Default Anyone reloading with .303 POF ammo?

With reloading prices on the up-swing and the large surplus of .303 POF (Paki) ammo floating around out there, has anyone tried pulling the bullet, dumping the cordite and reloading the case with another powder? Details please, I have lots of this stuff and can't afford the new manufacturer prices.

That will be tough to do, as the cordite was put in the case before it was necked... cordite is a long strand propellant, not a flake, ball or IMR type propellant... you just can't pour it out. The larger problem with POF is the primers. Due to suspect/poor storage, the primers are beyond their effective service life, and reliable ignition from them is just not realistic.

So are these good only to pull the bullet for future reloading into new cases? I have lots of this marked 'POF' '68' '7'. Thanks for the advice.

Without a reliable source of berdan primers, there isn't a whole lot you can do with your brass. Have you shot any of it? Most of it works as advertised, some of it hang fires and some of it fails to fire... not reliable enough for much beyond plinking.

Default If all you'll be able to salvage is the projectile........

...............my suggestion would be to sell your POF, as surely you would be able to get enough for it to cover surplus 7.62x54r .311" pulled bullets from Widener's, and possibly your primer or powder costs.

I was able to purchase 2000 of the bullets for $152 delivered. That's 7.6 cents apeice. With that kind of pricing the POF is more valuable to someone else, assuming you don't want to shoot it. At a minimum it should cover bullets, primers, and part of your powder costs. And yes, primers and powders are beginning to show up, here and there, now.

Worse case scenario, you could use your POF sales money to purchase the really good performing Hornady .312" 150gr projectile. It would probably be a better performing bullet than the POF projectile and you wouldn't have to fiddle with pulling/possibly deforming them. Don't get me wrong, I pull down alot of military ammo to re-use, but I re-use all the components. Powder and bullets for more consistent target reloads, by segregating bullets by weight and reweighing powder to a more uniform charge. I also save the military primed cases for use in rifles/loads that I'm not that concerned with using the corrosive primers. Then I place them in the scrap bin.

It sounds as though you don't want to use the POF due to it's hangfire characteristics/corrosiveness, thus leaving you with a case, primer and powder/cordite charge that's not being used/wasted. That's why I would look for a buyer, as the loaded round would be of more use to them and of a higher value as well.

Good Luck,

Dale
    Last edited by tenntex32; 06-06-2009 at 09:03 PM.

Are you sure that POF is cordite loaded?.. I confess I have never purchased any.. BUT my experience with .303 from many other countries is that if the headstamp doesn't say "MK VII" such as Canadian, US made, Australian, ect... then it's powder, not cordite.
    If anybody has some.. maybe they should pull a bullet and see what falls out? Powder powered 303 is either marked MK VIIZ or not marked with a MK # in my experience... I don't believe POF is marked.

That said, if it has been stored so poorly that the primers are iffy.. you can probably assume the powder is iffy as well. But again I have read many happy reports of good shooting POF... so it maybe a lot by lot situation or it may be a bad rep established by initial imports like the Indian 308 with subsequent shippments being more reliable stuff.

Also, with cordite, just take some sharp tweezers and pull the center strand/stick/cord of cordite out and then the rest should slide out easy when you tip the case over, OK maybe shake it a little...

I say shoot some of what you got and see how it works for you.. if it's click bang then go with plan A and pull it down or sell it off and get something decent... but hey, it might be decent ammo to start with... lot of it is getting sold since the ammo shortage started ( mainly because that was all that was left).. but most of the click bangs stories go back to an earlier time when we all could afford to be a little more picky.
    So who knows?

Default POF 60s is definitely Cordite...

The Headstamp is "POF 67 7", the "7" being "Mart 7" (ie, Cordite)

POF didn't start loading Mark 7z (nitro tubular Powder ) until the late 1980s.

Not all POF is bad...it goes by cases, sometimes by packets, that one gets either FTF or HF. I have some friends who regularly use it for Competition, (by the case) with nary a FTF,
    others who get up to 50% FTF.

It is the primers, and storage difficulties.

Best is to use it up in practice, then any which are definitely FTF (primer defect) one can pull down for the projectile. (unless one reloads Berdan, as a lot of Aussies do, -- it has been an old tradition, reloading .303 with RWS .250 Berdan primers...( #6000).

Regards,
    Doc AV
    AV Ballistics.
    Brisbane, Australia.

Thanks guys, I have shot some (20rds) of it and have not had either a HF or FTF yet, but I don't want to risk damaging myself or the gun. I did pull one and yes, it's cordite. You can get the cordite out by tapping lightly for the stick to come out. If Berdan primers last longer in storage than Boxer, 1968 is not old at all. Maybe the primers in this case are still good. If the good vs. bad are case by case that would satisfy me, but if its a pack by pack I might just sell it off. Anyways, I may reload the stick with a powder and see how it shoots for accuracy. Thanks guys for your help.

My POF from 64 is cordite loaded. It shoots great for me. sell me yours?

I'd like to reload my POF brass if I can find primers