown Box with French writing. Im guessing its Military Surplus. Please help

#3 ·
French 32 long

Per the "NRA Illustrated Firearms Assembly Handbook, Volume 2, page 103, Pistol Magazines, French 1935A MAS .32 Automatic", circa --sometime around 1964: "It is unfortunate that French military automatic pistols are chambered for the uncommon 7.65 mm Long pistol cartridge. Ammunition is so scarce that these interesting guns are not fully appreciated." I suspect the ammo sitation hasn't changed all that much although I still have box or two -- just wish I still had the excellent but stolen MAS 1935S they went with. In addition to being used in semi-auto pistols this round was also used in a sub-machinegun that I believe saw service with the French in Viet Nam. Hope this helps. br

#7 ·
Pederson v. 7.65 L

Red: I think it is virtually the same round. Years ago, J Hansen had 5000 rounds of Pedersen ammo from Remington, 1918 dated. I bought a bunch and it worked in my 1935 S just fine. I do not know about the minor differences in bullet weight and interior capacity, but externally I believe that they were about the same thing...

Dale

#8 ·
The French Army had tested in 1922 a semi auto carbine designed by John M Browning in .30 Pedersen, the caliber was appreciated, not the carbine.

The french Army bought in 1925 from the USA 50.000 cartridges in .30 Pedersen to start testing its SMG test guns in that caliber, and a French arsenal was tooled up to take over fabrication.

According to some French authors, The choice of shifting to the 7.65 L cartridge for handguns and SMG was dictated by several arguments:
- the 7.65 L was as accurate and nearly as efficient as the 9 Luger up to 600M, while 25% lighter thus allowing soldiers to carry 30% extra ammo on the same weight.
- The light recoil of the 7.65 L made possible the design of lighter handguns and SMG.
- There was no factories in 1925 beside Germany where the 9x19 ammo could be fabricated in large quantities.
- The USA could manufacture the 7.65 L ammo while there was no capacity for the 9x19 there.

kelt

#11 ·
I know, but they did it anyhow...

Kelt is correct, the bore diameter is a little too big. Remington made a conversion anyhow....I saw it in the 1970's in Connecticut. They made a Berthier and a Mosin Nagant conversion as well as the US Mod 1917. These kits and rifles were from the company pattern room in Bridgeport Connecticut, J. Hanson was selling them.....(For a lot of money I might add!)

I have no idea what inspired them to do this, but there is no telling what concepts are cooked up in the minds of proto-yuppies in the 20's.....

I can understand why they liked the cartridge, since at the time (1920's) 9 mm was a relatively hard to find cartridge. Their reasons are quite logical and correct, but today we have no idea what it was like then...9mm was not the big deal it is today....

Dale

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.