Thread: 225 Winchester Brass to 219 Donaldson Wasp

Default 225 Winchester Brass to 219 Donaldson Wasp

OK, here's the deal. I have this custom rifle, built on a 98 Mauser action, probably in the '50's. It's in .219 Donaldson Wasp. I know the Wasp was originally made from 30-30 brass, but this base won't fit the .473 rim of the Mauser bolt. I have some brass that came with the rifle that has had the base turned to ~.473. It's OK, but............
    It looks to me like that 225 Winchester would be easy to form into the Wasp. The reloading manual says it's a semi rimmed cartridge. I'm wondering if the Mauser extractor would grab this small rim.
    Any ideas????

NW Arkansas. Close to the Okie line, so I can get across ahead of the tax man from Little Rock...

Quote Originally Posted by ole fred View Post
    OK, here's the deal. I have this custom rifle, built on a 98 Mauser action, probably in the '50's. It's in .219 Donaldson Wasp. I know the Wasp was originally made from 30-30 brass, but this base won't fit the .473 rim of the Mauser bolt. I have some brass that came with the rifle that has had the base turned to ~.473. It's OK, but............
    It looks to me like that 225 Winchester would be easy to form into the Wasp. The reloading manual says it's a semi rimmed cartridge. I'm wondering if the Mauser extractor would grab this small rim.
    Any ideas????
    It will. I have turned .30-30 brass down to .473" for a custom 93 Mauser of mine for about twelve years now.... It took some custom work to make up a magazine that would work, but I have prints, and you should be able to make it go if you want. The little gun will take some tweaking to get the .30-30 diameter hull to work in the magazine. E-mail me.
    Pistol keeps me safe.
    Shotgun keeps me fed.
    Rifle keeps me free.

When I built my 219 on a 98 I turned the bolt face flat and ground the extractor to fit the 30-30 case. If you have to mod the cases to fit the rifle they aren't really .219 Donaldson Wasp anymore. They are a round with the same internal dimensions and bullet diameter but, externally it's ole fred's wasp and should be so marked.
    How many psi in a CUP?

Can't argue with what you're saying. You're right. But, the caliber is not marked anywhere on it now. When I bought it years ago, the seller said it was .219 Donaldson Wasp, and gave me the dies to fit along with ~100 reformed 30-30 cases with the bases trimmed to ~.473. I loaded two of them and fired them. No problem.

NW Arkansas. Close to the Okie line, so I can get across ahead of the tax man from Little Rock...

Donaldson built the case both ways, as did several other wildcatters of his period. For the P.14s they used the .30-30 hull, unaltered. For the Mausers, they used the .473. In that era, folks weren't so driven by labels and beancounter concepts of 'liability'.
    Pistol keeps me safe.
    Shotgun keeps me fed.
    Rifle keeps me free.