Gunboards Forums banner

M39 front sight replacement procedure

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Daniel39 
#1 ·
I want to put a higher front sight on my M39.

Is there a procedure to do this? Our do I just unscrew on of the screws on the side
of the sight ears?

Does anyone know why these rifles shoot high? Is it cause Finn ammo was different
than Mosin ammo we get surplus these days?

Thanks
Skip

#2 ·
You only have to remove the right side screw and then replace the sight, and yes the Finnish ammo is that much slower, thats why they shoot high, the Original ammo that the M39 was designed is loaded with a 13gram or 200grain D166 boattail bullet that has only 680 to 720 meters/s velocity, and most of the surplus ammo is loaded with russian type bullets such as LPS that is only 9,7 grams and 820 to 880 meters/s velocity and it has a more straighter trajectory because of the higher speed.:)

#6 ·
Just an observation; Sometimes the front (replacement) blade can "rock" (rotate around the adjustment screws) sligthly when the adjustment screws are loosened. Pay attention to the rotational position of the blade prior to loosening the screws and set the position the same when tightening or a shift in elevation may occur.

If the blade rocks, I try to keep it in an easily reproducible position, such as all the way back when making side-to-side adjustments on the range.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.