Default Found an Ultrastar 40 S&W cal.

Found one NIB at a local shop. (The Wifey bought it for me the next day as a surprise Birthday present but that's another story.) The shop owner bought some waay back when they first ame out. I seem to recall these in the mid-nineties at the same shop. He apparently didn't sell them all as this one was brandy new.

12 or 14 years later after seeing one for the first time I took another good hard look and decided this was one well made pistol. It fits comfortably in a belt slide and is light on the hip with only nine rounds of 40.

Not the most accurate with my handloads but with some premium Hornady 180 HP's it printed acceptable groups for defense (2" at a little less than 15 yards).

Not a lot of information on these pistols. The shop owner said the later Star pistols are some of the best made most reliable to be found. I'm just tickled to have found it!

Draybo : )

I did find this picture on the net. Info is pretty scarse!
    Last edited by Draybo; 06-12-2009 at 06:53 AM.

Nice find Draybo. I have never seen an Ultrastar in 40. I agree with you they look well made, maybe even overbuilt for strength.

Default Added surprise!

Thanks for the reply Los Adaes. She's a keeper!

I found out one other niceity in this single stack design (.40 8+1, 9mm 9+1). The reinforcing ribs of the polymer frame are shaped to provide a beveled magwell opening.

Magazine reloads are fast and easy. A very well thought out design!

I just wish spare magazines were more available as this would make a fine IDPA pistol.

nice looking pistol.
    Is it da/sa?

Default Ultrastar

Hello:

ULTRASTAR 205 were the last production of STAR in the year 1995.

They were manufactured some 10000 approximately among the two calibers: Ultrastar 205 (9 mm. Parabellum) and Ultrastar 340 (40 S&W).

They were exported in their majority to USA.

Greetings

They are nicely made handguns. I too have never seen the .40 version before. I bought a new Ultrastar 9mm like your .40 back in the mid 90's. Very reliable handgun. Digested any type of 9mm I fed it. Sold it to a friend back in 2004 or so. Sort if miss it.
    Paul

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."

George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Draybo View Post

I just wish spare magazines were more available as this would make a fine IDPA pistol.

Not that hard to get, how many do you need, 50? 100???

Quote Originally Posted by Montelongo View Post
    Hello:

ULTRASTAR 205 were the last production of STAR in the year 1995.

They were manufactured some 10000 approximately among the two calibers: Ultrastar 205 (9 mm. Parabellum) and Ultrastar 340 (40 S&W).

They were exported in their majority to USA.

Greetings
    In fact the last production of STAR wasn't ULTRASTAR models.The very last production was made of about 20000 "hybrid" 30M, 30P, 30PK, 31P and 31 PK models between June 1996 and June 1997, along with some Z84 SMG's and 31P pistols for the ERTZAINTZA (Basque territorial police).

STAR was developing an entirely new polymer pistol, with 15 round capacity at the moment of the closing, to be called M260. Just three prototypes were ever produced, at least one of them tested to destruction.
    Last edited by STAR; 06-17-2009 at 10:15 AM.

I am an international patron of Gunboards

I did not know Star every made a polymer pistol.
    Interesting find.

tomob1 it is DA/SA with a cocked and not locked SA. The safety moves the firing pin into the slide out of contact with the hammer. The hammer SA and DA work as usual but a round will not be fired due to no hammer contact on the firing pin. If the safety is moved to it's upper most position then it functions as a hammer drop.

I can see lots of dry fire practice especialy in the DA mode with no ill effects on the pistol.
    A really slick design!!

Star, I would be happy with just four magazines, truly. *chuckle* They are a little hard to locate on this side of the pond.

Thank You all for the kind input and the statistics.

Thanks for the reply Los Adaes. She's a keeper!
    I agree with you.

You should also keep the pistol.

:-)

Default 40 Ultrastar

I have a Ultrastar in 40 S&W, the only way I'll part with it is when I die.

Not the most accurate pistol that's for sure, but I know it will never jam on me.

Not that hard to get, how many do you need, 50? 100???

I am interested in finding a couple spare mags so if "Star" has an outlet (that doesn't include sending cash overseas) I'd be interested.

Default wtb ultrastar 40mag

i own an ultrastar 40 and am looking for spare mags if anyone can help, thanks. oh and ill post a pic of mine it looks a little differ than some posted,