Thread: M39 front sight replacement procedure

Default M39 front sight replacement procedure

I want to put a higher front sight on my M39.

Is there a procedure to do this? Our do I just unscrew on of the screws on the side
    of the sight ears?

Does anyone know why these rifles shoot high? Is it cause Finn ammo was different
    than Mosin ammo we get surplus these days?

Thanks
    Skip

You only have to remove the right side screw and then replace the sight, and yes the Finnish ammo is that much slower, thats why they shoot high, the Original ammo that the M39 was designed is loaded with a 13gram or 200grain D166 boattail bullet that has only 680 to 720 meters/s velocity, and most of the surplus ammo is loaded with russian type bullets such as LPS that is only 9,7 grams and 820 to 880 meters/s velocity and it has a more straighter trajectory because of the higher speed.
    VKT M39 1941
    28/30
    91/30 PU
    27-66 ASEV 1
    28-76 ASEV 1
    TAK-85

Very easy to do. DO NOT MESS WITH THE SET SCREW AT THE BOTTOM REAR OF THE SIGHT.

Actually it is beyond easy, routine, comes to mind.

lln

Default Thats why

Thats why I asked. I knew there was something not to touch in this action .

Many thanks guys.

skip

Thanks - this answers a question I asked about adjusting the site on another thread.

Just an observation; Sometimes the front (replacement) blade can "rock" (rotate around the adjustment screws) sligthly when the adjustment screws are loosened. Pay attention to the rotational position of the blade prior to loosening the screws and set the position the same when tightening or a shift in elevation may occur.

If the blade rocks, I try to keep it in an easily reproducible position, such as all the way back when making side-to-side adjustments on the range.