Default Enfield ? Grenade Launcher ???

What exactly is this, help please? I normally collect Mosin-Nagants and have no clue about Enfields (though I have some). How much is it worth?

TIA and regards
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grenade launcher Enfield.jpg  
    KH
    please help me with my Polish, Hungarian and Romanian MN-datasheet, click here:
    http://www.gunboards.com/form.asp

I might be mistaken but it looks light a spigot launcher for a no.4 rifle. I know they are valuable but couldn't tell you an exact amount.

How did you come across it?

cheers,
    Lachy.
    "WE SHALL DEFEND OUR ISLAND WHATEVER THE COST MAY BE, WE SHALL FIGHT ON THE BEACHES, WE SHALL FIGHT ON THE LANDING GROUNDS, WE SHALL FIGHT IN THE FIELDS AND IN THE STREETS, WE SHALL FIGHT IN THE HILLS, WE WILL NEVER SURRENDER!!!"
    Sir Winston Churchill.

It's the launcher for the No.94 (Energa) rifle grenade, a 1950's design

I have a manual for it dated 1953.

the official name for the GL is "projector grenade, rifle no 4 with sight mk 5"

regards

Richard

Depending in which Police force area you live in UK, these are either (a) a harmless item of militaria, or (b) a prohibited weapon under the Firearms Act, possession of which means a five year jail sentence..... seriously....

GREAT, many thanks!!!!!

Regards
    KH

Get One of These:

http://www.bloomautomatic.com/

...And tell the nice Policeman that it's nothing more than a powder - activated golf club to help improve your handicap at the Country Club.

"Fore!"

Default Between

$35.00 and $70.00 USD depending on condition and if it has the leather case with it. Not to terribly rare in the USA.

are these really not rare in the US?

Maybe it's just me but I have not ever seen one for sale. Would it be because I'm in Australia?, what do the other ozmatics think. What would the going price in Australia be?

cheers,
    Lachy.
    "WE SHALL DEFEND OUR ISLAND WHATEVER THE COST MAY BE, WE SHALL FIGHT ON THE BEACHES, WE SHALL FIGHT ON THE LANDING GROUNDS, WE SHALL FIGHT IN THE FIELDS AND IN THE STREETS, WE SHALL FIGHT IN THE HILLS, WE WILL NEVER SURRENDER!!!"
    Sir Winston Churchill.

Quote Originally Posted by LACHY.303. View Post
    are these really not rare in the US?

Maybe it's just me but I have not ever seen one for sale. Would it be because I'm in Australia?, what do the other ozmatics think. What would the going price in Australia be?

cheers,
    Lachy.
    I think SARCO had some for sale on their web site.

Thanks,

I will check out what Australian customs thinks before I order one.

cheers,
    Lachy.
    Sir Winston Churchill.

Did someone say manual?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cover01.jpg   Page02-03-a.jpg   Page02-03.jpg   Page04-05.jpg   Page04-05-b.jpg  

Odd hand position on the trigger. So is the recoil wrist shattering?

I have a no.5 with grenade launching sights that was used in a firing trial. The recoil has mushroomed the wood where it fits against the receiver socket. The math exists to calculate the recoil from firing such a beast. Look in a physics book under impulse and momentum equations.

Saw a Discharger Cup on fleapay yesty for a "Buy it now" price of over AUS$600-. Yikes!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sprog View Post
    Odd hand position on the trigger. So is the recoil wrist shattering?
    One was supposed to 'flick' the trigger thus the odd position of the trigger finger.

I last fired a 94 Grenade off a .303 in the early sixties. The bang startled me more than the recoil; so much so that I literally dropped the rifle causing the grenade to sail over the target and off in the distance. (If anyone finds a drill 94 Grenade on Holcombe Moor Lancs., its mine.)

The SLR version was much more civilised.

In addition to the leather pouches, the '58 Pattern Web Equipment has a pouch for the 94 Grenade Launcher on the side of one of the basic pouches.
    Last edited by Beerhunter; 11-13-2007 at 04:39 AM.

Only seen one in a collection owned by a gun dealer - rare enough around these parts.

Thumbs up Best Investment...

Quote Originally Posted by Wagga Screw View Post
    Saw a Discharger Cup on fleapay yesty for a "Buy it now" price of over AUS$600-. Yikes!!
    It seems as if the cup launcher that clamps on to the nose cap that I bought for about $20 some 15 years ago may have been one of the better investments I've made in some time!

It seems that the caliber of the WW-II British grenade (Did they use these rigs in WW-I?) was almost exactly the same as a regulation tennis ball, which I thought was terribly considerate of them.

With a home rolled blank using a dab of shotgun powder and a patch of wool for a wad (they used wool for the powder bags of Napoleonic cannon as it does not smolder / set things on fire after firing) it lofts a tennis ball pretty well - but since it blasts a hole clean through them they aren't much good for anything after that.

