Default Scrap brass prices today????

What are you guys getting for Scrap cartridge brass today...?

I know prices fell a whole bunch from last Summer, but have they picked up a bit lately?

I am sitting on about 300lbs of empty cases and I wonder if I should just let them sit for better prices down the road.

2520wcf Guest

With so many people out of work, the scrap collections are 'way high. And with the manufacturing sector "out of work' (even in China it's down), the demand is low. High supply plus low demand = well, you know. So I'd sit on the brass if you can. I turned some in the other day at a scrap yard in Long Beach, CA (the nearest place to China market for scrap) and, while I can't for the life of me remember the price, I was shocked by it; almost took it back. 'Way lower than I was getting in upstate NY two years ago before I moved to CA.

Demand for ammo may drive it back up some soon, but much of the world's ammo isn't brass cased any more.....

Last summer I was selling my berdan brass for $1.97/#. Then the bottom fell out of the economy and when I took brass in to the recycler in December the price was down to $.15/# :eek: At that price it doesn't pay to even pick up your brass. I'm now sitting on my 5 gallon pails of brass waiting for ...???:
    "The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament..."

I'm starting, to suspect that I, don't know how to use commas.

I think the price is more like 60cents/pound right now.

Sounds cheap, but a 5 gal bucket of brass would get you enough cash to Buy General Motors. That don't sound too bad, huh?

Yeah, but then you'd own General Motors.

We already own GM

Yeah, at least until O sells the rest of it to China.
    ďAs democracy is perfected, the office of the president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.Ē H.L. Mencken

I just got back from the scrapyard. I sold 331 Lbs at $0.75 per. I walked out with $248.25 in my pocket.

They also told me they used to give full "yellow brass" price which currently is $1.17 per.

USMCsean is online now Super Moderator / Silver Bullet member/ Rocket Scientist

If you have any swiss 7.5 brass, I'm sure I'd take a little off your hands. :D
    Semper Fi,
    Sean

Check out the newest forum on Gunboards! The Brass Exchange. Where reloaders can come and find the brass that they need. http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...Brass-Exchange

Please add your info for the Tikka 91/30 Survey at: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...=3975#post3975

We Marines believe that God gave America the greatest gift he could bestow to man while he lived on this earth-freedom. We also believe he gave us another gift nearly as precious-our soldiers, sailors, airmen, Coast Guardsmen, and Marines-to safeguard that gift and
    guarantee no force on this earth can every steal it away. It has been my distinct honor to have been with you here today. Rest assured our America, this experiment in democracy started over two centuries ago, will forever remain the "land of the free and home of the brave" so long as we never run out of tough young Americans who are willing to look beyond their own self-interest and comfortable lives, and go into the darkest and most dangerous places on earth to hunt down, and kill, those who would do us harm.
    Nov 13, 2010 Lt General John Kelly, USMC

Anyone ever come across a recycler not willing to take empty brass cartridge cases or bitching about the primers? Anyone ever try to recycle blazer aluminum cases or steel cased ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by Moonclip View Post
    Anyone ever come across a recycler not willing to take empty brass cartridge cases or bitching about the primers? Anyone ever try to recycle blazer aluminum cases or steel cased ammo?
    Many or Most of the Houston area Scrap dealers will not take Cartridge cases. They are afraid of live rounds and many sales (all brass to China) has to have the cartridge cases shreaded to pieces before shipment.... Too much of a hassle for most scrap dealers.

Blazer should go in the aluminum trade OK......steel cases are not worth picking up as you would get about 4cents/pound at best.

I pick up my brass just because... That's what I was taught and don't like to leave piles at the range. I shoot lots of commie steel case and it goes in a box in the garage until I have enough to dump in the scrap metal dumpster at work.
    Just me, but I'd rather recycle it for free than throw it away

Local scrap yard here in town quoted me $1.10 per pound for cartridge brass. about a year ago they gave me $1.84 per pound.

I used to pick up a lot of brass at the ranges I go to, but everyone seems to pick up after themselves lately and there are some who just scavenge. Rare to even see .22lr brass on the ground anymore....

D.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
    Local scrap yard here in town quoted me $1.10 per pound for cartridge brass. about a year ago they gave me $1.84 per pound.

I used to pick up a lot of brass at the ranges I go to, but everyone seems to pick up after themselves lately and there are some who just scavenge. Rare to even see .22lr brass on the ground anymore....

D.D.
    I would be happy to get a buck a pound...now to find a Houston Scrap Yard to take my brass!!!

Last time I was there, the 55 gal. drum they put the scrap brass in was almost full with beautiful, once fired brass 9mm, .40 and .45 from the local police academy range, not to mention some very nice US GI .30-06 brass... I flirted with the idea of buying it for resale to reloaders...

D.D.