Gunboards Forums banner

Ammo for Hog hunting

4K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  shucks 
#1 · (Edited)
I will be going hog hunting in a couple of week with my 2 sons. My one son wants to use my mosin m38. I have some wolf fmj - would this be ok or should I get some soft points? Thanks

#3 ·
Hogs are not terribly hard to kill but there is no way I would use FMJ ammo. A M38 makes a fine hog rifle and S&B 180 grain soft points will put a hog down quick with a head or low shoulder shot. They tend to run a ways if shot behind the shoulder like one might a deer. The last dozen or so I killed with mid neck shots. Seldom kills instantly but anchors them well and they bleed out quick.

#8 ·
good times had by all

Me and my two sons (22 & 27) did the hog hunt and we had a great time! I got mine with a Saiga 12 with a slug, my youngest used an m44 with 203 grain soft points and my oldest used a 454 casull with 330 grain hollow points. Mine is the one in the middle. We went on around noon and by 1:30 we were done. My sons's chased theirs down and dogs flushed mine out. Fast action and all were hit on the run. It was a good day and a lot of fun. Thanks to all for the advice on ammo.

#13 ·
Wrong spear unless you are on a horse and "sticking" them from above. A proper boar spear (which I am NOT going to use except in extremis, meaning I'm on the ground, the hog is coming and that's all I got, no guns to hand at all) has a cross-bar a foot or so behind the tip of the point. Keeps the hog from spitting himself, running right up the spear and (at this point being VERY aggravated) using his tusks to do grievous bodily harm to you.

#16 ·
I love to hunt pigs. It is good stuff. Great shootinig and good meat. congrats on the hunt.

I'm jealous as it's been so long since I got out hunting. Some folks around where I used to hunt shoot FMJ as they think it increases the chance of multiple kils with one shot on bait. they pour the bait in a straight line in hopes that the can get them lined up decently and shoot once at multiples. this one old man (now dead) shot 2 200lbers right through the head with a 270 in one shot, said they were eating the bait and he shot them both with one shot a 20-30yds right through the ears. It has to be the best shooting I have ever seen in the field. I wonder how long he looked at those things eating on the corn and sweet potatos he had out waiting on that shot to line up. He was shooting FMJ and I only know of it because he always called my brother and I to come get his game out of the woods after he shot it, and we got these that night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.