I found a mill that turns decorative and craft wood items, and by chance they have hardwood balls in just the right caliber!

Yowie!!!; Don't those things sail?!

Since my wooden balls don't weigh as much as a grenade, recoil is negligable and firing from the shoulder is no problem.

In the old boards some one posted an earlier manual that shows how to launch a grenade out of one of those muzzle-cups attached to the No. 1 Mk. III.

A distinctly different technique.

By and large you'd reverse the rifle (barrel away from you) with the butt planted on the ground, tilted towards target (kind of like the Chinese "Knee Mortar" I suppose) and hang on to the nose cap with the left hand.
    There is a vent port at the base of the cup with a sliding gate so that the launch pressure may be adjusted. Once set, a knurled set screw locks the gate in place.

The Mk.III barrel was known to flex under recoil and sometimes blow the handguard right off. That's why they wrapped them and the wrist in wire.

Although this picture shows a mid-forestock grip, apparently Tommy quickly learned that this was not where he wanted to be holding on when the handguard blew off!

Another thing; using light "squib" blanks the report is not all that bad - but if you load them up for serious ball - launching (have yet to find a tin can that really fits well) you will need hearing protection - the "muzzle" of that cup is about level with your ears and will ring them badly if you are not properly muffed up or plugged!

The cup "rings" like a bell for a second or so after firing, which is sort of an entertaining effect.

Since our Government, in all it's infinite wisdom, has decreed that the PVC plastic sewer pipe "Potato cannon" is a "Destructive device" and mere possession of one is now a federal crime, It's probably safe to assume that in any realm where subjects are found to be having too much fun launching golf or tennis balls or other inert projectiles, that they will be verbotten there as well, if they are not already "contrabando".

Quote Originally Posted by Beerhunter View Post
    One was supposed to 'flick' the trigger thus the odd position of the trigger finger.
    Yes it did look like a guitar being strummed.
    Us Brylcream boys were lucky if we got live rounds to fire nevermind big old grenades to hurl around.

Was told that Coors cans are slightly smaller and fit perfectly. Also the Frozen, concentrate orange juice cans will fit.

Really?!

I'll have to give those a try - thanks!

Actually I did find some "Ensure" nutritional supplement drink cans that weren't all that bad a fit; the challenge is getting something with the right density to fill them with.
    The gas will blow right through an empty and it won't go far without some weight to it.

Sand works, but it's a pain to fill the can with it through the small opening, and it tends to spray all over the place (including the shooter and the gun) on firing. Damp sand will start approximating the weight of a live grenade and will kick; don't try shoulder launching those!

I suppose we could fill them with plaster of paris or concrete - back in the 1960s beer cans full of cement were often used in muzzle loading cannon. Not terribly accurate, but they sure would tear up whatever they ran into!

It might be fun "launching" such a projectile into an old junk car to see what it might do.

One of the things I wanted to develop was a rescue buoy that could be fired with the launcher and play out a line with which to reel a distressed swimmer in to safety with - sort of like the "line launching" guns the Navy used to use, only with a floating projectile.

So far, not much luck though.

Great collections and knowledge. Thank you so much.

Regards
    KH

Default Holcombe Moor Bury, I did my JNCO Cadre there in 1985

And it was cold and wet!:
    "I'd rather be a tired old Has been, than a tired old Never Has Been!!"
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
    Semper in excremento sum, solum profunditas mutat
    http://bashingbambi.blogspot.com/

Hey I found one

He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
    Douglas Adams

The evolution of Lee Enfield grenade launchers. (I have to admit that the first two are exact replicas that I made myself !)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0739.jpg  

14 Nov. 2007
    5:50pm

As usual, a super display, Terry!

Coggansfield

Thumbs up

If you want to have some fun with the cup dischargers, here's a great "fun" video in The Screening Room (click here) section of the Milsurp Knowledge Library.

(Click PIC to Enlarge)

(Click PIC to Enlarge)

It's a range video of members engaged in The Great Canadian Tennis Ball Challenge competitive match at Milcun, using WW1 Enfield Wire Wrapped Grenade Rifles and Dischargers (click here).

Make sure you turn ON your speakers and turn the volume up to hear the sound effects !

Enjoy !! :D

Regards,
    Badger

Default mashed potato

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jaque View Post
    Since our Government, in all it's infinite wisdom, has decreed that the PVC plastic sewer pipe "Potato cannon" is a "Destructive device" and mere possession of one is now a federal crime, It's probably safe to assume that in any realm where subjects are found to be having too much fun launching golf or tennis balls or other inert projectiles, that they will be verbotten there as well, if they are not already "contrabando".
    Whne did the potato cannon ban take effect? I've missed this one! Can you provide a link or source? Thanks (I think)