M95 Steyr 8X50R Non import Serbian/Yugoslavian Marked

I aquired this M95 Rifle in a recent trade. It is a non import 8X50R mm which was in the previous owners family for approximately 42 years. It is totally non matching numbers. The stock was partially sanded but the owner decided not to refinish it. The Barrel has the Serbian/Yugoslavian markings: Crowned 'C and what appears to be the Crowned 'T'. Are these rifles scarce? I have not seen one before.

All Pictures can be seen at my Photo Web Site: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...72879467TuLxUp
    Last edited by Radom1935; 06-06-2009 at 03:49 PM.
    Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member

I have one ( a Stutzen) with those markings (Crowned 'C & Crowned 'T') on the barrel and receiver under the wood. It is also in the original 8x50r and has the serial number stamped into the stock on the left side or the receiver. Mine has all of the markings above the wood scrubbed and the serial number on the receiver stamped on the top. There is enough of the original markings left to see it was a Budapest. From what I have been able to find on the net, these rifles were given to Serbia after WWI as war reparations. Many were converted to M95Ms and some were used in their original 8x50r configuration by the Serbian Gendarmerie. I have not seen many long rifles with these markings, and the fact that it is in the original 8x50r makes it even more collectible.
    Last edited by TRICKSTER; 06-06-2009 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TRICKSTER View Post
    I have one ( a Stutzen) with those markings (Crowned 'C & Crowned 'T') on the barrel and receiver under the wood. It is also in the original 8x50r and has the serial number stamped into the stock on the left side or the receiver. Mine has all of the markings above the wood scrubbed and the serial number on the receiver stamped on the top. There is enough of the original markings left to see it was a Budapest. From what I have been able to find on the net, these rifles were given to Serbia after WWI as war reparations. Many were converted to M95Ms and some were used in their original 8x50r configuration by the Serbian Gendarmerie. I have not seen many long rifles with these markings, and the fact that it is in the original 8x50r makes it even more collectible.

Thanks for the information.
    Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member

Just being a long rifle in 8X50R is a great find.I have a M-95 carbine with the Yugoslav proof marks in 8X50r.Like Trixter pointed out many were converted to M-95M.It suprises me that any long rifles survived in that part of The world in their orginal length.I feel that the Rifles are scarce and the Yugoslav markings are an additional bonus.Remember after WW 1 it is all Yugoslavia, one big forced together Family
    The Truth is Concrete-Bertolt Brecht
    While much is too strange to be believed,nothing is too strange to have happened-Thomas Hardy